Wiki Posts
Search

Improving step-free access between Paddington taxi rank and HEx

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Improving step-free access between Paddington taxi rank and HEx

Are there any plans to add a lift to Paddington’s Heathrow Express platforms directly to the bridge to the taxi rank?

It’s quite inconvenient getting from the HEx to a taxi when you have big bags since you have to either drag your luggage and paraphernalia up the stairs or take a long detour round to platform 12 (?) in the main station.

Presumably Crossrail will have its own lifts.

But assuming HEx will stay at its current platforms, how much would it really cost to install a mid-platform lift up to the bridge to the taxi rank?

(sorry this isn’t directly BA related but I know many here take the HEx)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:25 am

It's a grade I listed building so they're limited in what they can do. However as you rightly pointed out, there is full step free access via the lifts on platform 12. I'm not sure what the problem with that is in that it would perhaps only add a minute or two to the journey through the station?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Although I understand your concern, I wonder if it is that simple. Problem is lots of people would use it when really only those who have a genuine need should.

I find London transport awful for access for those who are disabled or with pushchairs. In 2018 it is simply not good enough and every station should have full access. Cost should not be a factor, although there may be other issues to consider.
cruisr likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As this topic double-dips as "UK", and "trains", we'll move it over to the UK&I forum, where they're ace at both.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Although I understand your concern, I wonder if it is that simple. Problem is lots of people would use it when really only those who have a genuine need should.

I find London transport awful for access for those who are disabled or with pushchairs. In 2018 it is simply not good enough and every station should have full access. Cost should not be a factor, although there may be other issues to consider.
Unfortunately most of the network was built between the 1860s and 1910s, and as ingenious as the Victorians were, they didn't think to include step-free access. In fact it's a testament to how forward thinking they were that it's still running as well as it is, some 150 years on. You only need to look at cities such as Washington D.C. to see how poorly their much more modern systems are holding up in comparison.

As much as you wouldn't want it to be the case, unfortunately money does come into it. I suspect it would come down to a choice such as "do we build crossrail" or "do we make the current system step-free". However when they do refurbish stations such as with Green Park, they are making them fully step-free. I agree it's not ideal.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
As this topic double-dips as "UK", and "trains", we'll move it over to the UK&I forum, where they're ace at both.
I miss the BMI forum where we could have both!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Dave_C
It's a grade I listed building so they're limited in what they can do. However as you rightly pointed out, there is full step free access via the lifts on platform 12. I'm not sure what the problem with that is in that it would perhaps only add a minute or two to the journey through the station?
It adds quite a bit of time and is a much longer way round to reach the taxi rank than going up the stairs to the bridge, especially when you are going to or from Terminal 3 at the front of the train.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Unfortunately most of the network was built between the 1860s and 1910s, and as ingenious as the Victorians were, they didn't think to include step-free access. In fact it's a testament to how forward thinking they were that it's still running as well as it is, some 150 years on. You only need to look at cities such as Washington D.C. to see how poorly their much more modern systems are holding up in comparison.

As much as you wouldn't want it to be the case, unfortunately money does come into it. I suspect it would come down to a choice such as "do we build crossrail" or "do we make the current system step-free". However when they do refurbish stations such as with Green Park, they are making them fully step-free. I agree it's not ideal.
I think it may have been Green Park where I was recently. Going from the platform to the entrance was a trip involving 2 or 3 lifts and quite a long walk.

I have more understanding for those stations in central London where there are a lot more constraints (but also stations are closer together) but outside of this, creating access would be much more straight forward. Yes, it would cost, but then so does everything when providing access for those who need it.

TfL should be looking to provide step free access at all stations. This is 2018 and not 1818 after all.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Only the most rabid accessibility campaigner would want to have a lift on every platform at a station where there are alternative - though longer - routes available to accommodate those that need step free access (which is not just the mobility challenged).

The money for that one lift could be used to make another station accessible and benefit far more people.

Step free access has recently opened at Victoria station for the District line (Victoria will also become strp free later). However it is a much longer route and partly above ground to get to/from the rail station and Victoria Street etc. Because of the station layout it simply wasn't possible to have a shorter step free route.

Look at King's Cross - again the step free route underground is a bit of a detour - again simply because of the practicalities of the layout of a station complex that was built over a long period of time by a number of different owners and when access issues were simply not considered due to the mores of the time that made lifts impractical.

The New York Subway is also having issues in step free access. Indeed the Federal Government is taking the MTA to court because of it's failure to make stations it is refurbishing step free. Again they suffer the same issues as London - a system originally built by different owners at different times.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, IHG Spire Elite
I usually just walk around to the Hilton and get a cab there. Never actually been to the taxi stand.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
Presumably Crossrail will have its own lifts.
Yes, but Crossrail run run through tunnels by the stage it reaches Paddington and is newly build (requiring it to have step-free access for PRMs).

I think it may have been Green Park where I was recently. Going from the platform to the entrance was a trip involving 2 or 3 elevators and quite a long walk.

Bond street station that has been improved to cope with the number of passengers and accommodate the additional passengers once crossrail operates has a similar arrangement.

I think that the solution is not that bad considering that those stations are over a century old and that it will deter people not requiring the elevators from using them. If there were platform to street level elevators, they'd be constantly crowded.

TfL should be looking to provide step free access at all stations. This is 2018 and not 1818 after all.
They are working hard at making more stations step-free. A couple of stations have been retrofitted with elevators reaching platform level and several more are being improved (e.g. Bank/Monument) or plans are being made to incorporate improvements (e.g. Holborn) in the near future.

Obviously it is quite a difficult task given that they have to build and expand without disrupting service. Then, there's the problem that there's plenty of obstacles under London. IIRC in the new parts of Bond Street station there's a hump in the ceiling requiring you to walk down three steps and climb up three steps on the other side. Apparently they had to dig around the now disused London Post office railway.

It's probably going to take much more time until LUL upgrades the stations that still have elevators (e.g. Russell Square, Covent Garden, Lamberth North, Queensway, Goodge Street, etc.) where a retrofit would consist in digging new passageways and building elevators between platforms and the elevators.

Last edited by WorldLux; Mar 18, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.