Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

First British Passport

First British Passport

Old Jun 6, 18, 11:30 am
Original Poster

First British Passport

So I'm applying for my first British passport. I was told I needed my own birth certificate as well as my parents as proof of identity but noticed a difference in the surnames when I received them.

My mother legally changed her surname by deed poll before I was born so her surname is different on both birth certificates and my father is unknown.

I'm aware my mother has legally changed her surname a number of times in the past thirty years but as we are estranged I'm unable to get any information about the surnames she has used.

I'm also aware she had changed my surname during childhood but i have no documents to prove which surnames I was given as I was a minor. I'm currently using my birth surname and have done for the past sixteen years which was legally changed when I was fifteen years old

Could this effect me getting a passport?

Last edited by Vanessa Lee; Jun 6, 18 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 6, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
No it shouldn’t.

the passport office is used to dealing with circumstances such as these.

i can’t remember if there is space on the application form to provide background information as you have listed here which they might find helpful but if not then just send in the documents you have and if they need more information they will ask you for it. The important thing is to be honest about what you can and can’t provide.
Old Jun 6, 18, 12:05 pm

I agree, the process may not go smoothly but all you can do is provide what you can, explain the circumstances and then respond to whatever further enquiries they have.
Old Jun 6, 18, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I've included a covering letter with my application explaining the situation and hopefully the passport office takes that into account. I've also included the last known contact details of my mother but highly doubt she has kept every deed poll document for the past thirty years though she can verify who she is and that I'm her daughter.
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plebs Status, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Assuming you were born in the UK, you should be fine. They may ask some questions. I have a birth certificate from a UK consulate since I was born abroad, I did not have my father's birth date, I was adopted by non UK citizens outside the UK when I was 6 or 7, my actual mother was not a UK citizen - and I ended up getting a passport without too much pain - took a few weeks - and there were two or three follow up questions, but nothing major. Now, I did get my first passport from a UK embassy.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am curious to know if our National Insurance Number helps in this sort of situation? Surely it’s one of the only official “documents” we have issued to us that never changes.
Old Jun 10, 18, 8:25 am

National insurance card is not confirmation of nationality.

i have Dutch and South Africans friends who both have UK NI numbers yet aren’t UK citizens.
Old Jun 11, 18, 8:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
National insurance card is not confirmation of nationality.

i have Dutch and South Africans friends who both have UK NI numbers yet arenít UK citizens.
No but the OPs mother will have an NI number which should I suppose be linked to all the names she has used, given that the jolly people at HMRC don't like to miss anything.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
No but the OPs mother will have an NI number which should I suppose be linked to all the names she has used, given that the jolly people at HMRC don't like to miss anything.
the OP is also estranged from her mother so I donít think getting the mothers NI number is an option.
Old Jun 12, 18, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was thinking more along the lines of the NI number being linked to all the names the OP was given as a minor.
Presumably, OP’s mother never missed a child benefit payment.
Old Jun 12, 18, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We do not even know whether the mother lives in or for that matter has ever lived in the UK. Either way, I would not over-complicate this. While it seems complex to OP, this is far from a complex situation. It may just take time to sort it.