Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Long Lay-over in London: One Iconic Tourist thing to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

We are arriving @ LHR at noon. Our connecting flight doesn't leave until 7 AM the next morning. We are staying at the LHR Sofitel. Once we drop our bags if we are not too tired I guess we have the opportunity to do something that afternoon. At 62 years of age I have never been to London before...only passing through LHR. Looking for suggestions for one iconic thing to do that afternoon and how to get there. We love art, history and gardens.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Assuming you want to leave the airport/hotel area, you can easily stroll through Hyde Park, past Buckingham Palace and end at Westminster Abbey (and everything else around it) within an afternoon.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to see the Elgin Marbles, go to the British Museum.

If you want to hear sublime choral music in a majestic high gothic setting, go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey (no cost).

If you want to see as much of London as you can efficiently, take the local buses, not some tourist hop on hop off bus. In particular, consider Bus #11 and sit on the upper deck at the front of the bus.

You can do all of the above on this visit.

Here is more info about taking the bus as an efficient way of sightseeing if you only have an afternoon/evening.

Last edited by Analise; Apr 20, 2018 at 4:21 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, and Kew Gardens are three more possibilities that can be reached fairly easily from the airport.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Assuming you want to leave the airport/hotel area, you can easily stroll through Hyde Park, past Buckingham Palace and end at Westminster Abbey (and everything else around it) within an afternoon.
...and finish your stroll through London at Picadilly Circus to take the tube back to the airport. Yes, for a first time in London, not a bad idea!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we have a UK & Ireland forum, I'm going to move this thread over there.

Mind the doors!

stut
Europe Forum
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
The Victoria and Albert Museum should have enough art and history to keep you occupied...

From Heathrow, you take the tube to South Kensington (~40 mins), and it's a 5-minute walk - you don't even need to go outside.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:35 pm

So, assuming you are arriving from the US, you will be a little pooped. But if you are up for some walking I would suggest:
- Drop bags off at hotel
- Piccadilly line to Hyde Park Corner
- Walk east towards Buckingham Palace. Continue on in that general direction to the area of Big Ben/Westminster Abbey
- Maybe cross the bridge and then go east down the Thames, maybe stop for a beer/coffee
- Cross back over the river, maybe at the next walkway/bridge and keep going that direction and you are at Trafalgar Square.
- It would be dinner time, so you could get something nearby or further towards Leicester Square
- Get back on the Piccadilly line at Leicester Square and back to the hotel.

All that presumes it's not pouring down rain. If it is, the Victoria and Albert is a good choice as mentioned since it is "attached" to the tube stop. I wouldn't suggest a bus ride since if it were me I would just nod off.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for all your thoughtful ideas.... I am logging them all and once we land , depending on weather and stamina, we will decide on which adventure to embark on.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Landing at noon it may be as late as 2pm before you get settled in your hotel. Figure another hour to get into central London and that doesn't leave you much time in the city. Starting out at 3pm, I'd suggest one of the hop on/hop off bus tours which should give you enough time to see the sites before the sun goes down. Find a nice pub for dinner.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, and Kew Gardens are three more possibilities that can be reached fairly easily from the airport.
Not really London but beautiful nonetheless.

Personally I find being outside is the best way to cope with jetlag, so I would avoid museums which can be very sleep-inducing in the circumstances. For me the best itinerary is to get off the tube at Hyde Park Corner, head to Buck House, then through Green Park to Whitehall and Parliament and perhaps Trafalgar Square and then head back - or sit in the park reading about what you have just seen.

In that area there are so many amazing things to explore more deeply but perhaps the most interesting that can be done in less than an hour are the Churchill War Rooms.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Personally I find being outside is the best way to cope with jetlag, so I would avoid museums which can be very sleep-inducing in the circumstances. For me the best itinerary is to get off the tube at Hyde Park Corner, head to Buck House, then through Green Park to Whitehall and Parliament and perhaps Trafalgar Square and then head back - or sit in the park reading about what you have just seen.
+1. Subject to weather of course.

Not clear from OP when they're travelling - if it's today then weather is obviously great but of course the London Marathon may disrupt things a bit - no strolling down the Mall for sure. Tube stations around the parks will likely be packed but are running.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

Not really London but beautiful nonetheless.
Hey, to an American they are all in "Greater London" — and they are no farther from LHR than the City is!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Hey, to an American they are all in "Greater London" — and they are no farther from LHR than the City is!
Most of the other sights mentioned aren't either; they're in Westminster.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
Most of the other sights mentioned aren't either; they're in Westminster.
Westminster is in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.