Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T3 to hotel near Ealing Common post surgery

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

LHR T3 to hotel near Ealing Common post surgery

I am planning to fly to London 8 weeks after having a total hysterectomy. I am taking my two-wheel upright pullman and do not want to lift it up steps. I also want to be able to roll it on and off public transport with no lifting.

I have the step free tube guide map.

My hotel is about a 4 minute walk from Ealing Common. I've stayed there before and know that the Ealing Common tube station has steps so I can't take the Tube there from LHR.

Here is my idea and I hope I can do this as I don't want to spend money on car service. If I take the Heathrow Connect to Ealing Broadway, is the exit from the train to the street step-free? I am not sure if the map I linked above shows that. If it does or does not, my apologies. But I would like to verify with you all here.

Next, if the transfer from the Heathrow Connect to the street is step-free, I would like to take a bus to my hotel. There are a few lines that go in that direction. Can one board the buses step free? NYC buses have that functionality of converting the steps into a ramp but I don't know about London.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Ealing Broadway is being converted to step-free for Crossrail, but not certain it has been completed yet

On London buses, accessible access is via a ramp that extends out from the rear door. With no visible disability it may be hard to get the driver to activate it.

With your specific circumstances UberX for around £30 may be a better option.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's hard enough (by all accounts) to get the driver to extend the ramp for wheelchair passengers, let alone those without a visible disability... However, note that London buses are unlike the typical US design, in that the lower floor is typically level with the pavement (sidewalk). So there's little step up if it manages to arrive level with the kerb, and no steps once you're inside until you get to the very back of the lower level (or, of course, want to go upstairs).

However, that's an 'if'. And it's not entirely gapless - otherwise, you're dependent on the kindness of strangers.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
It's hard enough (by all accounts) to get the driver to extend the ramp for wheelchair passengers, let alone those without a visible disability... However, note that London buses are unlike the typical US design, in that the lower floor is typically level with the pavement (sidewalk). So there's little step up if it manages to arrive level with the kerb, and no steps once you're inside until you get to the very back of the lower level (or, of course, want to go upstairs).

However, that's an 'if'. And it's not entirely gapless - otherwise, you're dependent on the kindness of strangers.
At JFK, I'll ask the person in front or behind me to help lift my bag when I go though security and I'll explain why. I would hope people might help. I'll also ask someone to lift the bag to the overhead compartment. I've helped others when asked.

I will do the same at the bus stop if there is a step between the sidewalk and the bus. I won't go upstairs!

stut, what about at Ealing Broadway itself? Can I roll the bag from the Heathrow Connect train to the street? If not, at least there are plenty of people at the train station. I would hope somebody might help out too. I've gotten off the tube at Ealing Common and have been the only one walking up the stairs so that's why I know that won't work.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
With your specific circumstances UberX for around £30 may be a better option.
I can't see how uber would work for me given that I'll be relying 100% on wifi and I'm not sure if I'll have wifi by the arrivals exit (or wherever uber picks up passengers). How long is the free wifi available? The car won't have wifi so I can't even add the tip. Yes, I could get cash but prefer to use my travel rewards Visa.

Last edited by Analise; Feb 19, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Ealing Broadway is always busy so I think you would stand a better chance of help there than Ealing Common. This step-free guide to the tube may help if you have not seen it before: https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...-guide-map.pdf and here you will find the Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide: https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12387.aspx amongst others.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

No, as mentioned above, Ealing Broadway is not yet step-free. The Heathrow Connect trains also have a step down to the platform (passengers with a disability are served by a manual ramp).

If a tip is a worry with Uber, don't let it be - it's really not expected here.

Alternatively, pre-book a car service (minicab) pick-up from a company in Ealing to collect you at the terminal. BERC always used to be the good ones round there (been a while for me though!)

A final option is to get to Acton Town, which has lifts, and hail a taxi from there. However, as I'm sure you remember, there is quite a step up from the train to the platform at that station.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, as mentioned above, Ealing Broadway is not yet step-free. The Heathrow Connect trains also have a step down to the platform (passengers with a disability are served by a manual ramp).

If a tip is a worry with Uber, don't let it be - it's really not expected here.

Alternatively, pre-book a car service (minicab) pick-up from a company in Ealing to collect you at the terminal. BERC always used to be the good ones round there (been a while for me though!)

