Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by T8191
Do please report back, even if it is a bit OT ... it seems reasonably well favoured!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...n_England.html
They justed the the TV over so I can watch the Liverpool match, so we're off to a good start
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Do please report back, even if it is a bit OT ... it seems reasonably well favoured!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...n_England.html
So, hard to know exactly how to comment ,the readership of this board are quite a particular crowd!
There was no LPGS, but there were multiple bottles of Mateus Rose being consumed.

I went for the Mixed grill and it was OK. I like my meat medium rare, and everything was well done.
The table next to me all had the fish and it looked good, I would go for that next time.
Service was very good

I would go back when i stay at the doubletree, I wouldn't make a special journey.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LoneTravellerUK
Blimey all

Been a little while since i checked-in on the this thread and have some news..

I chickened-out (excuse the pun...off to Kiev,,,,) of the Uber/cab option and went for the Thistle hotel. I chose this primarily out of convenience, and the prospect of the observation terrace to do some aircraft spotting finally swung the deal. £51 all-in for the night,

I will let you know what the hotel is like, along with a brief resume of my transport from the hotel to T5 (bus 423 by the looks of it).

Once again many thanks to all who have contributed.

regards

Paul
The Thistle rooms are very old fashioned, with corridors from the Shining. However, staff are lovely and the public area around reception, with a bar and little shop is nice. And I slept well!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
So, hard to know exactly how to comment ,the readership of this board are quite a particular crowd!
There was no LPGS, but there were multiple bottles of Mateus Rose being consumed.

I went for the Mixed grill and it was OK. I like my meat medium rare, and everything was well done.
The table next to me all had the fish and it looked good, I would go for that next time.
Service was very good

I would go back when i stay at the doubletree, I wouldn't make a special journey.
Continuing my culinary adventure of the Heathrow area, yesterday I was staying again at the HGI hatton cross.

A short 5min walk away is Super Singh's. Vegan fast food.
I had a spicy paneer wrap , chips and bottle of lemonade for £5

It's was decent tasty food, admittedly not diet food but great value!
Also super friendly staff and packed with locals

Will be my go-to choice when staying at the HGI in future
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
I'm looking at a very good rate for the Holiday Inn T5. Is it outside the free bus zone? And which bus would you take to T5? (Google maps suggests 81, H57, or 10, with the 10 being fastest.)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
I'm looking at a very good rate for the Holiday Inn T5. Is it outside the free bus zone? And which bus would you take to T5? (Google maps suggests 81, H57, or 10, with the 10 being fastest.)
The Hoppa would be easiest
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1flyer
It is outside, see this TfL bus route diagram http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-...ow-t5-0117.pdf

Poyle to the west of T5 is out. It seems either 10/11 or the Hoppa are the bus choices.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Holiday inn t5 is obe i stay in frequently

yes it is outside the free zone

the 10 goes straight to/ from the hotel to t5 but is quite infrequent. Cost is somewhere around 2.20 each way. Oyster is not accepted

From the airport tend to take the 7 or 423 (free) to the thistle hotel in longford village and tben cross the road back the way i came on tbe 81 to the poyle road stop - 1.50 on oyster.

the hoppa is £5 each way. Going to the hotel is great as its the first stop. Not so pleasant on the way back as you call at the hilton and the travel lodge
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:55 pm

I'm going to gatecrash this thread as I I think LHR has been covered. Suddenly find myself at Manchester Airport in about 10 days time, late train in and either the first BA flight or the BE flight to SEN in the morning.

