Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Schwann
Interesting spreadsheet.. we'll agree to disagree about the "luxury" and "comfort" of the Premier Inn T4 however; seems a bit harsh!
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Im with you! I can’t see past the T4 Premier Inn! 2 minutes walk to the bus to Hatten Cross then Tube into T2 or T5!
Let me clarify why I gave Premier Inn 1 and Sofitel 5. Take the bathroom, in the Premier Inn you get a generic large tube of liquid soap bolted to the wall, in the Sofitel you get a selection of individual soap, shampoo, conditioner from Lanvin or l’Occitane, plus toothpaste and disposable toothbrush. Premier Inn give you some fairly thin but usable towels, whereas Sofitel has more upmarket towels including face towels and flannels. In many Sofitel rooms there is a fully separate bath and shower provision, with a head shower unit on the bath, the Premier Inn either has shower only in most rooms, or a bath with a fixed shower unit within the bath. In the Premier Inn the sink is utlitarian (and for some reason at thigh height just above my knee) whereas the Sofitel sink is higher up and, larger. Now that all comes at a price, but that explains why I gave those scores.
Grande Annee, T8191 and Schwann like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I always enjoy a detailed TR, CWS
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:39 am

One aspect of the Sofitel which may be overlooked is the suites. Perhaps because it is an airport hotel they are surprisingly affordable, running at about Ł250 pn which is about double the cheaper room rates. You get a completely separate living room, two bathrooms, club lounge access, a stocked mini bar (no charge) and we got a box of cakes on the coffee table! Add to that a runway view (albeit at the end of the runway) it makes a fun occasional treat for us, and we are doing it again in December.
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me clarify why I gave Premier Inn 1 and Sofitel 5. Take the bathroom, in the Premier Inn you get a generic large tube of liquid soap bolted to the wall, in the Sofitel you get a selection of individual soap, shampoo, conditioner from Lanvin or l’Occitane, plus toothpaste and disposable toothbrush. Premier Inn give you some fairly thin but usable towels, whereas Sofitel has more upmarket towels including face towels and flannels. In many Sofitel rooms there is a fully separate bath and shower provision, with a head shower unit on the bath, the Premier Inn either has shower only in most rooms, or a bath with a fixed shower unit within the bath. In the Premier Inn the sink is utlitarian (and for some reason at thigh height just above my knee) whereas the Sofitel sink is higher up and, larger. Now that all comes at a price, but that explains why I gave those scores.
Fair enough, that makes sense... when I see a score of 1 I have a grotty airport hotel Motel6 esque style place in my mind which Premier Inn certainly isn't! But fair points.. would rather still take the Ł30.50 rate over the Ł100+ rate at the Sofitel unless someone else was paying!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
At the risk of agreeing with many posters on here:
  • Sofitel T5: Really smart hotel, ultra convenient for Terminal 5 but can be very pricey. I personally would not bother unless I was on a super early flight.
  • Hilton Garden Inn Hatton Cross: Easy walk to Hatton Cross tube station, perfect for one night
  • Premier Inn T5: Fairly new and clean, pub-grub food if you don't want the fancy menu in the Sofitel (where you can't buy a bag of crisps in the bar), free 5 minute bus ride to terminal 5

Made the mistake of staying at the Hilton T5 a couple of months ago, I was staggered how far away it was from the airport and the overnight parking cost nearly as much as a one day hire car.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The Sofitel T5 is lovely and have stayed here a few times.
The LHR hotel I have stayed in most is the Renaissance as it's cheaper. The rooms have recently been refurbished and the views of the runway from some of the rooms are awesome. I quite like the bar area as well.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Made the mistake of staying at the Hilton T5 a couple of months ago, I was staggered how far away it was from the airport and the overnight parking cost nearly as much as a one day hire car.
It's only one mile by crow, and the crow will park itself. 3.3 miles by car and two miles on foot. All according to Google maps. Presumably it is a T5 hotel because there is nothing else for it to serve, though I believe that the restaurant does attract some local trade.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by holloway1000
He just beat me to it.
The other one that is convenient i believe is the Thistle T5.

Reviews say rooms are dated. but you can use the pods from pod parking to the terminal.

Head for points did a review of it a few months back.
Rooms at the Thistle are indeed very very dated as are the restaurant and bar which is always boiling.....on my last 2 visits (which will probably be my last) there seems to be no AC in the bar!

The only good things about this hotel are the outside terrace with awesome views of the airport/runway and the fact that you can get the pods to/from T5.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
The Sofitel T5 is lovely and have stayed here a few times.
The LHR hotel I have stayed in most is the Renaissance as it's cheaper. The rooms have recently been refurbished and the views of the runway from some of the rooms are awesome. I quite like the bar area as well.
seconded

always pre book the same room number, fab views and quiet, I just wish they would get the sauna/steam sorted out, it's been out of action from at least June last year until my last stop there in may
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:39 am

When arriving at LHR by the Heathrow Express (the first stop T2/3), is it best to walk to T2 or T3 to catch the Hoppa to the Renaissance?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When arriving at LHR by the Heathrow Express (the first stop T2/3), is it best to walk to T2 or T3 to catch the Hoppa to the Renaissance?
T3 is nearer than T2 on HEX. Personally I'd take the public buses from Heathrow Central (above the tube station) since there are up to 30 free buses an hour heading that way. It would certainly be quicker than the Hoppa.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just booked a night in the T4 Premier Inn for Ł27 - I can live with a bolted on shampoo bottle for that sort of price.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
One of Heathrow's best kept secrets is that you can use local buses for free in the vicinity of the airport

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/he...ocal_buses.htm

When arriving at T2/3 just go to the central bus station to catch the next bus going along the Bath Road. There will be one every few minutes.
Grande Annee and FlitBen like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
T3 is nearer than T2 on HEX. Personally I'd take the public buses from Heathrow Central (above the tube station) since there are up to 30 free buses an hour heading that way. It would certainly be quicker than the Hoppa.
Oh really? I never realised that, thanks CWS! The bus stop for the Renaissance is near the hotel?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Camflyer
One of Heathrow's best kept secrets is that you can use local buses for free in the vicinity of the airport

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/he...ocal_buses.htm

When arriving at T2/3 just go to the central bus station to catch the next bus going along the Bath Road. There will be one every few minutes.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.