Wiki Posts
Search

Morrison vs. Jury's Parnell St. vs. Radisson Blu

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AA, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Morrison vs. Jury's Parnell St. vs. Radisson Blu

I'm going to be going to Dublin in a couple weeks and I'm having trouble deciding on the "best" place to stay while there. I've narrowed it down to (and have reservations at) the Morrison, Jury's Inn Parnell St., and Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Dublin. None of these will be award redemptions (since I don't have enough points [yet] to do so), but I am a Hilton Gold member and a Radisson Gold (though I don't think Radisson Gold means anything). The Morrison and Jury's seem like they are closer to "everything", and Jury's is the cheapest for the stay. However, I also want to maximize the nights/stay/points I'll earn on a stay, so I'm thinking the Morrison (even though it's the most expensive). Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Your question is pretty much impossible to answer without you providing more information.
How much more "expensive" is the Morrison?
And only you can decide if you want to pay that much more over three nights.
Jury's points are only good at that chain ... so unless you are going to be spending a bunch of nights in the UK and Ireland, then not sure what you would do with them?
The Morrison and Jury's are not closer to "everything" ... unless you consider Temple Bar "everything"?
The Radisson is closer to Drury Street, South Great George's Street, William Street and Clarenden Street ... more and better choices of restaurants and bars ...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your question is pretty much impossible to answer without you providing more information.
How much more "expensive" is the Morrison?
And only you can decide if you want to pay that much more over three nights.
Jury's points are only good at that chain ... so unless you are going to be spending a bunch of nights in the UK and Ireland, then not sure what you would do with them?
The Morrison and Jury's are not closer to "everything" ... unless you consider Temple Bar "everything"?
The Radisson is closer to Drury Street, South Great George's Street, William Street and Clarenden Street ... more and better choices of restaurants and bars ...

The Morrison is about 61 Euros more per night than Jury's and about 12 Euros more than the Radisson.

I think I sort of misspoke. I meant the Morrison and Jury's appear to be closer to public transit which will get me to "everything" and easily to/from the airport. It seems the Radisson isn't as close to any public transit as the other two. I've heard Dublin is a very walkable city, but I still need to use some transit to get from the airport and don't want to lug my luggage very far from any transit stop and the hotel.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Veronyka
The Morrison is about 61 Euros more per night than Jury's and about 12 Euros more than the Radisson.

I think I sort of misspoke. I meant the Morrison and Jury's appear to be closer to public transit which will get me to "everything" and easily to/from the airport. It seems the Radisson isn't as close to any public transit as the other two. I've heard Dublin is a very walkable city, but I still need to use some transit to get from the airport and don't want to lug my luggage very far from any transit stop and the hotel.
Dublin is indeed eminently walkable ... and not very big (certainly the city centre).
The Radisson is 5 mins walk from the Luas (over-ground tram system).
If you have the standard rollaboard (wheelie luggage) then it's no distance at all.
If travelling with a big bag(s), then you'd probably be better off getting a taxi from the airport.
The Morrison is on the quays - by the river (Liffey) ... that area is certainly "in transition" ... lots of new stuff opening ... though it can be a bit sketchy at night ...
Jury's is up Dame Street close to Christchurch Cathedral and St Patrick's Cathedral ... again not the greatest neighbourhood in the city ... but if you use common sense you should be fine.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Dublin is indeed eminently walkable ... and not very big (certainly the city centre).
The Radisson is 5 mins walk from the Luas (over-ground tram system).
If you have the standard rollaboard (wheelie luggage) then it's no distance at all.
If travelling with a big bag(s), then you'd probably be better off getting a taxi from the airport.
The Morrison is on the quays - by the river (Liffey) ... that area is certainly "in transition" ... lots of new stuff opening ... though it can be a bit sketchy at night ...
Jury's is up Dame Street close to Christchurch Cathedral and St Patrick's Cathedral ... again not the greatest neighbourhood in the city ... but if you use common sense you should be fine.
Yep, taking a standard rollaboard (and a backpack), it just seemed like a longer walk than that looking at the maps. Whereas the Morrison and Jury's Parnell looked like they were closer to public transit. Is the neighborhood around Radisson less sketchy than the others? Or the same (use common sense and I'll be fine)?

Is that the Jury's Christchurch? If so, I was actually looking at the Parnell St. one, but would the same hold true (i.e., "not the greatest neighborhood)?

Thanks! This information is helpful.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Sorry I misread which Jury's you were booking.
Parnell Street is sketchier than Dame Street!!
You're right down beside O'Connell Street ... which used (eons ago) to be the grandest shopping street in the city ... but fell on harder times ... the City authorities have moved to refurbish it ... with a number of monuments ... the Luas and some trees ...
Personally, I'd stay well away from Parnell Street after dark ...
The Morrison is definitely a better neighbourhood ... close to Stephen's Green ... Grafton Street ... now the premier shopping street ... that is pedestrianised except for service vehicles, emergency vehicles etc ...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I misread which Jury's you were booking.
Parnell Street is sketchier than Dame Street!!
You're right down beside O'Connell Street ... which used (eons ago) to be the grandest shopping street in the city ... but fell on harder times ... the City authorities have moved to refurbish it ... with a number of monuments ... the Luas and some trees ...
Personally, I'd stay well away from Parnell Street after dark ...
The Morrison is definitely a better neighbourhood ... close to Stephen's Green ... Grafton Street ... now the premier shopping street ... that is pedestrianised except for service vehicles, emergency vehicles etc ...
Sketchier?! Wow, glad I asked.

Is the Radisson in a better neighborhood than the Morrison (or are they comparable)? I guess it now comes down to Morrison vs. Radisson.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Veronyka
Sketchier?! Wow, glad I asked.

Is the Radisson in a better neighborhood than the Morrison (or are they comparable)? I guess it now comes down to Morrison vs. Radisson.

Thanks!
The Morrison is a nicer hotel ... the Radisson is slightly out of the way ... areas directly around both hotels are probably equal in terms of relative sketchiness at night.
If you're out and about for dinner and after, I'd be inclined to take a taxi/Uber back to your hotel rather worrying about getting on and off buses and navigating some of the surrounding streets.
When I say "sketchy", neither of these two spots are remotely crime central ... but as in any major city there are certain areas that require a little extra awareness after dark ...
There will be thousands of other tourists like you out and about ...
Just be mindful you're in a new city and don't make yourself an unnecessary potential target of opportunistic criminals ...
All that said, Dublin has lots to offer in terms of history, museums, galleries, theatre, restaurants and pubs ... though it's expensive ... enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.