Wiki Posts
Search

Daytrip to Dunkirk From London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by stut
Ramsgate had the Ostend ferries, but only after the Jetfoil service from Dover ended. It traditionally only had the Dunkirk service.

Dover Western Docks, after Eastern Docks opened, had the boat trains and the fast ferries, including a separate hovercraft site. Otherwise, Dover Eastern docks and Folkestone (also with a boat train via a very awkward line at Folkestone Harbour) both competed for both Calais and Boulogne traffic(

Newhaven served Dieppe.
Thanks for the clarification.

when I come into Dover from Smeeth on the M20 and it comes into downtown Dover and at the 2nd roundabout I see all the big (P&O etc) ferries before I make my way up the hill. Is that the eastern dock?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Newhaven served Dieppe.
It still does, ferrywise, and even the harbour train station itself seems still to work. Great route for cycling to Paris, incidentally, as it puts you on the Dieppe-Forges cycle-only "voie verte" for about 50km, so not far from a third of the Dieppe-Paris distance.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The boat train for Newhaven actually used to go from a station even closer to the ferry terminal, Newhaven Marine. This had passenger service withdrawn a number of years ago, but is still technically open, with one train calling there each day. The station was recently demolished as it was an unsafe structure (which was also the reason it was kept closed before.

If you buy a ticket to/from Newhaven Marine, the train company will pay for a taxi to come and take you to Harbour, although it's quicker to walk. You'll have a job getting the call centre to understand what you're on about, though.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The boat train for Newhaven actually used to go from a station even closer to the ferry terminal, Newhaven Marine.
I remember it feeling different when I took it a couple of years ago compared to some 30 years ago but could not quite put my finger on it. Now, you mention it, I seem to recall the train pulling up more or less alongside the boat (similar to Dover WD/Calais Maritime) and occasionally have long waits at rather unsocial hours for night services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.