Dublin, where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Dublin, where to stay

I've started looking for places to stay in Dublin, we will be there for a 4 days before heading to Donegal. There are a lot of interesting places in Dublin, and not many hotels seem to have king size beds. Would love to hear of some places people have stayed,.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

If you'll be there in the summer, I recommend staying at Trinity University. No king beds though. I have done this and it was a fantastic deal and you are right in the heart of it all. The accommodation is in Student Housing so is basic but more than enough for sleeping comfortably and being out and about at daytime. The campus is completely secure at night, only the main gate is open and only Guests and students are allowed through with your ID. Guests names are in a book with the Guard and they question everyone going in as to their name. We paid I believe $75 a night and that included Continental Breakfast at the dining service.
gjc31 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
If you'll be there in the summer, I recommend staying at Trinity University. No king beds though. I have done this and it was a fantastic deal and you are right in the heart of it all. The accommodation is in Student Housing so is basic but more than enough for sleeping comfortably and being out and about at daytime. The campus is completely secure at night, only the main gate is open and only Guests and students are allowed through with your ID. Guests names are in a book with the Guard and they question everyone going in as to their name. We paid I believe $75 a night and that included Continental Breakfast at the dining service.
Sounds intriguing, however, my basic days are behind me...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I've started looking for places to stay in Dublin, we will be there for a 4 days before heading to Donegal. There are a lot of interesting places in Dublin, and not many hotels seem to have king size beds. Would love to hear of some places people have stayed,.
Your question is far too broad to be readily answered.
Dublin has a range of hotels from luxury down to hostel.
If your 'basic' days are behind you, what do you want to spend?
Also, not sure why you say "not many hotels seem to have king sized beds"?
There are plenty of them - here are five examples:
The Merrion
The Westin on College Green (beside Trinity College)
The Intercontinental in Ballsbridge
Jurys Inn in Christchurch
The Talbot Hotel in Stillorgan (a couple of miles out of the city)

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Feb 23, 2018 at 7:26 pm Reason: added The Merrion and Jurys
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Sounds intriguing, however, my basic days are behind me...
The Clarion on the harbor (there are several Clarions, this one has a name, long one, starts with H--forgot whole name) is excellent. Rooms facing harbor and mountains; breakfast, afternoon waffles, dinner all included; excellent service; historic building; rooftop viewing platform accessible by circular staircase, actually an old bellower; and it's where the "action" is.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
I've often done this when I am in London in the summer (University residences, that is), never thought try it in Dublin as well -- thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, WN Comp Pass, Hertz Pres. Circle
I have stayed at the Shelbourne a couple of times. (Ireland Hotel in Dublin City Centre | The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel). They have king size beds, very nice rooms, great location, and the breakfast was quite good. Lots to do within easy walking distance and of course catch uber to get anywhere else. Not the cheapest place though.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
The Merrion
The Westbury
The Westin near Trinity College
The Shelbourne

Some lead-in category rooms at some hotels will have a queen bed. Look at next category higher for a larger room and king bed.

http://bit.ly/DublinVirtuoso​​​​​​
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your question is far too broad to be readily answered.
Dublin has a range of hotels from luxury down to hostel.
If your 'basic' days are behind you, what do you want to spend?
Also, not sure why you say "not many hotels seem to have king sized beds"?
There are plenty of them - here are five examples:
The Merrion
The Westin on College Green (beside Trinity College)
The Intercontinental in Ballsbridge
Jurys Inn in Christchurch
The Talbot Hotel in Stillorgan (a couple of miles out of the city)
Originally Posted by catcher1
The Clarion on the harbor (there are several Clarions, this one has a name, long one, starts with H--forgot whole name) is excellent. Rooms facing harbor and mountains; breakfast, afternoon waffles, dinner all included; excellent service; historic building; rooftop viewing platform accessible by circular staircase, actually an old bellower; and it's where the "action" is.
Originally Posted by Xnuiem
I have stayed at the Shelbourne a couple of times. (Ireland Hotel in Dublin City Centre The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel). They have king size beds, very nice rooms, great location, and the breakfast was quite good. Lots to do within easy walking distance and of course catch uber to get anywhere else. Not the cheapest place though.
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
The Merrion
The Westbury
The Westin near Trinity College
The Shelbourne

Some lead-in category rooms at some hotels will have a queen bed. Look at next category higher for a larger room and king bed.

http://bit.ly/DublinVirtuoso
I guess I was rushed in posting, looking for a hotel that is close to city center that offers King size beds, price no more then $200/n and has parking
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I guess I was rushed in posting, looking for a hotel that is close to city center that offers King size beds, price no more then $200/n and has parking
The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel might fit your needs. King beds, walking distance to Temple Bar, parking below the hotel, some nights outside of the summer season are around $200. The Maldron Hotel Smithfield also meets your criteria but is further from Temple Bar--not a problem, though, as the Luas light rail runs just outside the hotel and can get you into the center of Dublin in just a few minutes. Maldron is a small chain with hotels throughout Northern Ireland and Ireland, including several more in and around Dublin. Your price point will be hard to meet near the center of Dublin the closer you are to the tourist season, however.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel might fit your needs. King beds, walking distance to Temple Bar, parking below the hotel, some nights outside of the summer season are around $200. The Maldron Hotel Smithfield also meets your criteria but is further from Temple Bar--not a problem, though, as the Luas light rail runs just outside the hotel and can get you into the center of Dublin in just a few minutes. Maldron is a small chain with hotels throughout Northern Ireland and Ireland, including several more in and around Dublin. Your price point will be hard to meet near the center of Dublin the closer you are to the tourist season, however.
thank you, I'm seeing that my price of $200/n is not realistic. We are planning to be for Thanksgiving of this year.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I stayed at the Best Western Academy Plaza and the room had a king bed (and a lovely view of a brick wall).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 24, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
thank you, I'm seeing that my price of $200/n is not realistic. We are planning to be for Thanksgiving of this year.
For Thanksgiving, that price point may be realistic. I was there for Thanksgiving week a couple of years ago. Staying under $200 was possible; in fact, that's when I stayed at the Maldron Smithfield.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I stayed at the Best Western Academy Plaza and the room had a king bed (and a lovely view of a brick wall).
LOL I'll check them out, hopefully, if we stay there we won't get a brink wall as our view
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
An alternative view at the BW is of the outdoor pub next door with loud live music into the wee hours. At least the bricks were quiet neighbors. I did find the location convenient, both for the bus ride from DUB and walking to some of the touristy places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.