Reload this Page >

Starting and ending my EU trip in LHR questions

Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Virgin Velocity, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi guys,

I will be going to Europe for the first time next week with SQ. (Melbourne - Singapore - London)
I will be arriving in LHR and staying in London for 10 days. From there i will be flying into other EU countries,
and then a month later, fly back into LHR and staying overnight to catch the returning flight to SIN with SQ.
(My only reason to fly out of LHR to SIN in the return leg is to try the SQ Suites )

I was just wondering, will i get questioned by the UK passport control officers about my itinerary ? (Especially the entering and departing LHR twice part?) I do have printed copies of all my flights.

Thank you.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

There is no real reason why you should get questioned. Of course if you show up with dreadlocks and wearing hemp clothing, all bets are off.

There is nothing unsual in your plans and in fact I am doing something similar from Canada next week. The possibility of being questioned as to why I am flying into the UK, then out, then back to the UK, then back to Canada, has never even crossed my radar. It is a normal visit to Europe itinerary for many people.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

In another thread, I recently read that it is important to have your hotel address for your landing card. I mention it in case you didn't know and also to give more knowledgeable people a chance to contradict or expand on this information.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The only concern is if the immigration officer believes your exit and entry is an attempt to extend your stay in the UK artificially though it looks like it is not so there shouldnt be any problems.

no one gets extra attention based purely on their hairstyle and clothes it is all about immigration risks, to,say it does is alarmist nonsense.
Eltham and desafinado74 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desafinado74
I was just wondering, will i get questioned by the UK passport control officers about my itinerary ? (Especially the entering and departing LHR twice part?) I do have printed copies of all my flights.
1000's of people do this every day. Some will leave UK the same day and others will overnight. A big part of the LHR airport hotel business.
desafinado74 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 7, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
With a return airline ticket to SIN/Oz and a hotel reservation, there would be absolutely nothing to give the Immigration officer any concern.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:05 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My uncle likes to use the UK as a base for travelling to Europe. I'm not entirely sure why, as even though I and my cousin (his son) live in the UK, he still stays in a hotel. While we do the occasional UK driving trip, he could easily consolidate the UK portions and mainland Europe portions.

This spring/summer he flew from Australia to London and has already gone in and out of the Schengen Area twice, with plans for another 3 trips, so in total he will go through UK immigration 6 times and Schengen passport control 10 times, plus endure train rides to and from LGW, LTN and STN.

He hasn't had any problems with immigration the past few years he has done this.
desafinado74 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for everyone's helpful replies. I better write down the addresses of my London hotels too
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
My uncle likes to use the UK as a base for travelling to Europe. I'm not entirely sure why, as even though I and my cousin (his son) live in the UK, he still stays in a hotel. While we do the occasional UK driving trip, he could easily consolidate the UK portions and mainland Europe portions.

This spring/summer he flew from Australia to London and has already gone in and out of the Schengen Area twice, with plans for another 3 trips, so in total he will go through UK immigration 6 times and Schengen passport control 10 times, plus endure train rides to and from LGW, LTN and STN.

He hasn't had any problems with immigration the past few years he has done this.
Wow, your uncle really likes a punishing itinerary !
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by serpens
In another thread, I recently read that it is important to have your hotel address for your landing card. I mention it in case you didn't know and also to give more knowledgeable people a chance to contradict or expand on this information.
Yup - it's always on the landing card and even then, I still get asked by the agent about half the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.