Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

AMS to LHR customs/passport question, help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS to LHR customs/passport question, help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Looks fine to me. I would definitely book this ticket if it were cheap.
From AMS, AA flies only to PHL and DFW. From the OP's profile, it would appear that they are located in North Carolina. AA has non-stop flights from LHR to both RDU or CLT.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by Often1
You misunderstand what I wrote because you are confusing "tickets" and "PNR". If you don't know the jargon, don't use it.
I actually was trying not to and did not use jargon I don't know. Sorry if tickets/tix was too vague, No way to book a "PNR" with the flights/tickets I was thinking he might need, with the company, due to the their crazy price policies. And yes, they are cheap. And no, he is not allowed to book direct-if he'd like to be reimbursed.

The upside, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with AA and his travel desk today and I get to go (on my dime) and we are going to have a lovely trip to London and Amsterdam. I got the dreaded B off his PNR (am I using it properly?) so I was able to choose a seat for him with me right beside him-aisle and window.

Not quite sure how to thank everyone, individually, who has answered my query, without hitting my newbie daily limit. BUT, THANK YOU, ALL for trying to help and offering your expertise and advice.

Our final itinerary is GSO to LHR and back, with the LHR/AMS RT in the middle. We may do the train
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The train between London and Amsterdam is indeed an option and prices can be very reasonable.

Even if you have to change from Eurostar to Thalys at brusells the connection is very easy
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hipquest
Is 2 hours, before his next flight, enough time for my husband to clear customs/passport or whatever before he boards a US (home) bound flight? Trying to book directly through AA increases the cost almost 200%, booking BA on the round trip from LHR/AMS roundtrip saves thousands of dollars, so the all of his flights will not be on the same reservation #. Any experience or advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Originally Posted by hipquest
I actually was trying not to and did not use jargon I don't know. Sorry if tickets/tix was too vague, No way to book a "PNR" with the flights/tickets I was thinking he might need, with the company, due to the their crazy price policies. And yes, they are cheap. And no, he is not allowed to book direct-if he'd like to be reimbursed.

The upside, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with AA and his travel desk today and I get to go (on my dime) and we are going to have a lovely trip to London and Amsterdam. I got the dreaded B off his PNR (am I using it properly?) so I was able to choose a seat for him with me right beside him-aisle and window.

Not quite sure how to thank everyone, individually, who has answered my query, without hitting my newbie daily limit. BUT, THANK YOU, ALL for trying to help and offering your expertise and advice.

Our final itinerary is GSO to LHR and back, with the LHR/AMS RT in the middle. We may do the train
Welcome to FT, hipquest.

It sounds like you are a bit confused by the advice you are being given. Certainly your last post confuses me. Let me try and make sense of this.

Your husband is returning from a European business trip but his company will only pay for the cheaper London-USA flight, rather than from Amsterdam. Whilst it is none of my business, it seems strange to me that they want him to travel to Amsterdam but are not willing to pay for it on one ticket, given the obvious dangers of travelling on two tickets (more on that in a minute). You are asking whether two hours is enough time for him to catch his LHR flight to the US having arrived from AMS, correct?

When you are travelling on separate tickets, the general rule (there are exceptions) is that you are unprotected between tickets. For you, this means that, if the BA flight from AMS is cancelled or late, and he doesn't show up in time or at all for the AA flight to the US, he will simply be considered a no-show and the ticket cancelled. To get home he would have to buy a new one-way ticket on the day (hint, this is expensive). BA owes you nothing in this case.

If you are unwilling or unable to book it as one ticket, I would strongly recommend your husband flies in to LHR the night before. Of course it is doable, even on separate tickets (he will need to transfer from T5 to T3) but it has risks. As long as he is aware of these and the consequences, fine.

As to the second part I quoted, I have no idea what the 'dreaded B off his PNR' means, but what I wrote above still applies (to you both) on your return.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT, hipquest.

It sounds like you are a bit confused by the advice you are being given. Certainly your last post confuses me. Let me try and make sense of this.

Your husband is returning from a European business trip but his company will only pay for the cheaper London-USA flight, rather than from Amsterdam. Whilst it is none of my business, it seems strange to me that they want him to travel to Amsterdam but are not willing to pay for it on one ticket, given the obvious dangers of travelling on two tickets (more on that in a minute). You are asking whether two hours is enough time for him to catch his LHR flight to the US having arrived from AMS, correct?

When you are travelling on separate tickets, the general rule (there are exceptions) is that you are unprotected between tickets. For you, this means that, if the BA flight from AMS is cancelled or late, and he doesn't show up in time or at all for the AA flight to the US, he will simply be considered a no-show and the ticket cancelled. To get home he would have to buy a new one-way ticket on the day (hint, this is expensive). BA owes you nothing in this case.

If you are unwilling or unable to book it as one ticket, I would strongly recommend your husband flies in to LHR the night before. Of course it is doable, even on separate tickets (he will need to transfer from T5 to T3) but it has risks. As long as he is aware of these and the consequences, fine.

As to the second part I quoted, I have no idea what the 'dreaded B off his PNR' means, but what I wrote above still applies (to you both) on your return.
@LondonElite Thanks for your reply. I'll try to explain.DH has had this trip on his calendar for a couple of months. He is taking a couple of his Tennessee clients to the NFL game in London on the 21st. On the 22nd he has a meeting with one of client companies in Amsterdam. Plan A was for me to meet DH in Amsterdam and take the train back to London. When I travel alone I book Business or First, but nailing down the Amsterdam meeting took forever and the fare got crazy (for me). When I posted my question I was trying to figure out Plan B, an itinerary for DH alone. Yes, he (actually, me) is required to figure all this out and send in very specific info (flight #, time, airline, etc) to his corporate travel desk. To make a long story shorter we are now on Plan C, we are traveling together. The "dreaded B" was the code on his Basic Economy ticket that was actually not meant to be booked that way. Once I was able to confirm seat assignments for both of us it was fine. So we will fly GSO to LHR round trip, with a couple of days in Amsterdam in the middle. One-way for both of us to AMS and a train back to London for PTO.

Since my DH does this type of trip a few times a year (the London/Amsterdam part-not the NFL game) all the info y'all have given has been very helpful. His company was bought late last year and, through all the merger steps,this is his first experience with his new corporate travel desk regarding international travel.

Sorry I have no clue how to use the multi-quote function. If anyone has a link to the proper thread for an explanation I'd be very appreciative. Tried the search tool but...

Again, thank you all so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.