FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Eurostar London to Amsterdam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1902757-eurostar-london-amsterdam.html)

GodAtum Apr 7, 2018 1:10 pm

Eurostar London to Amsterdam

Just found out about this brand new route. I wonder if it's serious competition to flying? Journey times is around 3 hours and the cheapest ticket is £35. I guess for frequent flyers having access to better food and drink at the CCR will be an advantage.

JMurray Apr 7, 2018 1:12 pm

Also worth noting that initially you'll have to change in Brussels on the return. This is until the Dutch & UK agree on border arrangements.

Flexible preferences Apr 7, 2018 1:25 pm

paul4040 posted a nice trip report on youtube for the inaugural service in Business Premier:

Skipcool3 Apr 7, 2018 1:29 pm

Useful option, particularly if foggy! I plan to give it a try ... (from) £79 in Premium looks good....

FeedbirdNiner Apr 7, 2018 1:37 pm

Deleted.

williamn78 Apr 7, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner (Post 29613837)
Seriously? The movement laws won't change until Jan 2022. Are they really not going to run a direct return 'just in case' we don't have an arrangement that allows for that in three years?

Its not about Brexit, its about the need to have British immigration checks on site in the Netherlands (as in Paris and Brussels). So for now everyone has to detrain in Brussels and go through immigration there. On the outbound it is done for the whole schengen area at London St Pancras.

BlueThroughCrimp Apr 7, 2018 1:52 pm

Similar arrangements for the other non- Paris and Brussels services I understand, although I've never used them.

edsh Apr 7, 2018 3:07 pm

Does this present a good option for avoiding UK airport taxes when traveling overseas?

lhrsfo Apr 7, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by edsh (Post 29614061)
Does this present a good option for avoiding UK airport taxes when traveling overseas?

Yes but, for Paris and Brussels, flying is usually cheapest, assuming you don't mind the longer journey time .

NeedstoFly Apr 7, 2018 4:23 pm

Has anyone figured out a way to find low fares for these trains? I've played with google flights and can get one ways London to Amsterdam as low as £42. But it doesn't seem to be able to deliver a return fare or a Amsterdam to London one way.

Raffles Apr 7, 2018 5:17 pm

You really don't want to come back due to the train change. Fares are higher because you will be on Thalys, possibly, for part of it where Eurostar does not control pricing. Even the Eurostar people I have spoken with expect everyone to fly back, as we did after the inaugural trip last week.

BlueThroughCrimp Apr 7, 2018 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 29614380)
You really don't want to come back due to the train change. Fares are higher because you will be on Thalys, possibly, for part of it where Eurostar does not control pricing. Even the Eurostar people I have spoken with expect everyone to fly back, as we did after the inaugural trip last week.

Funnily enough, it’s only single and return staff travel fares that are shown for trips originating in the UK, while there are no fares from the continent to the UK. Returns are double the price of singles in both eligible classes.

UKtravelbear Apr 7, 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 29614380)

the train change is hardly a hardship. And is a lot quicker than many an airport connection.

I’ve actually done Amsterdam to St Pancras changing at Brussels and believe be it is not as bad as some try to make out.

Perhaps if you actually did the route ...

williamn78 Apr 8, 2018 10:45 am

While a through train is preferable I'm ok with a change of trains. Unfortunately for the dates I wanted outbound direct was £35 but inbound was £130! So not surprisingly I am flying back.

NeedstoFly Apr 9, 2018 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by williamn78 (Post 29616421)
While a through train is preferable I'm ok with a change of trains. Unfortunately for the dates I wanted outbound direct was £35 but inbound was £130! So not surprisingly I am flying back.

Exactly what I've found.