Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Quiet areas to stay in London

Old Feb 13, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Can anyone give recommendations on quiet areas to stay in London? Looking to stay relatively close to things, mostly vegetarian restaurants is our priority. Don't mind taking the tube, but will probably Uber.
Old Feb 13, 18, 5:27 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You could try areas like Stoke Newington, Crouch End, Islington, Maida Vale, Clapham, Wimbledon, Greenwich, Blackheath or similar. Not sure if quiet is the term I'd personally use (I'm a 5 minute walk from open countryside) but they're certainly more laid back than central London.

Transport options vary, but Uber is always around, if rather less useful in peak times.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:29 pm

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
If you want to be central but quiet, I would recommend Bloomsbury. You can find several quiet residential streets but still be walking distance from everything. If you want to be out a bit further, I would highly recommend the several neighbourhoods next to Victoria Park. It is my favourite park in London, great if you enjoy walking around, but don't want the crowds you get in Hyde Park/Regents Park. I wouldn't worry too much about being near veggie restaurants, as restaurants with good options for veggies are not difficult to find. Hope you enjoy your trip.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 15, 18, 9:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
On our last few visits we've chosen the South Kensington/Kensington High Street area. All the conveniences of London but not quite the same hustle and bustle. Easier tube access to Heathrow too.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 15, 18, 9:58 am

Programs: HH, BD
I'd add Hampstead and Highgate to Stut's list. They're on ether side of Hampstead Heath (700 acres of park) and they have underground stations. Richmond also has a lot of green parkland, and railway lines into the centre, so that might also work.

If you want quiet AND central (that requires a different definition of quiet, I guess) then Bloomsbury might work, as AlwaysFlyStar suggested. You could add Primrose Hill and Notting Hill to that list. They're not "quiet" in the same way that Stut's recommendations are quiet, but that's where to look for some oases of calm amid the madness that is London.

EDIT - And to Stut's list, you could add Dulwich and Greenwich. All the Wiches and Hills ...
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Privileges, National Emerald
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
On our last few visits we've chosen the South Kensington/Kensington High Street area. All the conveniences of London but not quite the same hustle and bustle. Easier tube access to Heathrow too.
Same here. Not a vegetarian so I can't comment on that, but I am sure they are around. It's a good area with good transportation options.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think we are leaning towards Kennsingon, more specifically near the intersection of Palace Gate and Canning Place. Another location we found is The Maltings area, seems like there's lots of places to eat and do around in that area, however we wonder if it'll be as quiet or noisy....
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM (ex-EXP :( ), BA Gold, UA Peon
I think that it's more important to consider the exact street you will be staying in rather than an area. A side street, cul-de-sac preferable, will be quieter than a main road. Bear in mind that hotels have front and rear, the rear may not face something as nice as the front. Also avoid overground rail lines within a couple of streets.
In addition, pick a more modern property and check online reviews to make sure noise problems are not mentioned often.
kalderlake and rjruiz like this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I think that it's more important to consider the exact street you will be staying in rather than an area. A side street, cul-de-sac preferable, will be quieter than a main road. Bear in mind that hotels have front and rear, the rear may not face something as nice as the front. Also avoid overground rail lines within a couple of streets.
In addition, pick a more modern property and check online reviews to make sure noise problems are not mentioned often.
Plenty of small pockets in Central London that are relatively quiet. If the trip is over the weekend, then staying in the City may be quiet (and cheap).
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 10:13 am
Original Poster

How is the Southwark area? Right next to borough market? I realize itís close to the train tracks but I think it will be okay since we plan on being out most of the day. I assume the above ground trains stop sometime around midnight?
Old Feb 20, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
How is the Southwark area? Right next to borough market? I realize it’s close to the train tracks but I think it will be okay since we plan on being out most of the day. I assume the above ground trains stop sometime around midnight?
Depends on your definition of "quiet area". Are you just looking for a quiet area in order to have a quiet room or do you want an area with little traffic (both vehicles and pedestrians)?

The only place In Southwark I've stayed at a couple of times was the Hilton Bankside. The room (looking into the inner court) was very quiet.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Depends on your definition of "quiet area". Are you just looking for a quiet area in order to have a quiet room or do you want an area with little traffic (both vehicles and pedestrians)?

The only place In Southwark I've stayed at a couple of times was the Hilton Bankside. The room (looking into the inner court) was very quiet.
Quiet with little traffic both vehicles and pedestrians. The place is on the top floor, I think 5th floor facing west. Really close to Boroguh Market and the tracks.
Old Feb 20, 18, 11:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
How is the Southwark area? Right next to borough market? I realize itís close to the train tracks but I think it will be okay since we plan on being out most of the day. I assume the above ground trains stop sometime around midnight?
I used to live 2 minutes away. This would be more London Bridge than Southwark, and it's a busy neighborhood day and night. The Thameslink trains run all night
rjruiz likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so it sounds like we are going to settle in the south Kensington area, just south of the Baglioni Hotel. Seems rather quiet in the area and the place faces away from a street. Can anyone recommend any vegan or vegetarian places close by restaurants and groceries?
Old Feb 20, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Okay, so it sounds like we are going to settle in the south Kensington area, just south of the Baglioni Hotel. Seems rather quiet in the area and the place faces away from a street. Can anyone recommend any vegan or vegetarian places close by restaurants and groceries?
I'm not vegan but there's an Indian restaurant called Memories of India on Gloucester Road that is vegetarian friendly. Go down Palace Gate which turns into Gloucester. It's on the right hand side. For groceries there's a Whole Foods on the north side of Kensington High Street just past Young St. from your hotel.
rjruiz likes this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: