American English/British English question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Now that will get a laugh!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

One thing to be aware of is that you need to ask for the bill/check. Don't expect it to appear when you've finished eating as it does in the US.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
One thing to be aware of is that you need to ask for the bill/check. Don't expect it to appear when you've finished eating as it does in the US.
And also, it's a bill, not a check, which term might not be understood outside tourist areas. A check is something you do to ensure that everything is ok. A cheque is a now obsolete method of paying bills.
MSPeconomist and DocWatson like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Be aware most British won't understand what DH stands for.
The DH is the designated hitter.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
A cheque is a now obsolete method of paying bills.
Not to our landlord!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
One business and political term which has confused the partners in my international law firm for years is "table". Americans "table" a proposal if they wish to postpone discussion of it (i.e. put in on the tab le and forget about it); Brits "table" a proposal they want discussed now (i.e. [put on the table for discussion). Causes more confusion IME than any other set of meanings and apparently it caused endless confusion during combined military staff meetings during the war.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by hsmall
One business and political term which has confused the partners in my international law firm for years is "table". Americans "table" a proposal if they wish to postpone discussion of it (i.e. put in on the tab le and forget about it); Brits "table" a proposal they want discussed now (i.e. [put on the table for discussion). Causes more confusion IME than any other set of meanings and apparently it caused endless confusion during combined military staff meetings during the war.
I’m going to show my cultural bias here by saying the British use of “table” makes far more sense 🙂
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispy84

I’m going to show my cultural bias here by saying the British use of “table” makes far more sense 🙂
I thought Americans used "rain check" for delaying something. Whereas a rain check is what we Brits do every day before we set off.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
The one that gets me is when Americans say they *could* care less (instead of could not)... clearly their level of caring has not yet reached its nadir!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The one that gets me is when Americans say they *could* care less (instead of could not)... clearly their level of caring has not yet reached its nadir!
Yeah, but we say "cheap at half the price", so it evens out.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall
I have never ever heard of that postpone meaning. We Brits use 'park' for that, e.g. "ok let's park that for now". Is that used in the US too?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I have never ever heard of that postpone meaning. We Brits use 'park' for that, e.g. "ok let's park that for now". Is that used in the US too?
Not that I've heard. Table as a verb can actually mean either "delay until a future session" or "delay indefinitely", so it's one of those delightful contronyms whose contradictory meanings you have to sort out on the fly.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Fortnight. Gets them every time!
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by bensyd
Fortnight. Gets them every time!
Do they play that in the UK too?
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the distinction between a check/cheque versus a bill, and subway versus underground/tube, IME one of the biggest issues that a tourist could face is the difference between a bus (local) and a coach (long distance). I once instructed a taxi (black cab) to take me to the Victoria bus station with my luggage, when I meant the Victoria coach station (a couple blocks away). I almost missed my coach to Oxford as a result.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And it's almost autumn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.