Wiki Posts
Search

Journey time from central London to Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Question Journey time from central London to Gatwick

Hi everyone. I need information about how long it takes to get from central London (Trafalgar Square) to Gatwick Airport (South). Gatwick Express canceled all services on the first two Sundays in March, and I do not want to deal with replacement buses and would prefer to pre-book a car. However, I have never taken a taxi from London into LGW and am not sure how much time to budget. Looking to be at the airport around 10am on a Sunday. Thank you!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:04 am

Seems like the line in closed at the airport

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=04%2F03%2F2018&TO C=sn

An alternative to rail replacement bus is to take a coach, which runs from Victoria Coach station.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with comments about cars

Last edited by lfc84; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:09 am
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lfc84
Seems like the line in closed at the airport

National Rail Enquiries - Future engineering work

Coaches run from Victoria Coach station
Thank you lfc84!

I will look into buses, even though I'd rather pre-book a car from my hotel.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Around 1h20-1h30 in a car (there is no motorway in South London)

UberX is around Ł60-70
Andriyko likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Around 1h20-1h30 in a car (there is no motorway in South London)

UberX is around Ł60-70
..and Gett Taxi, from near King's Cross is Ł75 fixed fee. I would personally recommend a black taxi for that little extra.

May I ask people how long they would allow a car to get from near KX to LGW south terminal at the absolute height of the rush hour (I am accompanying my elderly mother and a lot of luggage so we simply cannot use public transport). I thought maye two hours would be safe?

Thank you.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by hsmall
May I ask people how long they would allow a car to get from near KX to LGW south terminal at the absolute height of the rush hour (I am accompanying my elderly mother and a lot of luggage so we simply cannot use public transport). I thought maye two hours would be safe?Thank you.
Well what time exactly? If the flight is scheduled to depart between say 1800-2200 on a weekday, I guess I would want the car to pick me up 5 hours before, especially if your elderly mother is going to be a bit slower walking and getting through security. A black cab may be 15 minutes faster as they can use bus lanes and may know about diversionary routes, not sure whether Uber drivers' app reroutes them in heavy traffic or how good the rerouting might be.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Getting out of London towards the M23 is slow and frustrating at any time of day and can turn into a nightmare during rush hour Google and Waze keep changing their minds on best routes as you are driving. I did the drive two Fridays ago to a destination beyond Gatwick and it was truly awful, with various stretches of roadworks adding to the fun.

The only constructive suggestion I can make is to take a fixed price ride, leave more time than you could possibly imagine and pay for entry to a lounge at Gatwick should you arrive with hours to spare.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thanks for the replies. I had intended to leave four hours (i.e. 1600 for a 2020 flight) but I will add at least 30 minutes.

Thanks

Harry
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by hsmall
Thanks for the replies. I had intended to leave four hours (i.e. 1600 for a 2020 flight) but I will add at least 30 minutes.

Thanks

Harry

Beware of the school run from 2.30pm to 4.30pm! Ties in nicely with the normal work day traffic!

As advised, check your route. Looking on Google the most "direct" route is estimated on a weekday afternoon to take 1H.30M to 3H10M! All the other routes (eg via A40/M25) are also in that range. Good luck!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
Beware of the school run from 2.30pm to 4.30pm! Ties in nicely with the normal work day traffic!

As advised, check your route. Looking on Google the most "direct" route is estimated on a weekday afternoon to take 1H.30M to 3H10M! All the other routes (eg via A40/M25) are also in that range. Good luck!
In the end I decided hat my mother, with help, was not so elderly as not to manage Thameslink - in first class of course :-)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

oster card

Gatwitch to london is now under the osyter card so ask at ticket desk for this option
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
Gatwitch to london is now under the osyter card so ask at ticket desk for this option
in regard to questions, i would allow for an hour
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
Gatwick (not Gatwitch) airport to/from London by train is indeed now part of the Oyster and contactless system.

If you have an Oyster card, there's no need to ask at the ticket desk, you can just go ahead and use it - ditto for a contactless payment card.

The fares vary depending on whether you use the premium Gatwick Express train from Victoria (not worth it), or a regular Southern or Thameslink train, and whether your journey starts at a peak time (0630-0930 and 1600-1900 weekdays) or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.