FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Should BA introduce unisex uniform options for both gentlemen & lady staff? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1919560-should-ba-introduce-unisex-uniform-options-both-gentlemen-lady-staff.html)

Sixth Freedom Jul 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Should BA introduce unisex uniform options for both gentlemen & lady staff?

One of the great things about the UK is that our inter-sex equalities are so advanced that subject to some basic modesty requirements men and women can wear whatever they want. I have been reading about my old school allowing boys to wear skirts for example.

So do you think that BA should introduce unisex uniform options for both gentlemen and lady staff? As far as I can tell this would mean introducing a hat, a skirt and a scarf option for gentlemen and a classic neck tie option as well as a scarf/lady-flight-crew-neckwear for ladies.

Such an initiative would be bold and courageous on the gentlemens' side, and although it might not be widely adopted it would be a genuine first-mover opportunity for BA within the industry and make a bold statement of the UK's libertarian values.

What do you think?

:)

rossmacd Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

You really do post the most inane threads.

Dave Noble Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

If it was to introduce a gender neutral uniform, then a single uniform that all would wear would make sense

Geordie405 Jul 12, 2018 2:35 pm

It's not April 1st and it's not a full moon so I too am wondering what provoked this post :)

That aside, I am not really sure that what you're proposing would qualify as being described as unisex. If BA's uniform policy was to allow male staff to wear skirts (for example) then it's perhaps more accurately described as gender neutral. I believe that female staff can already wear trousers (or pants, as my US colleagues would say). However, whether they are truly unisex as in the same item of clothing is designed for and issued to both male and female staff is probably a question better suited (!) for the Ask the Staffer thread.

GlasgowCyclops Jul 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Does Lidl have a BOGOF on Absinthe today?

Globaliser Jul 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 29967269)
It's not April 1st and it's not a full moon so I too am wondering what provoked this post :)

I always thought that the first rule of Fight Club was ...

golfmad Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 29967126)
So do you think that BA should introduce unisex uniform options for both gentlemen and lady staff?

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 29967165)
You really do post the most inane threads.

In the OP's defense it does at least break up the monotony of the forum although I notice that it's now been banished to another place.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 29967166)
If it was to introduce a gender neutral uniform, then a single uniform that all would wear would make sense

I agree with this. In the current climate any mention of gentlemen and ladies is only going to serve to antagonize and - dare I say it - offend some people for reasons that I still can't quite get my head around. This is probably a topic that BA ought to leave well alone.

ijkh Jul 12, 2018 11:07 pm

I do believe we were on a flight with a transgender BA flight attendant. FA did not seem totally female (due to voice and appearance/size) but wearing the female uniform. She was wearing nice make up and very appropriate. I was glad to see her. Gender neutral uniforms ok by me.

flygirl68 Jul 13, 2018 1:34 am

To be honest, I’d be happy if I could wear the men’s uniform. (No more hat and nylon around my neck).

MoreMilesPlease Jul 18, 2018 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 29967126)
One of the great things about the UK is that our inter-sex equalities are so advanced ........
What do you think?

:)

All I can say is that the UK is not so advanced. The UK requires you MUST ( as in cannot complete a form) give a title such as Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Dr., Professor etc when filling out any form. You cannot complete the form without given a designation. This is in no way gender neutral! Drives me crazy here.

So it doesn't matter what clothing is allowed, you are still required to give your designation and if you do not hold a neutral designation, then give a gender based one.

Scots_Al Jul 18, 2018 11:21 am

I’m not so sure such a step would be necessary, though getting rid of female uniform items that don’t have a male equivalent (the scarf and hat mentioned above) would be a good start. But what absolutely should change is the ridiculous focus that appears (so documentaries lead us to believe) to be placed on women’s appearance - make up, nail varnish, hair, etc. Very outdated to be polite. Grown ups should be trusted to be professionally presentable, and if they’re not it can be dealt with.

UKtravelbear Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 29987653)
I’m not so sure such a step would be necessary, though getting rid of female uniform items that don’t have a male equivalent (the scarf and hat mentioned above) would be a good start. But what absolutely should change is the ridiculous focus that appears (so documentaries lead us to believe) to be placed on women’s appearance - make up, nail varnish, hair, etc. Very outdated to be polite. Grown ups should be trusted to be professionally presentable, and if they’re not it can be dealt with.

Couldn't agree more. I was horrified during the 'Very British Airline' documentary the obsession with female staff having immaculate lippy etc and how people were punished for not meeting some virtually impossible standard that didn't apply to men.

We saw how one very talented trainee was packed off not for failing any of the safety critical and technical aspects of the job or who lacked customer service skills but because she didn't reapply her lipstick often enough or had a ladder in her tights.

WorldLux Jul 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease (Post 29986224)
All I can say is that the UK is not so advanced. The UK requires you MUST ( as in cannot complete a form) give a title such as Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Dr., Professor etc when filling out any form. You cannot complete the form without given a designation. This is in no way gender neutral! Drives me crazy here..

And the example of boys being allowed to wear skirts given by the OP is an illustration that the UK is not so advanced. The reason why many boys are wearing skirts is because their school dress codes don't allow shorts. Only trousers or skirts. In this heat, wearing skirts seems preferable.

There are other places where boys/men have to resort to wearing skirts.