Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Refused Entry in UK via Brussels Eurostar...how does this affect future travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Entry in UK via Brussels Eurostar...how does this affect future travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Anyone know if this would affect his entry into Ireland? (given the Common Travel Area, they may share information.) If not, until such time as there is a hard border, he could fly into Dublin, take a bus to Belfast, and then fly to Britain from Belfast.
Counselling someone in the commission of an offence is not a great idea
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Welcome to FT, UKGrad! While Flyertalk is an excellent forum for travel information, obtaining immigration advice here is tantamount to listening to your student advisor again. Hire a professional immigration lawyer and do things the right (read: legal) way.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Condition One
Welcome to FT, UKGrad! While Flyertalk is an excellent forum for travel information, obtaining immigration advice here is tantamount to listening to your student advisor again. Hire a professional immigration lawyer and do things the right (read: legal) way.
100% agree and these threads should be shut down. In the UK it is actually illegal for a non approved person to offer immigration advice. If I'd seen this earlier I would have simply told the OP to contact a proper source of advice.

It's been 10 days since the OP posted and I don't see them posting again.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My wife is a Spanish Vice Consul and has to deal with people every week who have been given wrong information by 'well meaning' others. Some of the info may have been relevant a couple of years ago but is either out of date or only applicable to certain individuals.
Best to go and seek answers from those you know are qualified to offer advice.
Silver Fox, ajGoes, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi again all, I realize it has been a while since I originally started this thread so I apologize for the delay in responding. I thank you and appreciate all the feedback and responses given to my initial post. Also please forgive me for my newbie posting status and not having figured out how to reply with multiple quotes (there might be a small chain of replies going forward).

As a clarification, my main question was indeed regarding whether it would be okay to return to non-UK European countries (Schengen area) as a tourist. It was an option I was considering as an alternative meeting point for my gf and me, though I have since partially been able to sort the majority of my most important belongings and have also been briefly reunited with her as she visited California last month. We still would like to make plans to see parts of Europe together in the future and I am still unsure whether I would be flagged by those countries--I remember on my KEF connection back to LAX, I was concerned when the officer looked at the passport pages and undoubtedly saw the crosses on the Brussels train stamps and I don't know what conclusion she came to before letting me through. I haven't spoken to any immigration experts and I do understand that any well-intended information posted here shouldn't be treated as official...it did after all bite me in the bum the last time I took unofficial advice.

Last edited by UKGrad; Jun 21, 2018 at 8:26 pm Reason: grammatical corrections
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Unfortunately, you really did present as a bad risk in terms of the possibility of you staying and working illegally. As you say, you understand their thinking. They had to make a decision and they decided against allowing you entry. So you are where you are.
There have been a spectrum of responses from family and friends about the situation--all sympathetic--though friends in the US tend to think there were other underlying reasons that I have repeatedly dismissed while friends in the UK remind me that the job was just being done as it should (fair enough). It's still difficult to reflect on because while I do understand the reasoning, the one bit that still stings is when I was called back in for the final decision by the officer who initially questioned me, he winked as I entered the room. At first I thought it was reassurance, but afterwards I realised he was probably, subtly taking the piss.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by UKGrad
Hi again all, I realize it has been a while since I originally started this thread so I apologize for the delay in responding. I thank you and appreciate all the feedback and responses given to my initial post. Also please forgive me for my newbie posting status and not having figured out how to reply with multiple quotes (there might be a small chain of replies going forward).

As a clarification, my main question was indeed regarding whether it would be okay to return to non-UK European countries (Schengen area) as a tourist. It was an option I was considering as an alternative meeting point for my gf and me, though I have since partially been able to sort the majority of my most important belongings and have also been briefly reunited with her as she visited California last month. We still would like to make plans to see parts of Europe together in the future and I am still unsure whether I would be flagged by those countries--I remember on my KEF connection back to LAX, I was concerned when the officer looked at the passport pages and undoubtedly saw the crosses on the Brussels train stamps and I don't know what conclusion she came to before letting me through. I haven't spoken to any immigration experts and I do understand that any well-intended information posted here shouldn't be treated as official...it did after all bite me in the bum the last time I took unofficial advice.
I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that there was a crossed out Brussels train station immigration stamp. I would get a new passport before going back to Schengen, no point in having a red flag in your passport. As far as people here saying get competent advice - you are not going to get better advice than you get here. This is not a legal question about any country's laws - it is a question about whether your name has made it into some sort of list that would flag you to Schengen border officials. No one can tell you that with any degree of authority if you are on such a list or not. I would suspect that even if you are on a list if you can show a bank statement with money and you have a round-trip ticket you will get in.
UKGrad likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
UKGrad, welcome to FT, and on a positive note many congratulations on completing your Masters.

The bad news, as others have said, is that you pretty much managed to raise every red flag going. It’s not entirely surprising you were refused, and whoever advised you at the University should also be taking a look at themselves - this was never going to end well.

That said, your future prospects are much, much better - the UK will need skilled graduates, and certainly those with Masters, from all over the world in the years to come. Establish a presence at home, perhaps see if you can still get the sponsored Tier 2 visa in time, or a job in the US, and build from there. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t both travel to and work throughout Europe, including the UK, at some point in the future.

As for getting your possessions back, at least you still have close friends and a girlfriend that can help with that - even if it means shipping them to you as cargo. You could well have been in a far worse position, that’s for sure.