Which hotel? I won't get the train station until midnight, so one I can get to from Manchester Airport Station to hotel to airport easily? What's the FT hotel of choice?
As a local I don't have significant opinion on the central hotels at MAN, but they all seem to be a fairly easy walk from the railway station (and to T1 and T3). However, if arriving by train via Manchester Piccadilly I would be inclined to get off at Heald Green and use the Manchester Airport Premier Inn Heald Green(not to be confused with the Premier Inn Manchester Airport M56 or Premier Inn Manchester Airport, which are both a couple of miles on the opposite side of the central area. Local trains into the airport from Heald Green run only hourly at xx.50, apart from two early ones at 05.37 and 06.43, but there are long distance trains at other times. The journey time is 3minutes for some, four minutes for others. If train times are not convenient, local taxis or private hire cars should be fairly east to get
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
Premier Inn is a perfectly acceptable choice, what they do they do very well, and you will nearly always find postive reviews on TripAdvisor.
We are just back from using the Premier Inn at T4, followed the advice on here and used the 482 bus both ways. Easy connections via underground into London and on return we made it back from platform to room on the 6th floor in 15 mins at a brisk pace. Room overlooked the runway and no noise to disturb sleep. The early morning bus at 4.50 was packed with staff going to catering/cargo area. At £50 a night good value for a London stop.
Thanks for info people
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Camflyer
I don't think I've ever had a problem in a Premier Inn anywhere in the country. They are a great example of "you know what you are going to get" consistency. Travelodge on the other hand are much more variable.
And thus... is the Travelodge T5 decent at all or to be avoided. On a night with a very early start I can get a room for £36 which is tempting. Everything else is more (about £20 more for Premier Inn all the way up to £159 for the Sofitel booked direct and not much of a saving through hotwire). Would I regret going for it?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:03 am

I stayed at the T5 Travelodge once and liked it. It's no frills, for sure but it was bright clean and delivered what it said. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I just needed somewhere to kip for an early start.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by RGS5526
As a local I don't have significant opinion on the central hotels at MAN, but they all seem to be a fairly easy walk from the railway station (and to T1 and T3). However, if arriving by train via Manchester Piccadilly I would be inclined to get off at Heald Green and use the Manchester Airport Premier Inn Heald Green(not to be confused with the Premier Inn Manchester Airport M56 or Premier Inn Manchester Airport, which are both a couple of miles on the opposite side of the central area. Local trains into the airport from Heald Green run only hourly at xx.50, apart from two early ones at 05.37 and 06.43, but there are long distance trains at other times. The journey time is 3minutes for some, four minutes for others. If train times are not convenient, local taxis or private hire cars should be fairly east to get
If you're departing MAN at early o'clock, I would go for either the Clayton or Crowne Plaza. Both are close (<5 min walk) to T3 which you'll need for either BA or Flybe and rates are usually pretty good. There is a Radisson & Hilton also close by but a slightly longer walk. Any other hotel and you'll need to faff about with taxis or buses.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
And thus... is the Travelodge T5 decent at all or to be avoided. On a night with a very early start I can get a room for £36 which is tempting. Everything else is more (about £20 more for Premier Inn all the way up to £159 for the Sofitel booked direct and not much of a saving through hotwire). Would I regret going for it?
​​​​​​​I've done the Travelodge T5 a few times, it's quite cheap and cheerful and some of the rooms are questionable. The cost to/from T5 by Uber was about £8 each way, but the hotel itself has cheap parking. Personally I now default to the Premier Inn T4 since it opened as there's the free buses (482/490) which are fairly frequent.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I've done the Travelodge T5 a few times, it's quite cheap and cheerful and some of the rooms are questionable. The cost to/from T5 by Uber was about £8 each way, but the hotel itself has cheap parking. Personally I now default to the Premier Inn T4 since it opened as there's the free buses (482/490) which are fairly frequent.
i have never stayed at the traveloge as it always struck me as difficult to get to.

My go to hotels currently are HGI, Premier Inn T4, Premier Inn T5, and Premier Inn Bath Road. Unless the rates are all expensive I usually don’t look beyond this list. My main requirements are cheap, easy to get to by bus/tube, and comfortable rooms. I am usually arriving late and leaving early - as I am doing tonight! - so gyms and lounges are not really of use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.