Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Quick question about the TFL daily fare cap

Quick question about the TFL daily fare cap

Old Jul 13, 18, 2:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: BA blue
Posts: 144
Quick question about the TFL daily fare cap

Hi,

I have a 10 hr layover in London, it's highly likely that i'll reach the daily cap for travel in underground zones 1 and 2 within that time.

I'm taking the Heathrow express into town since the connect service no longer stops at T5, but on the return i'll take the Heathrow connect into T4. I understand that this has now been taken over by TFL and is covered by their fares, what happens if i use the same payment method for this journey as for the underground in town? Will i only pay the cost of the connect ticket (10) for the whole day, or will that come on top of the daily cap for the underground?
mckvakk is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to Florida...bye London
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 5,031
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
Hi,

I have a 10 hr layover in London, it's highly likely that i'll reach the daily cap for travel in underground zones 1 and 2 within that time.

I'm taking the Heathrow express into town since the connect service no longer stops at T5, but on the return i'll take the Heathrow connect into T4. I understand that this has now been taken over by TFL and is covered by their fares, what happens if i use the same payment method for this journey as for the underground in town? Will i only pay the cost of the connect ticket (10) for the whole day, or will that come on top of the daily cap for the underground?

The Heathrow Express cost is separate from the daily cap.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:48 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: BA blue
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
The Heathrow Express cost is separate from the daily cap.
Is that also true for Heathrow connect? I know the express is a separate ticket (separate company too i'm guessing?) :-)
mckvakk is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:51 am
  #4  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,470
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
Is that also true for Heathrow connect? I know the express is a separate ticket (separate company too i'm guessing?) :-)
Heathrow Connect (aka TfL Rail) is now included in a Zone 1-6 daily cap.
stut is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:58 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: BA blue
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by stut View Post
Heathrow Connect (aka TfL Rail) is now included in a Zone 1-6 daily cap.
Thanks. That should save me about 4 if i'm thinking correctly
mckvakk is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:02 am
  #6  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,847
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
I'm taking the Heathrow express into town since the connect service no longer stops at T5
You can still take the connect, but you just have to get the express for free from T5 to T23 (I'm not fully sure how it all works yet, but it may be best to print yourself a free ticket to T23, exit the station then re-enter with your bank card / Oyster).

If you do this you'll pay a maximum of 12.50 for the whole day's travel - even though a single fare for the connect would be 10.10 or 10.20 - rather than buying an expensive express one-way ticket unless you already paid / you are really in a rush to get to an event near Paddington.


it's highly likely that i'll reach the daily cap for travel in underground zones 1 and 2 within that time.
In itself, this doesn't mean that you should take the Heathrow connect. The cap for Z1-2 is 6.80. If you reach that cap, and take two tube journeys, 1) Heathrow to Earls Court touching in after 0927, and 2) Earls Court to Heathrow touching in before 1635 or after 1857 - you would only pay 6.80 + 1.50 + 1.50 = 9.80 for the day, certainly with a bank card, not sure if Oyster does that yet (I recall that if you start with a journey involving Z6, it may then just work towards the Z6 cap though to be sure you could always use 2 Oysters back when they were refundable at the LHR tube ticket office).


EDIT: oops, I initially wrote that the off-peak cap for Z1-6 is 10.70. For the OP it will be 12.50 regardless of when he travels. It is only 10.70 if you travel off-peak in Z1-6 2 or more days in one week, 4 or more days in two weeks or 8 or more days in four weeks, and you get refunded automatically to your bank card the Friday after achieving this "goal", or to your Oyster provided that you use it again the next week. Yes, London fares are extremely complicated nowadays.

Last edited by :D!; Jul 13, 18 at 7:52 am
:D! is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:11 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
Posts: 85
FYI the Connect no longer exists its now been folded into TFL rail soon to be the Elisabeth line so it its 10.20 into Paddington and counts towards a zone 1-6 daily cap
Aselwyn is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 5:32 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Programs: BA blue
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
You can still take the connect, but you just have to get the express for free from T5 to T23 (I'm not fully sure how it all works yet, but it may be best to print yourself a free ticket to T23, exit the station then re-enter with your bank card / Oyster).

