Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Advice for Lake District-Scotland trip

Advice for Lake District-Scotland trip

Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Presumably, there is a reason why you are going in November. Yes you can drive from London to the Lake District in under a day. Just don't plan on it only taking 5 hours to a specific point. Drive times are longer than you are used to at home, simply because of volume of traffic and roads that you really just can't drive as fast for long periods of time before coming to something that slows you down.

At least no one will be trying to tell you that you absolutely need to book hotels ahead in November and that includes Skye. LOL
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by miuk
I'm also planning a similar trip to the Lake District and on to Scotland in November.
My current plan is to meet my parents in LHR, get a rental car and from there drive up to the Lake District.

Is this plan too crazy? Google map shows 5hrs drive time and usually in the US, 5hrs is nothing.
Scotland in November is dark and cold - depending on how far north and how late you are going, expect maybe 6-7 hours of daylight - its not ideal and a lot of places will have shut for the season by then - you should give anywhere you like the look of a call to confirm they are open, as otherwise you may be dissapointed. Many places will shut up over winter as its not economical to run them - so outside of the bigger towns, you'll find it a struggle to get good accommodation.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The short days are a nuisance but they give you the excuse to go find a pub and mix with the locals.

I had some of the best weekend cycling/camping trips with my mates in November when I lived in Scotland. Many happy memories of sitting by the camp fire in Glen Falloch and if you're into photography the autumn colours and quality of light can make for some great picture taking. Just wear the right gear and you'll be okay.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:13 pm

appreciate the feedback!

main reason why I’m planning the trip in November is to take advantage of the Thanksgiving holiday in the US (taking the whole week off). Will be traveling with my parents and having been to the UK multiple times, the Lake District is something we haven’t visited before (one full week in London would be a bit too much).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
We have visited Scotland 22 times and at least 18 of those trips have been late October to mid November.

We have spent most of our visits that time of year as far north as John o'Groats, Inverness, Aberdeen, and also Pitlochry, Isle of Skye, Isle of Mull, Fort William, Oban, and many others. There have been very view places that we wanted to visit or hotels that we wanted to stay that were not open while we were there. The biggest thing that was missing at those times were a lot of other tourists and midges.

Amongst our best hotel stays that time of year were in Spean Bridge, Bridge of Orchy, Glencoe, Portree, and for "big" cities Pitlochry.

If the original poster ( or anyone else ) would like suggestions for late season hotels, please feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by miuk
appreciate the feedback!

main reason why Im planning the trip in November is to take advantage of the Thanksgiving holiday in the US (taking the whole week off). Will be traveling with my parents and having been to the UK multiple times, the Lake District is something we havent visited before (one full week in London would be a bit too much).
If you are in Lake District, then instead of Scotland, have you thought about Northumberland and the border area? Dramatic countryside, lots of history and some fabulous market towns to visit? You could gently head cross country, then head up to Edinburgh for a day or two?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jimlad48
If you are in Lake District, then instead of Scotland, have you thought about Northumberland and the border area? Dramatic countryside, lots of history and some fabulous market towns to visit? You could gently head cross country, then head up to Edinburgh for a day or two?
Thanks for the suggestion! Something to consider as well.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Speaking of November weather.... In general, but not invariably, the west side of the UK tends to be wetter than the east side. For example, Carlisle gets significantly more rain than Newcastle, and Glasgow gets significantly more rain than Edinburgh. That may be a factor for you. I just bring the waterproofs if contemplating significant time walking outdoors, regardless of west or east (and not only in winter!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.