Search

Trying to post a parcel from LGW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Trying to post a parcel from LGW

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to post a parcel from LGW whilst on a 2-3 hour transit.

I will have access to the ground side but can't seem to find any post office...

Anyone know how I might be able to do so? for example is there a post box that might accept parcels?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
.....I'm trying to post a parcel from LGW whilst on a 2-3 hour transit.
I will have access to the ground side but can't seem to find any post office...
Anyone know how I might be able to do so? for example is there a post box that might accept parcels?
https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...nger-services/
"Post office" in https://www.gatwickairport.com/faqs/...ry=post+office gets a nil useful result
Would be little demand for postal services compared to the cost of providing a full post office

But "mail drops" are listed in
Facilities at Gatwick Airport - Airport Guides Network
https://www.airportmailbox.com/london-gatwick-lgw/

The airport map page is probably the best place to start as there doesn’t seem to be any specific page dedicated to postal facilities. Fortunately the maps are pretty good!
Mail Drops
Look for mail drops in the following locations:
  • North Terminal departure lounge, lower level, as you exit security: it’s next to the currency exchange kiosk
  • North Terminal, level 1 check-in: next to a bank of elevators and a special assistance help point
  • North Terminal, arrivals level: located close to a staircase for the South Terminal shuttle; in the hallway near Boots and London News Company
  • North Terminal, level 2 check-in: next to London News Company and a special assistance help point
  • South Terminal, level 2 check-in: next to the airport concierge
  • South Terminal, level 2 check-in: next to WHSmith
  • South Terminal, level 2 arrivals: next to the lost property and immigration phone; an information kiosk should also be nearby. It’s close to M&S Simply Food.
  • South Termial, level 3 departures: pre-security. You’ll pass it if you’re using the escalators from the check-in level 2. It’s next to the security checkpoint for families and those who need assistance; it’s close to a bank of telephones and a currency exchange.
Edit
https://opening-hours.today/en/view/...atwick-airport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 8, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unlike Heathrow T3, there isn't a post office at Gatwick. There is one in Martins, a newsagent in the main shopping centre of Horley, a few minutes walk from Horley Station, which is about a mile from LGW station. I guess that is only 10 minutes from LGW South all in, but the issue is there are only 4 trains an hour and they are bunched up, so there can be 30 minute gaps between services at times.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:19 pm

Sent you a PM
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
thanks guys
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
It appears there's a bus service that runs from LGW to Horley more regularly than the train
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Excess Baggage Compny, where they offer baggage storage service, can arrange for parcel delivery. Note, their charges are pretty high.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...xcess-baggage/
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:06 pm

I was actually looking for postal services at LHR but I see that one is pre-security. I only have an hour layover at LHR and I'm not sure which terminal I'll be flying into (I believe it's 3, JFK to LHR on AA) but I won't have time to leave security and come back. Any advice on how I can ship a small package? Not sure what a mail drop is
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AA flies from T3.

A 'mail drop' is basically a post box but the last time I needed one the slit was very narrow so only really for thin envelopes not thicker packages (probbaly to stop people buying items in duty free and then posting them home,

I'm guessing you'd also need stamps but as postal charges depend on weight you really need a post office (or a store with postal services)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
AA flies from T3.

A 'mail drop' is basically a post box but the last time I needed one the slit was very narrow so only really for thin envelopes not thicker packages (probbaly to stop people buying items in duty free and then posting them home,

I'm guessing you'd also need stamps but as postal charges depend on weight you really need a post office (or a store with postal services)
Yes, exactly unless I can do all that before I take off (measure/weight the package, pay for postage, print the label etc). But I'm guessing not. I'm just trying to save money by not sending it from the US to the destination in the UK.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You can buy postage online

You can buy genuinely unused British stamps at collectors fairs in the US for about half their face value, I get my stamps from someone who buys them in this way when they visit the US.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by :D!
You can buy postage online

You can buy genuinely unused British stamps at collectors fairs in the US for about half their face value, I get my stamps from someone who buys them in this way when they visit the US.
Oh, I will look into this, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.