Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London Pasta - casual and cheap?

Old Sep 20, 18, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Since i got some good recommendations on the Paddington Station thread, thought I would ask about pasta.

Sunday evening, just myself. I don't want to dress up, don't want to wait in a long line. Willing to spend a bit of money, but leaning more to comfort food. Will be coming from Waterloo Station area, but willing to go where ever the tube or a cab can get me.

P.S. i have jheard good things about Emilia's and especially Padella, but worried about the wait times.
Old Sep 21, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
There's a couple right by Waterloo. Ristorante Olivelli- Our Menus, A La Carte and La Barca Italian Restaurant London Waterloo La Barca is on Lower Marsh which is a funky little enclave.
Old Sep 22, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
If you're happy to head up to Soho (Bakerloo line to Piccadilly from Waterloo) try Mele e Pere http://meleepere.co.uk/menu/a-la-carte-menu for something a little funky and different. There are tables upstairs, but downstairs its quite funky. No need to dress up and the food is fab ranging from the traditional to the extra-ordinary! Been so many times - love the staff and the place!

Alternatively if you have a hunger for pasta and no fuss, I've always found Spaghetti House to be fine. And depending on where you are Vapiano may be worth a look too.
Old Sep 22, 18, 8:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
If chains are ok then I've only had good experiences at Carluccios and Strada but I go to ones that are not crowded in the suburbs
Old Sep 22, 18, 3:59 pm

Ristorante Olivelli (mentioned above) is perfectly pleasant.
Old Sep 22, 18, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Olivelli's menu looks good. I was always nervous with chains without recommendations. Now I have 2.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:12 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Padella near London Bridge. Relatively inexpensive (though you probably need to order two dishes of pasta if you're skipping the appetizers) but long queues. On my most recent visit they started taking names + phone numbers allowing you to go to a pub and wait there. It's just outside the Borough market exits of London Bridge Tube station.

https://www.padella.co/#home
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Will they seat just one customer, especially if they have long lines?
Old Sep 23, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Will they seat just one customer, especially if they have long lines?
Absolutely
Old Sep 23, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Padella near London Bridge. Relatively inexpensive (though you probably need to order two dishes of pasta if you're skipping the appetizers) but long queues. On my most recent visit they started taking names + phone numbers allowing you to go to a pub and wait there. It's just outside the Borough market exits of London Bridge Tube station.

Is it as good as the queues suggest or are they there because of the cheapness? I went by once at 11.45am and the queue had doubled back on itself before it opened at 12pm. Generally when I go to Borough Market there are too many other appealing stalls that don't have a wait - but not a seat to be fair!
Old Sep 24, 18, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
It may be a little far, but we loved Artusi in Peckham when we ate there 3 years ago. Short menu, but really well executed and excellent pasta.
Old Sep 24, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I know artusi very well and would say it is excellent bit you must book ahead!
Old Sep 26, 18, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post

Also near the Borough Market... when we've stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge, we've wandered down Bermondsey Street, through the tunnel, toward the south. You get away from much of the tourist stuff, and it seems like a real neighborhood. In looking at the map, Village East and Flower & Grape are two places I know we've eaten at, but there are probably more.

I remember going to Village East once and they told us, "we can seat you now, but you only have 90 minutes since the table is booked later." That was more than enough time. Heck in the US many restaurants get people in/out in 45 minutes or even less.

In addition to local restaurants, that area has lots of little shops if you have time and want to wander around.
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

I'll be there on a Sunday. I was watching Sorted food, and thinking maybe there is a decent pasta place in one of the markets that is open on Sundays?
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I'll be there on a Sunday. I was watching Sorted food, and thinking maybe there is a decent pasta place in one of the markets that is open on Sundays?
I'd recommend heading over to Mercato Metropolitano near Elephant and Castle. About a 20 minute walk from Waterloo, or 8 minutes driving. Open Sundays, lots of options. I particularly like the Italian wine shop with food. Very bustling, great atmosphere.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: