FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   London hotel advice...preferably new or newly-renovated chain hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1936408-london-hotel-advice-preferably-new-newly-renovated-chain-hotel.html)

1flyer Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm

London hotel advice...preferably new or newly-renovated chain hotel

I have a leisure trip to London coming up. I'm not looking for something luxurious, around the 4* level would do just fine.

During my last two trips, I've stayed at the Indigo Kensington and the Novotel Canary Wharf, respectively. I want to try a different hotel this time. Due to hotel status, it should be either IHG, Accor, Hilton, Starriott, or Radisson (in decreasing order of preference).

On my list so far:

- CP London Albert Embankment
- Indigo London Algate or Kimpton Fitzroy (should they open in time)
- Novotel London Blackfriars (Novotel Canary Wharf is out; it's relatively new, yes, but I don't find the location convenient)
- Lincoln Plaza London, Curio Collection (only if there is a decent sale, the rate is currently too high for my liking).

Any thoughts or any other hotels I should look into?

WorldLux Oct 19, 2018 1:32 pm

The Hilton Bankside could be an option too if it's not too busy. During busier periods, it can get quite a bit more expensive.

NWIFlyer Oct 20, 2018 4:40 am

Whilst not new, CP Blackfriars is exceptionally well maintained in my experience, with good treatment of Elites (usually Exec Lounge access and a very decent room upgrade for Spire, possibly for Plat as well). The view across London from the lounge is superb.

1flyer Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 30333769)
The Hilton Bankside could be an option too if it's not too busy.

Thanks. This is probably a better option among the Hilton properties; I just realized the new Curio Collection is located in Canary Wharf near the Novotel.

expatboy Oct 23, 2018 8:37 am

I stayed at the Angel Hilton a few months back, and it was really nice. Comfortable and modern rooms, and reasonably well-connected on the Tube...although I converted to Uber on that trip :-)

TomMM Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm

London Bridge Hilton is worth a stay.

JohnM5 Nov 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Not sure if this is too late.....
Just had a couple of nights at CP Albert Embankment. Fairly central for walking, but 10 minutes from nearest tube station if you want to go further afield. Opened 4 weeks ago, a few minor (and not at all troublesome teething problems). Small hotel (77 rooms) and a very personal feel; I think they have more staff than rooms and they seem to care. Also, this could just be me (apologies), but for novelty value book a Club Room which comes with a Toto Washlet (not seen one of these in the UK before!).
Can't help but feel this should have been a Kimpton

1flyer Nov 29, 2018 1:19 pm

@JohnM5: Thanks for sharing your experience.

In fact, I just booked the property today. Room rates during the IHG sale (and, in fact, the weeks before) were fluctuating quite a bit, with the lowest rates usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I just booked standard, let's see if they give a decent upgrade to a newly-minted Spire Amb.

ARR72 Oct 2, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by 1flyer (Post 30480755)
@JohnM5: Thanks for sharing your experience.

In fact, I just booked the property today. Room rates during the IHG sale (and, in fact, the weeks before) were fluctuating quite a bit, with the lowest rates usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I just booked standard, let's see if they give a decent upgrade to a newly-minted Spire Amb.

I realize it’s been a while but care to share your experience from that stay? Did they upgrade you or give you club access? Thanks

rcspeirs Oct 3, 2019 1:32 am

"I just realized the new Curio Collection is located in Canary Wharf "
It's not even in the Canary Wharf complex - it's a good ten minute walk away from the Wharf. The area around that building is a huge building site at the moment - they're pushing their luck with those prices for that location at the moment.

yann Nov 2, 2019 5:33 am

Hello,
Do you have any recommendation for good value chain hotels in London for end of year holidays?
Can we expect a year-end promo for lower rates like there used to be with IHG?
Thanks in advance.