Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Caution - potential sharp practice at Plane Food regarding optional service charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caution - potential sharp practice at Plane Food regarding optional service charges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
I can only recommend that everybody develops the habit of always checking their bill in a restaurant, wherever that might be. I find items I haven't ordered on my bill a worrying percentage of the time all over the world. I do not think that in most cases it is down to sharp practice - restaurants, especially airport ones, can be very busy and I am sure it is easy on many systems to allocate something to the wrong table - but I will always ask for incorrect things to be removed even if it is irritating when you have somewhere to be. I don't generally consider a service charge to be an error (I do check for it specifically so I know whether or not to tip in addition) but if you don't want to pay you have your chance to ask for it to be removed.

The speed of contactless transactions is very seductive and we are becoming used to a quick tap and leave but I will not be pressured into doing this until I have taken a moment to cast my eye over the bill and then check the amount showing on the terminal matches what that says.
I agree with you I dont know if I have ever had a bill in a restaurant that was correct, I have had to send the bill bake 3 or 4 times in some places. A bill in a restaurant that doesnt have any food on it. Its gets embarrassing keep sending the bill back.

Some hotels seem to have the same issue, maybe I am just unlucky.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I were you I'd be having a word with the person in charge next time you're passing through T5 and ask them for your Ł2 back. They should be forced to ask if you want it included or not.

My wife always closely scrutinises receipts.....certainly worth doing here. A couple of weeks ago while I was filling the car with the supermarket shopping she found a 175 peso charge for an item she never bought and marched straight back in to query it. The manageress said she'd need to bring all the bags back in so she could scan it all one by one...I had to do all the lugging. After much faffing about the offending item was eventually found....a ruddy lettuce. Seemingly the bar code on the lettuce didn't automatically register so the check out girl typed it in manually and entered it wrongly. The manageress apologised, and refunded the money....minus the cost of the lettuce of course.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:30 pm

Relatedly I was super mad at FRA airport when I tried to pay in € using my card and the duty free attendant who insisted on holding the card machine ended up hitting the button to pay in Ł. I don't think it was deliberate, just incompetence.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by origin
I agree with you I dont know if I have ever had a bill in a restaurant that was correct, I have had to send the bill bake 3 or 4 times in some places. A bill in a restaurant that doesnt have any food on it. Its gets embarrassing keep sending the bill back.

Some hotels seem to have the same issue, maybe I am just unlucky.
Never had a bill be correct? While I definitely recommend everyone checking their bill, I am surprised that my bill is pretty much always correct.

To the OP, my suggestion would be to get over it. If a a couple of pounds is all that you lose out on in your lifetime then you are doing well. If it is stated on the menu as stated above it isn't so sharp in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If I were you I'd be having a word with the person in charge next time you're passing through T5 and ask them for your Ł2 back. They should be forced to ask if you want it included or not.

My wife always closely scrutinises receipts.....certainly worth doing here. A couple of weeks ago while I was filling the car with the supermarket shopping she found a 175 peso charge for an item she never bought and marched straight back in to query it. The manageress said she'd need to bring all the bags back in so she could scan it all one by one...I had to do all the lugging. After much faffing about the offending item was eventually found....a ruddy lettuce. Seemingly the bar code on the lettuce didn't automatically register so the check out girl typed it in manually and entered it wrongly. The manageress apologised, and refunded the money....minus the cost of the lettuce of course.
My mother, long gone, used to tell the story of her shopping in London before decimilisation, and decent cash registers. All the pounds, shillings and pence were traditionally simply added in the clerk's head and a total was given of the dozen or so items at an original Sainsburys. My mother, being American was not used to this, but worked out that she could, at least, track the number of items which were in 0.5d. When the total came, she insisted that they were wrong and made them re-count the entire 30 or so items - at the end of which they conceded that they were 0.5d out. She was banned from the shop!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not to restart the tipping saga...but there are two things I hate:

1. Adding on 12.5% service charges as a matter of course, and

2. Waiters just assuming you want to use contactless and taking your card out of your hands.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Related - I don’t mind doing contactless without seeing what’s on the display in certain circumstances (such as a very busy bar where you just have to pass your card over to the barman to let him tap it, or - as above - when they just grab it out your hand and tap it). What I do find surprising though is that said barman or waiter then often appears surprised when I ask for the receipt!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Relatedly I was super mad at FRA airport when I tried to pay in € using my card and the duty free attendant who insisted on holding the card machine ended up hitting the button to pay in Ł. I don't think it was deliberate, just incompetence.
Why do you think it wasn't deliberate? Stories abound of Dynamic Currency Conversion being used to add a bit more to the profits. What currency was your card in?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That seems to be the standard in London these days. Fortunately, it's not made it to the provinces as yet.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Related - I don’t mind doing contactless without seeing what’s on the display in certain circumstances (such as a very busy bar where you just have to pass your card over to the barman to let him tap it, or - as above - when they just grab it out your hand and tap it). What I do find surprising though is that said barman or waiter then often appears surprised when I ask for the receipt!
username checks out
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not to restart the tipping saga...but there are two things I hate:

2. Waiters just assuming you want to use contactless and taking your card out of your hands.
I will bite.

Why would you not want to use contactless?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyer200
username checks out
Sorry, probably being thick but I genuinely don’t understand what you mean!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer200
username checks out
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Sorry, probably being thick but I genuinely don’t understand what you mean!
Could it have been potentially offensive so-called 'banter' based on ignorant, lazy national/regional/racial stereotypes mitigated by an ostensibly friendly emoticon?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:23 am

Or, more likely I suspect, it could have been a JOKE...with no evil intent. Seemingly a concept that many these days have trouble understanding. Given the nature of virtually ALL humour one wonders what they laugh about......
flyer200 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Or, more likely I suspect, it could have been a JOKE...with no evil intent. Seemingly a concept that many these days have trouble understanding. Given the nature of virtually ALL humour one wonders what they laugh about......
That's sort of what I was trying to get at – but from a somewhat different direction.

Anyway, this is veering seriously off topic. Over to OMNI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.