If you do this you'll pay a maximum of 10.70 for the whole day's travel (12.50 if your first touch-in starts before 0927) - even though a single fare for the connect would be 10.10 or 10.20 - rather than buying an expensive express one-way ticket unless you already paid / you are really in a rush to get to an event near Paddington.

In itself, this doesn't mean that you should take the Heathrow connect. The cap for Z1-2 is 6.80. If you reach that cap, and take two tube journeys, 1) Heathrow to Earls Court touching in after 0927, and 2) Earls Court to Heathrow touching in before 1635 or after 1857 - you would only pay 6.80 + 1.50 + 1.50 = 9.80 for the day, certainly with a bank card, not sure if Oyster does that yet (I recall that if you start with a journey involving Z6, it may then just work towards the Z6 cap though to be sure you could always use 2 Oysters back when they were refundable at the LHR tube ticket office).
The express ticket was only about 3 more than a single connect ticket if i bought more than 30 days in advance. So i bought this to save the hassle of changing at T2-3.
This was of course bought before i thought of the daily cap. But i'll definetly remember it for next time, that's a good travel hack.

Last edited by mckvakk; Jul 13, 18 at 6:07 am
mckvakk is offline  
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:59 am
  #9  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,847
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
The express ticket was only about 3 more than a single connect ticket if i bought more than 30 days in advance. So i bought this to save the hassle of changing at T2-3.
This was of course bought before i thought of the daily cap. But i'll definetly remember it for next time, that's a good travel hack.
OK, so you'll start the Oyster day in Paddington.

I made a small error in my post, but basically if you are only travelling in Z1-2 within London for the day, and the Piccadilly line happens to be more convenient when it's time to go back to LHR (instead of trekking back to Paddington), then you wouldn't even reach the Z1-6 cap.

You would just pay the Z1-2 cap, plus a single journey Z1 or Z2 to Heathrow (cheaper if you start in Z2, or you exit and re-enter at a Z2 station such as Earls Court or beyond).

But I would only recommend taking the Piccadilly line between 3pm-7pm if you have no more than a backpack and/or saving money is important to you.
:D! is offline  
Old Jul 14, 18, 12:09 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,426
The tfl/Connect service only runs twice per hour and recently has suffered another bout of unreliability. There have been days recently when they've had zero service into the airport. The service can only use one type of train (unique signaling in the airport tunnel), so when they hit a technical problem it isn't possible to swap in an alternative type of train.
I'd use the Piccadilly line. I know it feels like the journey lasts twice as long as it actually does, but I just wouldn't trust Connect at the moment.
:D! likes this.
rcspeirs is offline  
Old Jul 14, 18, 4:19 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boris' Broken Britain
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Posts: 16,834
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
Thanks. That should save me about 4 if i'm thinking correctly
That'll go a long way in London!
Silver Fox is online now  
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:56 pm
  #12  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,847
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Originally Posted by mckvakk View Post
Thanks. That should save me about 4 if i'm thinking correctly
That'll go a long way in London!
Indeed, you could go all the way to Theobalds Grove via Zone 1 off-peak
:D! is offline  
Old Jul 17, 18, 10:03 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boris' Broken Britain
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Posts: 16,834
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Indeed, you could go all the way to Theobalds Grove via Zone 1 off-peak
Mornington Cresecent!
Silver Fox is online now  
Old Jul 17, 18, 12:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,354
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Indeed, you could go all the way to Theobalds Grove via Zone 1 off-peak
Or a Heathrow-Upminster return, avoiding zone 1 both ways, and have a quid left.
WorldLux is online now  
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,807
I have a stupid question about the daily cap...

It says "Zones you've travelled through" for the cap. However, say if I want to go from Zone 3 to Zone 3 on opposite sides of town and cross central London, how will the cap apply?

For single fares, it would say things like: "Avoiding Zone 1 via Canada Water or Shadwell" to get a lower fare. Does it make a difference when the daily cap is applied? Would this be a 1-3 daily cap or because I crossed more zones, it is a different daily cap?

Thanks.
username is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: