Search

Getting to MAN from London suburbs

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Getting to MAN from London suburbs

We are booked MAN-AKL on QR later in the year. We will need to organise travel to/from MAN. Car doesn't appeal, especially after the long return journey. One of us has mobility problems and can't walk too far. We have a rail discount card. We have London Freedom Passes so can use local buses, trams and (I think) trains. We are likely to take the train from London and would appreciate some ideas.

1 I read somewhere (FT?) that there is a more convenient station than Piccadilly to get to the airport. Is this true, and which is it?
2 Given the flight times - take off 14:25, return landing 05:50 - we have to allow enough time to make the transfer for onward travel, especially on the return leg. Options
- fly LON-MAN and v.v. I assume Customs etc will be at MAN so would have to transfer for the MAN-LON flight. (This would help with BA tier points.) But how much time to allow for the inbound?
- take the train from London to Piccadilly or intermediate station, then train/cab etc to MAN. Same on return. It's a long time since my regular Manchester visits and so much has changed on the trains. AIUI the train could be cheaper but would be restricted to specific timings.
- stay overnight at an airport hotel in either or both directions. We are Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold (at least for the time being) and IHG platinum but are not bound by these.

Very grateful for any advice you can offer.

[BTW I used 'Manchester' in the search over the past year and am astonished by so many London threads that came up.]

:
Old May 4, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can get to Manchester Airport from Crewe, which avoids having to go into the city and double back, provided you get a decent connection. The airport has its own station (and tram stop) so there's no need to get a taxi.

In terms of tickets, Virgin Trains offer what used to be called a "saver half" return. That means you can combine an inflexible ticket (to the airport) with a flexible one (from the airport) at a reduced cost. If you search for fares on their website, you'll be able to combine Advance with Off-Peak - that's what this is.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Fly: You can get to Manchester Airport from Heathrow (v.expensive) and Southend (not really in London) Airports.

Train: This will almost certainly be the best option. The best route is Euston -> Crewe -> Manchester Airport (the airport has its own station). It will take 2.5-3 hours. You’ll probably have change from £100 for a return ticket too.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

You haven't actually said which London suburb you're coming from... it's quite a large area...
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You haven't actually said which London suburb you're coming from... it's quite a large area...
True. It's Barnet.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:47 pm

Well depending on where in Barnet, you could either take the Northern Line direct to Euston or if near New Barnet, take the GNR and change at Finsbury Park/Highbury & Islington.

The train up to Manchester, see if there are cheap First Advance tickets. It's a nice way to travel.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, stut, Ryanardo da Vinci and Ldnn1for your quick and informative replies.

Looks like it's Crewe, then, although Southend looks attractive - I used to live in Essex and it would be interesting to see the setup there. Almost decided - just need to discuss with The Boss.

I like the suburban surface links idea but fear that limited mobility may make a difference.

(Memories of First breakfast on board the Manchester Pullman ...)

Last edited by Roger; May 4, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: to acknowledge Ldnn1's advice
Old May 4, 2018, 2:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If one of you has mobility problems the train station is close to T2 used by QR with moving walkways (some of which are working!) most of the way.

If staying overnight at an airport hotel Radisson Blu is between the railway station and T2, Hilton and Crowne Plaza have free shuttles to the terminals and the station, but the Marriott is 5-10 mins drive away and does not have a free shuttle service.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If one of you has mobility problems the train station is close to T2 used by QR with moving walkways (some of which are working!) most of the way.

If staying overnight at an airport hotel Radisson Blu is between the railway station and T2, Hilton and Crowne Plaza have free shuttles to the terminals and the station, but the Marriott is 5-10 mins drive away and does not have a free shuttle service.
Thanks for that, I was about to book the Hilton because I had naively concluded it was actually at the airport! Haven't paid much attention as I walked from one point to another at MAN.

Are any of the three hotels (Radisson, Hilton, Crowne Plaza) noticeably nicer or dumpier than the others?

BTW, it seems to me that there are a whole lot of trains between Manc Pic station and the airport. And if you really want the cheapest way, the tram from Pic station also goes to the airport, albeit with a lot of stops. So I don't know if one needs to go via Crewe, is it any faster?
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:42 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Thanks for that, I was about to book the Hilton because I had naively concluded it was actually at the airport! Haven't paid much attention as I walked from one point to another at MAN.

Are any of the three hotels (Radisson, Hilton, Crowne Plaza) noticeably nicer or dumpier than the others?

BTW, it seems to me that there are a whole lot of trains between Manc Pic station and the airport.
The Hilton is at the airport but they do run shuttles to the terminals, as does Crowne Plaza which is closer to T1/3. I usually walk to the terminal if it’s not raining.

I haven’t stayed at Radisson but I would say Radisson is nicer and more expensive than the other two. If you want to stay at a Hilton property the Hilton in the City is much, much nicer than the Airport Hilton. Doubletree is right next to Piccadilly station and is also better than the Airport Hilton although rooms might be smaller.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
I like the suburban surface links idea but fear that limited mobility may make a difference.
Do note that the southbound GNR and Victoria line platforms at Highbury & Islington are literally next to each other, so that particular option shouldn't present any problems for you. Exiting the Underground at Euston is a bit of a zoo of people but is step-free. So I would say that if New Barnet is good for you, then the rest of the way to the Virgin platforms at Euston should be relatively easy, as long as it's not rush hour.

I would, if possible, avoid the journey by road from Barnet to Euston - it's not the most enjoyable.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:55 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can walk to the MAN Hilton from the station, if you don't mind a dash across the road at an unofficial crossing point...
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by stut
You can walk to the MAN Hilton from the station, if you don't mind a dash across the road at an unofficial crossing point...
Several weeks ago there was even a set of traffic lights by the crossing point but two weeks later they were gone. I hope they’ll bring them back as it’s the quickest way to/from T1 as well.
Attached Images  
Roger likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old May 5, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
BTW, it seems to me that there are a whole lot of trains between Manc Pic station and the airport. And if you really want the cheapest way, the tram from Pic station also goes to the airport, albeit with a lot of stops. So I don't know if one needs to go via Crewe, is it any faster?
Wouldn't ever, ever consider the tram unless I lived in precisely Chorlton, Wythenshawe etc, the trams are awful and the airport line is incredibly slow through not the nicest areas.

Crewe will work out faster if your connection is well times, as the direct stopper to Manchester via the airport is only hourly at around half past. That said, the best timed Virgin train for that goes via Wilmslow anyway so you may as well stay on until there instead
Roger likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
The quickest way from Euston would be to take the Virgin service to Wilmslow (with trains departing every hour), then take a taxi to the airport – (a 5-mile journey typically costing around £12-£14). You could also take a train from Wilmslow to the airport – (a 7-minute, £3.20 journey with trains departing every hour and a relatively easy platform change). This route is typically quicker than going via Crewe (although there are more departures per hour to Crewe from Euston) and can be much easier re. platform changes. The only real advantage of going via Crewe is the amazing view you get of Jodrell Bank as the train passes by.

The nicest of the three hotels is the Radisson, although as has been mentioned, the others have a free shuttle to the terminals. (I normally walk from the Hilton, but wouldn't recommend unless you're travelling very light.)
Roger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.