Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to King’s Cross to Edinburgh

Heathrow to King’s Cross to Edinburgh

Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by WorldLux
On the Piccadilly line, I'd stay in the last carriage. Avoids lengthy walks at King's Cross underground station.
When leaving Kings Cross from deep tube lines, always follow signs to "Hammersmith & City line" up escalators/lifts/stairs until you get to a ticket hall, then leave the station by the nearest route (steps / lift opposite those ticket machines). This avoids the long walk, wherever you are in the train.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
buying the tickets 12 weeks ahead of time would result in the best fares overall.
Virgin Trains East Coast sell tickets on London-Edinburgh trains up to 26 weeks ahead of time.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by stut
The BritRail site....
https://www.britrail.net/
Britrail.net isn't the Britrail site - it's a reseller - ACP Rail International
The Britrail information site is britrail.com which links to the all the different agents that sell the pass (including ACP Rail International)

Reservations are free with a Britrail pass - but you have to do them in person with the pass. The chargeable service is probably effectively a separate reservation without a fare ticket for which there is an admin fee or similar. This is most likely the same charge you faced.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Virgin Trains East Coast sell tickets on London-Edinburgh trains up to 26 weeks ahead of time.
Yes. I bought both first class excursions today at a considerably less cost than I first thought. Two tickets from KGX to EDB for GBP81.80 and two from EDB to INV for GBP41.60 using the Two Together Rail Pass.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Yes. I bought both first class excursions today at a considerably less cost than I first thought. Two tickets from KGX to EDB for GBP81.80 and two from EDB to INV for GBP41.60 using the Two Together Rail Pass.
Not bad! If you haven't printed/downloaded the ticket yet, you can also select seats via the website.

If you want to save time before arriving, incidentally, it is now possible to buy the Two Together Railcard as an app (Apple & Android). You don't need a data connection to use it (although you do, obviously, need some battery life...) If you'd rather have the paper version, it's not a lengthy process - you can download the application form in advance from here:

https://www.twotogether-railcard.co....%20Form(1).pdf

and simply go to a ticket office - with passport photos. Note that standard UK passport photos are slightly smaller than US ones (35mm x 45mm instead of 51mm x 51mm). Not normally an issue, they just take a pair of scissors to it, but do try and pick ones where you don't completely fill the frame.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:43 pm

Not bad! If you haven't printed/downloaded the ticket yet, you can also select seats via the website.

If you want to save time before arriving, incidentally, it is now possible to buy the Two Together Railcard as an app (Apple & Android). You don't need a data connection to use it (although you do, obviously, need some battery life...) If you'd rather have the paper version, it's not a lengthy process - you can download the application form in advance from here:

https://www.twotogether-railcard.co....%20Form(1).pdf

and simply go to a ticket office - with passport photos. Note that standard UK passport photos are slightly smaller than US ones (35mm x 45mm instead of 51mm x 51mm). Not normally an issue, they just take a pair of scissors to it, but do try and pick ones where you don't completely fill the frame.
Thanks. I chose seats on the right-hand side of the train for both trips. A suggestion made by Oxon Flyer. I also opted to pick up the tickets at the departure stations and will buy the Two Together Railcard when we get to KGX. And, I did print out the application to fill out in advance, but thanks for the tips on the photos.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:45 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

At least for some services, once you download / print the tickets they become non-refundable and probably non-changeable. I would recommend saying you will pick up the tickets at your station of first departure.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Smile Rail Pass Question

Thanks for all the ideas on this thread. With that, I purchased the Rail Pass and an Oyster Card to get around the UK while I am there. My question is about the Rail Pass. If I want to reserve seats on a train from KGX to EDI, can I do that before hand or should I just wait until I arrive at KGX? The reason behind the Rail Pass is that I don't have to worry about catching a train at a certain time which allows me some flexibility. However, I would like to be able to pick which seat I am in (First Class). Since I am going up to EDI on a Sunday afternoon, am I too assume that the train won't be that full and I shouldn't have any issues with getting a desired seat (right side facing forwards)? All new to me so any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Sunday afternoon is the busiest time out of London, so if you have a desired seat you should reserve one. Even first class is busy on a weekend because Virgin Trains East Coast sell upgrades for £25 to standard class passengers.

You'll have to reserve a seat by 6pm the day before travel, but the sooner the better. And you can do it at any National Rail ticket office, it doesn't just have to be at Kings Cross.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You could also trying giving Virgin Trains East Coast a call, to explain the situation - that you have a railpass and you want to reserve a seat on a Sunday evening service. They can do reservation-only over the phone, which you can pick up from a ticket machine at the station, but I don't know their policy for passholders. However, it doesn't hurt to try.

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co...ntact-details/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.