Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Hotel options - for one night only....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Tomorrow I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Hatton Cross. I paid £63 which is a lot less than the Sofitel and it has good reviews. Five minute walk to the 490 bus stop which takes you to T5
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leisureflyer1234
Tomorrow I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Hatton Cross. I paid £63 which is a lot less than the Sofitel and it has good reviews. Five minute walk to the 490 bus stop which takes you to T5
you can cross the road behind the HGI and catch the 423 from there which runs around the north side of the airport to T5. At Hatton Cross you can get the 482/490 to T5, they go around the south side of the airport. The buses are all free from HGI/Hatton Cross to T5. Alternatively you can get the tube from Hatton Cross which is much quicker to T5 but that costs around £1.60.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have walked to the Thistle and Hilton T5, however I'm HBO.
Thanks for the explanation in sufficient detail to plot it on Google Maps!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:51 pm

T4 Hilton, Sofitel and the Thistle are my choices. Next visit is the Hilton as I will roll off a SU flight into T4 slightly too drunk for the trip home!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA
you can cross the road behind the HGI and catch the 423 from there which runs around the north side of the airport to T5. At Hatton Cross you can get the 482/490 to T5, they go around the south side of the airport. The buses are all free from HGI/Hatton Cross to T5. Alternatively you can get the tube from Hatton Cross which is much quicker to T5 but that costs around £1.60.
Thanks for that info. Since the bus is free, do I just make sure it has the right number and get on? Or is it more complicated? Since the bus is taking people to the airport, is it safe to assume there is adequate luggage space?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks for that info. Since the bus is free, do I just make sure it has the right number and get on? Or is it more complicated? Since the bus is taking people to the airport, is it safe to assume there is adequate luggage space?
Hi,

Just check that it is the right number and get on

There may be some luggage space and a space for prams etc but the luggage space can be limited ( as it is not a special airport bus but a general bus)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by apollo00
Given what you've said on your location, I'd think that your local taxi or minicab company (I'd use Addison Lee myself) will get you there in comfort at that time of day for less than the cost of the Sofitel for sure and likely less than the cost of another mediocre airport hotel. Not knocking the Sofitel as it's actually quite pleasant but in that scenario I'd probably rather just get a taxi from home in the morning.
I live closer than OP in South Ken and frequently use Uber. Usually around £20 when I take my early morning trips making sure I get to T5 BEFORE 6 AM. . From further away, can’t imagine it being much more.
After 6 am traffic becomes a major factor, and then I have paid upwards of £50

Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
As an SPG Platinum, I am normally at the Sheraton Skyline. The runway view rooms are amazing (well the rooms are ok but the views more so)!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have to confess to favouring the Thistle for its cheap prices, proximity to the pub and the excellent breakfast with views. The rooms are simply adequate.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Above is my entirely subjective view on the options. To get on this list I had to make at least 2 separate visits in the last year, so hotels like the Renaissance aren't on my list. Rates can of course vary from night to night, 5 means "most likely to be cheap". Facilities means whether the hotel offers room service, a gym etc. Local area means are there shops and restaurants near to the hotel.
green_tie, Physci, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
That's great! I love a good spreadsheet!

Only thing I could think that is missing as you use the hotels for a few weeks every year is a : Quickest time from leaving hotel check-out to immigration / Slowest time time from leaving hotel check-out to immigration so people can plan their mornings pre departure
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting spreadsheet.. we'll agree to disagree about the "luxury" and "comfort" of the Premier Inn T4 however; seems a bit harsh!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I also live in NE London (well an N postcode but its NE on a map) and only generally consider a hotel if its a very very early flight, so 7am or earlier. In those cases I've used both Sofitel and Thistle, both are fine in their own ways, money no object I'd go for Sofitel but Thistle is fine, just be aware that time from room to pod can be 10 minutes or more depending on where your room is exactly, its a bit of a maze in there.

For a departure at your time of day however I'd go for an Uber, checking my last few trips its been £33-35 and takes 45-75 mins, probably 45 at that time of day.

So assuming Thistle gives 25 minutes longer in bed, Sofitel 45 mins longer in bed, I'd be weighing up the extra costs and thinking if its really worth it...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Schwann
Interesting spreadsheet.. we'll agree to disagree about the "luxury" and "comfort" of the Premier Inn T4 however; seems a bit harsh!
Im with you! I can’t see past the T4 Premier Inn! 2 minutes walk to the bus to Hatten Cross then Tube into T2 or T5!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Over the years I must have stopped in virtually every hotel around Heathrow. For just one night, where you are going to spend most of the time in bed, they are all much of a muchness so I will usually book wherever I can get a late availability deal.

I quite like the Park Inn. It's so big that they always have availability, the bars are decent, there is a pub/shops across the road and you can use the free local buses to save on the Hoppa fares. The only downside is check-in can be slow especially if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck behind a coach party or all the passengers from a cancelled flight.

If money is less of a concern (i.e. work is paying), I also like the Crowne Plaza, especially if you can get club lounge access though the transfer to the terminals is more of a pain. The excellent Plough pub (huge portions!) outside of the HI M4/J32 is walkable.

I recently stopped in the Thistle because it was so cheap. My expectations were fairly low but they were exceeded. I didn't use the pods but the bus stops were just outside.

Last edited by Camflyer; Aug 7, 2018 at 3:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.