Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR Air traffic controllers going to digital system — what delays should I expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Air traffic controllers going to digital system — what delays should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I just read this news piece about air traffic control going to a digital system and the delays that will emanate from it.

https://news.sky.com/story/weeks-of-...gital-11316207

Specifically, I am arriving at LHR Terminal 3 on Delta tomorrow morning and leaving for JFK from the same terminal Tuesday morning, April 10.

Will this have any effect on my flights?

Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wouldn't expect delays of any note. This change has been known about for a long time and airlines have done things such as cancelled or retimed flights to help smooth arrivals and departures to reduce the possible impact.
Analise likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
They were suggesting potential delays of up to 20 minutes

For me that's pretty normal potential delay for LHR anyway

checking the heathrow arrivals board I am not seeing anything significant acoss the board

https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unlikely to be any significant delays if any. I think there have been some proactive reductions during peak times for the 10 day period already put in the system to give some slack.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It might be a very small sample, but my flight from HAM this morning wasn’t placed in a hold pattern at all - the first time in a very long while that’s happened.

Nothing at all for the OP to be concerned about, I’d think.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It might be a very small sample, but my flight from HAM this morning wasn’t placed in a hold pattern at all - the first time in a very long while that’s happened.

Nothing at all for the OP to be concerned about, I’d think.
My flight spent ten minutes in the hold (generally it lands directly). Even with the 10 minutes in hold, we were about 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Immigration was very calm too (no queues at all).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:14 pm

Had a nice 4+ hour delay on CGN-SEN-MAN today, but no idea whether this had anything to do with the new systems or whether the airline in question was being useless
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
No issues into LHR on Friday morning (0730 DUB departure) and back again that afternoon (1600-ish) on EI both ways.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
No issues in from LAX Tuesday, or out and back yesterday.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I had no issues with flight delays both inbound and outbound at LHR. What DID surprise me (having nothing to do with air traffic control) was that the immigration queue took 1 hour & 20 minutes. My flight arrived early (06:35) on April 5. Prior to that, the longest I had ever waited was 15-20 minutes.

I asked the immigration officer after he stamped my passport about that long wait and he just said "Easter". Never again will I travel to London on Easter Week or near any bank holiday.

Conversely, for my 10:30 flight to JFK this past Tuesday, I arrived 3 hours early at T3 as Delta suggested. Including bag drop, passport control and security, it took no longer than 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.