Wiki Posts
Search

Train Travel to Gatwick from Central London [Easement in place]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Train Travel to Gatwick from Central London [Easement in place]

I’ve put this here as opposed to Omni so BA passengers can see it, mods please feel free to move if appropriate but if yiu are travelling to or from Gatwick Airport ticket easements are in place to use cheaper Southern Only, Thameslink or Non Gatwick Express tickets on the faster Gatwick Express.

This is is a relatively new easement due to the ongoing Thameslink saga.

If you are using Oyster or contactless they were in the process of reprogramming the Gatwick Express barriers at Victoria to charge the lesser amount but double check with gateline staff before using such cards to make sure this is the case. Be aware that the train operating company didn’t want this easement to apply and there are Twitter reports of people trying to be pushed back to the slower cheaper services.

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tr...ervice-updates
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dedicated thread London Airports transfer FAQ: London Gatwick (LGW)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Be aware that the train operating company didn’t want this easement to apply and there are Twitter reports of people trying to be pushed back to the slower cheaper services.
Nonsense. GTR do what the government tell them to do.

ALL revenue on these services goes to the government and they pay GTR a fee (it is a contract not a franchise) to operate the services. Any loss of revenue from this will be borne by the government (well us tax payers but that's a different matter) and not GTR.

Yes initially that was happening as not all staff got the message about the easement.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Nonsense. GTR do what the government tell them to do.

ALL revenue on these services goes to the government and they pay GTR a fee (it is a contract not a franchise) to operate the services. Any loss of revenue from this will be borne by the government (well us tax payers but that's a different matter) and not GTR.

Yes initially that was happening as not all staff got the message about the easement.
The easement was not initially put in place I believe was only amended as a result of protesting from one of the commuter groups. Since it’s easement staff according to tweets that I’ve seen are still encouraging people to travel between Victoria and Gatwick on the Southern slower services not the Gatwick Express citing the reason the easements were put in place for cancelled Thameslink trains not to travel to the airport on a premium service for a cheaper fare when the normal train is running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.