Search

Minimum (reasonable) connection EDI - GLA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Minimum (reasonable) connection EDI - GLA

Knowledgeable peeps of FT,

I'm trying to combine a trip on the 767 ex LHR with a trip to BRR. Naturally, this can't be done easily as the 767 goes to EDI and the Barra prop is ex GLA.

Is four hours a doable time to transfer from EDI to GLA?

Coming back I'm not as worried as I will probably overnight in Scotland somewhere before doing the 767 back a day later.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:13 am

What time are you arriving into EDI? Would suggest getting the number 100 bus to Haymarket and then the train to Glasgow Queen Street. Make sure you get the train that goes via Falkirk High.

If you go HBO I would estimate this to take a maximum of 90 minutes barring any delays. The M8 motorway doesn't take much to get snarled up particularly at rush hour.

From Glasgow Queen Street if you walk to Buchanan Bus Station which is 5 minutes or so there's at least a bus every 10 minutes or so which takes around half an hour. You can also get a taxi or an uber but the bus drops you at the main terminal.

You are at the risk of public transport so normal caveats apply but I would say 2 hours is reasonable.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mtikky

I'm trying to combine a trip on the 767 ex LHR with a trip to BRR. Naturally, this can't be done easily as the 767 goes to EDI and the Barra prop is ex GLA.

Coming back I'm not as worried as I will probably overnight in Scotland somewhere before doing the 767 back a day later.
If you don't have a car then your best bet is the bus. You'll need to change in Glasgow. Assuming no problems on the M8 then two hours should do it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
What time are you arriving into EDI?
Aiming for 0745 ex LHR, 0910 into EDI, then the 1330 ex GLA.

You are at the risk of public transport so normal caveats apply but I would say 2 hours is reasonable.
Sounds fair and compares with using the express coaches from what I found. Thank you
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For one reason or another I often find myself in EDI and my car in GLA or vice versa. The way I do it is to take the half hourly service on Citylink, which picks up from EDI directly in front of the airport entrance (bear left-ish a bit) and takes an hour to get to Glasgow bus station. The 500 bus from there goes to the airport. Very little walking in all of this, so though it's not the fastest means of travel it's pretty convenient. The minimum travel time possible is about 90 minutes, however if you were unlucky it could take a bit over 2 hours. In a taxi it will take about 75 minutes.

https://www.citylink.co.uk/citylinkair.php
https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-glasgow/plan-journey/timetables/?operator=10&service=500&page=1&redirect=no
mtikky, HIDDY and farci like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:24 am

Sounds fair and compares with using the express coaches from what I found. Thank you
I used to get the bus every day for work as I work in West Edinburgh and have switched to the train which I have found to be far more reliable and comfortable. After 9.30 the fare will be off peak as well.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

I'll bear both options in mind. My day job means I get very cheap train travel in Scotland.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
What time are you arriving into EDI? Would suggest getting the number 100 bus to Haymarket and then the train to Glasgow Queen Street. Make sure you get the train that goes via Falkirk High.

If you go HBO I would estimate this to take a maximum of 90 minutes barring any delays. The M8 motorway doesn't take much to get snarled up particularly at rush hour.

From Glasgow Queen Street if you walk to Buchanan Bus Station which is 5 minutes or so there's at least a bus every 10 minutes or so which takes around half an hour. You can also get a taxi or an uber but the bus drops you at the main terminal.

The 500 airport bus stops right outside Queen St Station, east exit on North Hanover St. I'm going to use it in about ten minutes ! Ł8 single fare.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Why not fly to GLA on the outbound and then do the journey home via EDI 767, so minimising any possible issues?
An Embraer from LCY to GLA for example...!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
A faster option also worth a look is to take a taxi to Linlithgow Railway Station and then catch a Glasgow Queen Street service there. That will avoid you backtracking to Haymarket. If you pre-book one of the Linlithgow cab companies it won't be too bad. Combined with your PRIV fare on the train it would be reasonably inexpensive. Once at Queen Street the bus CWS mentioned is the best option.

On a geeky note I seem to recall there was a flight between EDI and GLA back in the early 1990's - presumably it was point A - EDI - GLA or vice versa?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sealink
Why not fly to GLA on the outbound and then do the journey home via EDI 767, so minimising any possible issues?
An Embraer from LCY to GLA for example...!
You sure you don't work for BA? ;-)

I'll run with that and have a relaxing train ride back from Queen Street on the second day.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold

it should be enough time, though the M8 can be a tricky one, especially on approach to Glasgow, at any time of day (I speak as a disgruntled Glaswegian, who has been at the mercy of M8 Traffic) . You have the option of the bus or train into glasgow from EDI. Train takes about 70 mins.
Sealink likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller

On a geeky note I seem to recall there was a flight between EDI and GLA back in the early 1990's - presumably it was point A - EDI - GLA or vice versa?
I was certainly on a BMI flight that went CPH-EDI-GLA in about 2002/3.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
A faster option also worth a look is to take a taxi to Linlithgow Railway Station and then catch a Glasgow Queen Street service there. That will avoid you backtracking to Haymarket. If you pre-book one of the Linlithgow cab companies it won't be too bad. Combined with your PRIV fare on the train it would be reasonably inexpensive. Once at Queen Street the bus CWS mentioned is the best option.

BMI's Glasgow Copenhagen service stopped in EDI but can't recall if you could book that sector.

Brymon, I think used to sell tickets on the route as one of the services did something similar.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
BMI's Glasgow Copenhagen service stopped in EDI but can't recall if you could book that sector.

Brymon, I think used to sell tickets on the route as one of the services did something similar.
Interesting. I had not realised BMI was still doing it in the early naughties. I remember it from when Edinburgh Airport used to produce a printed timetable of all flights and I am pretty sure that you could book the EDI-GLA sector at that time.

Albeit not scheduled but I have done PIK-GLA on BA which was quite amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.