I wish you the very best of luck - it’s sounds like you’re due some - and I hope you’ll continue to contribute here as your own experience of travel grows and prospers.
Thank you for your very kind words. It's kind of funny...I actually was based in Norwich while I was studying in the UK...so you probably know which university I got the advice from.

To avoid going off-topic, I will say that I am due to return next month for graduation (only occurs once a year so I was invited to this July's ceremony). I understand that I will need to provide documents that show my visit is legitimate: letter of degree conferment, confirmation of graduation attendance, hotel bookings for the week, and of course a return ticket. I expect scrutiny and still haven't decided whether I am flying directly into LHR or if perhaps I should fly into NWI, meaning a likely connection in AMS.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
My point is, I don't believe that is true. If he honestly and lawfully enters Ireland, and enters the UK from there, as a US citizen not requiring a visa, and not having any intention other than tourism etc for the permitted time, and has arranged travel to return home within that time, then he is lawfully in the UK. If he is found in the UK during this time, he is found to be lawfully there. That is my understanding from the rules I quoted above. (As I say, happy to be corrected if I have misread them, but you don't appear to be saying I have.)

Again that is advice for peace of mind and not risking being denied entry, which I agree with, However that is different to advice on what is or isn't an unlawful entry.
I remember that before coming to the UK on my student visa, I was specifically instructed not to enter Ireland before entering the UK. I would not take that chance and would never try to sneak in intentionally nor incidentally, however desperate I am to be able to return to the UK.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:05 pm

I remember that before coming to the UK on my student visa, I was specifically instructed not to enter Ireland before entering the UK. I would not take that chance and would never try to sneak in intentionally nor incidentally, however desperate I am to be able to return to the UK.
They are two very different things.

When you enter with a student visa issued by the UK, you must by law present yourself to the UK Border Force when entering the country. If you come through Ireland you cannot meet this requirement because you will not come into contact with the UK Border Force.

On the other hand, it is perfectly permissible for a tourist from the US to enter Ireland and then the UK from Ireland.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I would get a new passport before going back to Schengen, no point in having a red flag in your passport.
This is what I've been torn about. I thought that maybe I should get a new passport for EU purposes (due for renewal in 2020 and I have aged and gained weight since the photo was taken so it would be appropriate to renew now). However, since I am planning to attend the graduation ceremony this summer, I suspect that UK immigration would further question me about having a new passport as the old passport shows my travel history in and out of the UK for the last few years which I presume they would want to see.

As far as people here saying get competent advice - you are not going to get better advice than you get here. This is not a legal question about any country's laws - it is a question about whether your name has made it into some sort of list that would flag you to Schengen border officials. No one can tell you that with any degree of authority if you are on such a list or not. I would suspect that even if you are on a list if you can show a bank statement with money and you have a round-trip ticket you will get in.
I would hope that this along with my invitation to the ceremony and confirmation of attendance (dues paid for reception, gown hire, etc) would also suffice.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

They are two very different things.

When you enter with a student visa issued by the UK, you must by law present yourself to the UK Border Force when entering the country. If you come through Ireland you cannot meet this requirement because you will not come into contact with the UK Border Force.

On the other hand, it is perfectly permissible for a tourist from the US to enter Ireland and then the UK from Ireland.
Thank you for the clarification. I still think that, as a tourist on my upcoming visit, the likely scenario will be arriving into NWI (Norwich where my university is located) through AMS on a Delta/KLM codeshare connection. For some reason I am rationalizing that it would like better to arrive into the city that serves the main purpose of my visit. A few of my US friends who studied abroad for a semester there told me they preferred flying into NWI via AMS rather than LHR for convenience.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:13 pm

If you'd like to practice for the Border Force, you can watch this series: www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4bRTk8Y-Z0
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you for your very kind words. It's kind of funny...I actually was based in Norwich while I was studying in the UK...so you probably know which university I got the advice from.

To avoid going off-topic, I will say that I am due to return next month for graduation (only occurs once a year so I was invited to this July's ceremony). I understand that I will need to provide documents that show my visit is legitimate: letter of degree conferment, confirmation of graduation attendance, hotel bookings for the week, and of course a return ticket. I expect scrutiny and still haven't decided whether I am flying directly into LHR or if perhaps I should fly into NWI, meaning a likely connection in AMS.
Well, at least your graduation gives you an opportunity to give whoever it was at the UEA who advised you a piece of your mind the benefit of your immigration experience!

Whilst you are likely to be scrutinised at whichever airport you arrive at, I'm inclined to think the process would be much quicker and less painful at NWI - they're only processing 100 passengers at most on the KLM flight from AMS, they will know the local university and likely have far better contacts there than the officers at LHR. It strikes me that local knowledge could be very important in this case, and a hotel reservation at only a Norwich hotel for the period of your visit ought to be another decent indication that you don't intend to travel elsewhere in the country and disappear.
UKGrad likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

This is not correct. And it is usually possible to present yourself to a UKBF agent when arriving in Great Britain by air from Ireland.

Nobody will ask questions about having a new passport, but the UKBF agents will know all about the previous refusal of entry.

If you want more certainty about your entry to the UK, apply for a tourist visa. If it is granted and your circumstances do not change between the grant of visa and your arrival in the UK, there will be little rationale to refuse entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.