FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Daytrip to Dunkirk From London (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1922165-daytrip-dunkirk-london.html)

TomMM Jul 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Daytrip to Dunkirk From London

During my next trip to London I am thinking about doing a daytrip to Dunkirk. The plan would be to take the train to Dover, hop on the ferry, spend a few hours in Dunkirk and return. Looking at the train and ferry schedules I could make it work although it might be a long day. Has anybody done this?

rcspeirs Jul 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Using cross channel ferries as a foot passenger is far more difficult than you'd ever imagine. Services are geared to vehicle traffic. You can't 'hop' on a ferry, you need to jump through hoops.
The process is so difficult that pedestrians are only accepted on the P&O Dover Calais route. For the avoidance of doubt, you cannot travel as foot passenger to any other port. Even if you decide to go to Calais, It's a long walk from the railway station at Dover to eastern docks - and there isn't a bus. You need to be at the Dover ticket office about an hour before sailing time - then be hearded into a bus across the docks complex. The port in Calais is not near the railway station, and as for local transport between Calais and Dunquerke..... Further complicated because of the refugee situation around Calais port - the last times I've used Calais the area near the port was not a nice place to be.
My strong recommendation is think of something else to do with your day out.

CosmosHuman Jul 29, 2018 3:45 pm

I’ve always wanted to do this, but now, with what was written, I may just go to Portsmouth.

stut Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm

I have done a trip by ferry to Dunkerque. It was an odd experience.

They don't take foot passengers, but do take them on bicycles. At Dover, you can potter on over from the Priory station to the Eastern docks. You then get invited to follow a yellow line on the ground, find a gate (like a garden gate), press a buzzer, say "sherbet lemon" and wait, then go and get an embarcation card from the truckers hut.

The ferry crossing is pleasant enough - but you basically go to Calais then pootle along the coast.

Dunkerque port is on the edge of a brutally industrial part of town, a good 20km from the centre. You can either run the gauntlet of HGVs through there, or find the little road up to the dyke, and follow it along the coast. It can be a little bleak in parts, but you are next to the sea.

From there into town involves crossing a number of locks serving ocean-going vessels. As I approached one, the light started to flash, so I stopped. Several quizzical looking locals looked at me as they hurriedly crossed. I soon learnt why, after 90 minutes waiting for the ship to pass.

Dunkerque itself is OK - a slightly down at heel French town with Flemish influences. Some nice forests and historical towns further inland, like Bergues. And you can cycle to Belgium if, like me, you enjoy that kind of thing.

​​

TomMM Jul 30, 2018 5:07 am

Thanks for the information. Kind of disappointing to hear though. Although I now understand why the ferry website was asking about the type of vehicle instead of number of people when I went to the ticket website.

UKtravelbear Jul 30, 2018 2:05 pm

If you want a day trip to France then I'm told Lille is a pretty nice place to visit and can be reached by Eurostar.

PsiFighter37 Jul 30, 2018 10:05 pm

If you want to get the real experience, you should cross via a small boat and put a steadily ominous Christopher Nolan soundtrack on your phone ;)

Badenoch Jul 31, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 30025782)
I’ve always wanted to do this, but now, with what was written, I may just go to Portsmouth.

Good choice particularly if you have to go through Calais to get to Dunkirk. I made a day trip to Calais a few years ago and it's a dump.

My wife and I were in Portsmouth for two nights a couple of years ago because she wanted to see the Mary Rose. I was favourably impressed with Portsmouth and we very much enjoyed the walking trails along the Solent.

stut Jul 31, 2018 7:06 am

Of course, from Portsmouth, you can also get the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

Or Cherbourg, but that 3h ferry ride makes for a long day trip...

Mizter T Jul 31, 2018 8:36 am

In years past, the cross-channel day trip of choice was to Boulogne, an interesting ancient town 30km south down the coast from Calais. Unfortunately since 2010 Boulogne hasn't had any cross-channel ferry services, which is a shame.

Originally Posted by stut (Post 30025845)
[...]
Dunkerque port is on the edge of a brutally industrial part of town, a good 20km from the centre. You can either run the gauntlet of HGVs through there, or find the little road up to the dyke, and follow it along the coast. It can be a little bleak in parts, but you are next to the sea.

From there into town involves crossing a number of locks serving ocean-going vessels. As I approached one, the light started to flash, so I stopped. Several quizzical looking locals looked at me as they hurriedly crossed. I soon learnt why, after 90 minutes waiting for the ship to pass.​​

Ouch! That is a lengthy wait... for just one ship? I wonder if there's any sort of timetable.

Badenoch Jul 31, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 30031192)
Of course, from Portsmouth, you can also get the ferry over to the Isle of Wight.

Or a hovercraft if you've always wanted to try one. It is one of the few (only?) hovercraft services available.

Silver Fox Jul 31, 2018 8:43 am

The highlight of our school year after O levels was the "Day Trip to Boulogne" taking the "boat-train" from London, and going into seedy bars where I first experienced mixed toilets and that electronic game "Pong". Nowadays it seems to be trips to Africa and Peru! Sorry for the topic derail and the trip down memory lane....:)

enviroian Jul 31, 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 30027136)
Thanks for the information. Kind of disappointing to hear though. Although I now understand why the ferry website was asking about the type of vehicle instead of number of people when I went to the ticket website.

Just head down to Dover and look at all the council flats overlooking the channel and wonder when are they going to get bulldozed for proper housing.

Silver Fox Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am

Bad day at the office dear? :)

lhrsfo Jul 31, 2018 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30031569)
Bad day at the office dear? :)

Probably was, but little is more likely to sink the spirits further, after contemplating Dover, than thinking about Dunkirk.