Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Connection times US to LHR to DUB to US quick return.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection times US to LHR to DUB to US quick return.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse
All good points. But the flight thru LHR to DUB is available as a connected ticket, and shows either the 8:20 or 10:50 flight to Dublin as valid itineraries after arriving at LHR at 6:50am. The additional leg just bumps the itinerary cost to nearly twice as much if purchased that way. If I really need more time in DUB taking the 10:50 flight, I can fly to Boston a half hour later for $20 more than PHL. I am (still planning to) bridge business class 777 lie down seats using the AerLingus sale. BTW, what, if any delay benefits does the fact that I would be flying all OneWorld provide?
I'm not sure if you are either woefully or willfully misguided. I suggest you significantly re-align your assumptions away from the supposed reality provided by the digital universe (i.e. Google maps etc) and focus on the real world reality provided by experienced travellers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Two sets of security....

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You need less time in LHR and more in DUB.
You really are asking for trouble with this proposed itinerary.
You cannot "self-connect" in DUB (ie. use the Connections Centre on separate itineraries) - will need to exit in T1 entering Ireland and then walking to T2 and going through two sets of security again.
But what if I choose to fly Aer Lingus from LHR to DUB? I would
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse
But what if I choose to fly Aer Lingus from LHR to DUB? I would
it doesn't appear so , you would arrive in to T2 on EI but you still need to go through immigration and go landside.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight...er-information

Please Note: Self-connecting passengers are not permitted to use the Flight Connections facility
If your EI flight is say 30 minutes late landing in to DUB (LHR is an extremely busy airport and departure delays of this scale are not uncommon) what is your plan to get back to the US when you miss your DUB-US flight?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

No checked baggage

So what is the route from the artrival gate at t2 through immigration (I assume non schenzen) , landside, us customs to departure gate? And if I ask aer lingus to link the flights from lhr to dub and dub to phl I could go through the procedure in the link above, correct?

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Oct 20, 2018 at 9:47 am Reason: Question
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You're still persisting!
You cannot link/join/combine/put together two separate itineraries/tickets.
EI may put a note in the record, but it has no practical effect.
As per the DUB airport website, no self-connecting through the Connections Centre.
When you arrive at T2, you exit through immigration and baggage ... enter the Arrivals Hall, go downstairs to Departures and check-in with EI, go through security, head to US PreClearance, go through security again, go through USCBP and then into departures area for US flights.
Where do you get Schengen from? Ireland is not in the Schengen zone. Nor is the UK.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just book it an report back on the outcome.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I have now traveled through Dub twice. First time was longest, arriving early in Terminal 1, leaving late morning out of Terminal 2. This only took about 3/4 of an hour with no checked bags, because there was virtually no line at customs (early arrival, near front of the plane) , small line at initial security, and I found the door to the right leading to USA pre-clearance in T2, and got through quickly with Global Entry. Even easier was my second transfer, only about 20 minutes arriving and departing from T2 on Aer Lingus with absolutely no checks at all in between flights into Dub through to Europe. Just follow the transfer flights sign to the right. They just checked my passport at the next gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.