A final option is to get to Acton Town, which has lifts, and hail a taxi from there. However, as I'm sure you remember, there is quite a step up from the train to the platform at that station.
And it's Acton.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I'm leaning toward Ealing Broadway. Are there GWR employees on the platform at Ealing Broadway who would be willing to bring my carry on bag up the stairs to the street? I guess worse comes to the worst, I could ask somebody nearby to help.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Thank you for the info. I'm leaning toward Ealing Broadway. Are there GWR employees on the platform at Ealing Broadway who would be willing to bring my carry on bag up the stairs to the street? I guess worse comes to the worst, I could ask somebody nearby to help.
No, Ealing Broadway is a TfL run station, rather than GWR. As the heavy rail service is local rather than inter-city, the platform dispatch is automated, so you're not guaranteed to find anyone there either. I think your best bet is to stand at the foot of the stair and look in need of help!
Analise likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

No, Ealing Broadway is a TfL run station, rather than GWR. As the heavy rail service is local rather than inter-city, the platform dispatch is automated, so you're not guaranteed to find anyone there either. I think your best bet is to stand at the foot of the stair and look in need of help!
Thanks! I might have to do that!

I reached out to a GWR rep on FB messenger. He gave me a link to request assistance 24 hours in advance. He said that if my flight is delayed or I'm delayed at immigration and miss that train, I can ask an agent at the Heathrow Connect ticket window area to contact Ealing Broadway for me to notify them of my delay and which train I'll be on. I would assume the agent would tell me which car to board so they can locate me quickly.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:00 pm

Thanks! I might have to do that!

I reached out to a GWR rep on FB messenger. He gave me a link to request assistance 24 hours in advance. He said that if my flight is delayed or I'm delayed at immigration and miss that train, I can ask an agent at the Heathrow Connect ticket window area to contact Ealing Broadway for me to notify them of my delay and which train I'll be on. I would assume the agent would tell me which car to board so they can locate me quickly.
While it's great that they've offered that service, I'd urge you to double-check the communication, as assistance is normally only offered to passengers with a disability, or older passengers:

https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/assisted-travel

Assistance is generally on both ends of the journey, and you'd be seated next to the accessible toilet on the train - the assistant at the arrival station will know to wait at this point (there's usually manual ramp available to them there as well).

If they're offering it in your case, that's great. I'd look for the wheelchair symbol on the outside of the train (this will be the area on the train with a wheelchair space and an accessible toilet) and board there. I can't remember whether Heathrow has a platform hump or a folded boarding ramp against the wall at that point, but I'm sure you can find someone on the platform to ask (be sure to specify it's for a Connect train, though...)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

stut, that was the link the GWR showed me also. I specified why I needed assistance and he said it was no problem. He instructed me to explain the surgery situation in the "if other please give details" section.

If they're offering it in your case, that's great. I'd look for the wheelchair symbol on the outside of the train (this will be the area on the train with a wheelchair space and an accessible toilet) and board there. I can't remember whether Heathrow has a platform hump or a folded boarding ramp against the wall at that point, but I'm sure you can find someone on the platform to ask (be sure to specify it's for a Connect train, though…)
I will. Thank you!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
At JFK, I'll ask the person in front or behind me to help lift my bag when I go though security and I'll explain why. I would hope people might help. I'll also ask someone to lift the bag to the overhead compartment. I've helped others when asked.

I will do the same at the bus stop if there is a step between the sidewalk and the bus. I won't go upstairs!

stut, what about at Ealing Broadway itself? Can I roll the bag from the Heathrow Connect train to the street? If not, at least there are plenty of people at the train station. I would hope somebody might help out too. I've gotten off the tube at Ealing Common and have been the only one walking up the stairs so that's why I know that won't work.

I can't see how uber would work for me given that I'll be relying 100% on wifi and I'm not sure if I'll have wifi by the arrivals exit (or wherever uber picks up passengers). How long is the free wifi available? The car won't have wifi so I can't even add the tip. Yes, I could get cash but prefer to use my travel rewards Visa.
If you have an unlocked phone why not buy a UK sim card before you leave? That way you have a phone number and data before you get off the plane?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
If you have an unlocked phone why not buy a UK sim card before you leave? That way you have a phone number and data before you get off the plane?
I don't have an unlocked phone. I could see what Verizon will do regarding my iPhone. I haven't used a SIM card in years. Or...…I have the Verizon Travel Pass on my plan meaning that if I choose to make a phone call, I will be charged $10 for 24 hours after that call is connected and that would give me access to the data on my plan and unlimited phone calling both receiving and making the call. Something to consider too.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I don't have an unlocked phone. I could see what Verizon will do regarding my iPhone. I haven't used a SIM card in years. Or...…I have the Verizon Travel Pass on my plan meaning that if I choose to make a phone call, I will be charged $10 for 24 hours after that call is connected and that would give me access to the data on my plan and unlimited phone calling both receiving and making the call. Something to consider too.
Your Verizon iPhone is almost certainly not locked abroad. You can confirm this with Verizon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.