Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best way to go EUS-LHR with large cases?

Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci

Due to BA not extending their sale fares to "the regions" and their ridiculous policy of not through-checking baggage even between their own bookings, my next trip is booked ex-LHR. This means I will be coming into Euston with several unwieldy suitcases and needing to get them to T3 on my own. My knowledge of central London is reasonable, but does not extend to the layouts and number of stairs at individual tube stations. So how would you do this? Walk Euston to King's Cross and then Piccadilly line? Northern Line and change at Leicester Square? Victoria line and change at Green Park? Something else? I'm much too cheap to take a cab. This will be on a Saturday if that makes any difference.

All knowledge and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Walking Euston to Kings Cross with cases wouldn't be idea of fun. Perhaps OK on a summer day without bags but it's further than it looks. Probably the least hiking around the tube would be Euston Square (just over the station plaza) to Paddington to HEX. If you are trying to save your pennies then maybe Victoria Line to Victoria, then there's a fairly easy connection to District Line to Barons Court (quieter station than Hammersmith if you board at the back of the train someone will get off at Hammersmith so you'll get a seat). That will take 75 minutes from Euston to T3.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
This means I will be coming into Euston with several unwieldy suitcases and needing to get them to T3 on my own.
Definitely T3? One option is to get a train that stops at Watford Junction and then the 724 bus (£15 for a return valid 90 days, but only once an hour).

Walking to Kings Cross is doable, but kind of a struggle with unwieldy suitcases. If you won't pay for the Heathrow Express then that is probably the best option, rather than navigating the bowels of Green Park station.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
My suggestion would be to take the Bus from Euston to Paddington and then take the HEX.

Or you can take the the Hammersmith & City line or Circle line to Paddington (H&C Line) from Euston square and then HEX. I used to find the H&C station at Paddington to be easier to use with bags with fewer steps/stairs, but I haven't done this route for a while.

BTW: If you use the TFLwebsite to search for connections then there is an option for "Step free access" which can help in such cases.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I would not want to wakl EUSTON-KGX with several cases!
What about a cab to Paddington and HEX? That will be stepfree for you and definitely most comfy option!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I would not want to wakl EUSTON-KGX with several cases!
What about a cab to Paddington and HEX? That will be stepfree for you and definitely most comfy option!
This.

With cases anything else is just too much aggro..
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I've done this before with skis. Most straightfoward is walk the short distance to Euston Square (five mins with bags), then take the Circle Line to Paddington, then the HEX.

Another alternative with be a taxi or an Uber to Paddington, then the HEX. Or just a cab straight to HEX.

One other alternative, go bag free and have them delivered to the airport - they will pick up from London railway stations for same day delivery https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...ggage-delivery

The only tube option would be horrible, but it would be cheap.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:00 am

If you're taking the tube to Paddington, try to get a Hammersmith-bound train as it goes to the part of Paddington nearer the Heathrow Express.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:12 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Typically I hate oblique answers of the form "why not do something completely different?", but... must you come all the way in to Euston? Could National Express from elsewhere straight to LHR (or the 724 from Watford as mentioned above) be more favourable than a central London transfer?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Guys, if the person does not want to take a cab, then forget HeX as it's 80% of the price! Do as CWS said, Euston to Victoria on the Victoria Line, change onto the District Westbound and change at Barons Court for Picadilly line to Heathrow T123 &5. All yours for GBP 3.10.

HeX is for 'billionaires'!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably the least hiking around the tube would be Euston Square (just over the station plaza) to Paddington to HEX. If you are trying to save your pennies then maybe Victoria Line to Victoria, then there's a fairly easy connection to District Line to Barons Court (quieter station than Hammersmith if you board at the back of the train someone will get off at Hammersmith so you'll get a seat). That will take 75 minutes from Euston to T3.
There are lifts at Euston Square and Paddington, but can't guarantee they're working, you'll need to cross roads and take multiple lifts to get down to the platforms, and Paddington H&C is a notoriously busy station, plus a schlep to the HEX if you're avoiding stairs. Changing at Victoria is also fine if you like stairs.

No, far, FAR better, if you're not in a hurry and want to save pennies, to take the Victoria Line from Euston to Green Park, ***ignore all interchange signs***, take escalator to Way Out, and then the escalator back down to Picadilly for the Heathrow tube. The Londoner's secret interchange route. Completely and utterly step free. Preferred by my almost 70-year old parents. There are even platform ramps at certain points at these stations, so wheelchairs (or suitcases) can slide on and off with minimal fuss.
NickB, RichardInSF, lfc84 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Reading all the replies... sounds like the best option would've been to do the flight from the regions and get on bus between the terminals. There'll be trolleys either side of the bus to make life a bit easier!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kt74
No, far, FAR better, if you're not in a hurry and want to save pennies, to take the Victoria Line from Euston to Green Park, ***ignore all interchange signs***, take escalator to Way Out, and then the escalator back down to Picadilly for the Heathrow tube. The Londoner's secret interchange route. Completely and utterly step free. Preferred by my almost 70-year old parents. There are even platform ramps at certain points at these stations, so wheelchairs (or suitcases) can slide on and off with minimal fuss.
+1

I use this Green Park Interchange all the time. The key thing (as is mentioned) is to ignore the Piccadilly Interchange signs and follow "Way Out" instead.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
'several unwieldy cases'

Get an uber, £30-£41 it says right now.

Save all that hassle up and down the stairs and escalators and steps. Honestly, it will be so much easier, and well worth the small outlay.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Guys, if the person does not want to take a cab, then forget HeX as it's 80% of the price! Do as CWS said, Euston to Victoria on the Victoria Line, change onto the District Westbound and change at Barons Court for Picadilly line to Heathrow T123 &5. All yours for GBP 3.10.

HeX is for 'billionaires'!
Heathrow Connect from Paddington is cheaper, for the time cost of 4 station stops.
HeX can be had for £5 if booked far enough in advance at the weekend ( no need to book a specific train, just the day).

signol
NeverFirst and KARFA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.