Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

What to do in London with family?

What to do in London with family?

Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The weather is likely to be bad (cold, raining) some of the time. So I suggest you have several alternative ideas and choose which is best each day. The zoo in the rain is no fun.

The Natural History Museum is a good indoor thing for children, easy to engage with, visually appealing, with a fine selection of cakes in the cafe. Even the most traditionally Victorian part of the NHM, the minerals galleries, can be interesting to children (of all ages): Oooh, Shiny!

The Tower is also good, as long as it's not raining a lot: it's a giant castle with (slightly) scary ravens and old time guards (often sardonic, for the adult entertainment) full of armour and treasure, what is there not to like about that? You have to walk outside between the buildings, hence not good in a downpour.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What ages are your children? That might help in making suggestions.

Also, bear in mind you are going to be there in March. Outdoor activities (e.g. a Thames cruise) might be less welcoming than in June.

FWIW, I've found most London attractions to be child friendly with lots for them to do.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:12 am

If you fancy four hours of shopping you can always drop your kids at Kidzania in Westfield White City. Okay, only half kidding because we just did that with ours today
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Watching this thread with interest as a friend is bringing her kids to visit in the summer. I was thinking about the Kensington museums as suggested up thread. I also thought we would do a day on the south bank starting with a photo opportunity at Big Ben/Houses of Parliament -> London Eye -> Wander past the street market, Tate modern, Globe Theater, Golden Hinde, Tower Bridge -> Tower of London (if time). Lots of opportunity to stop off for food or have a closer look at things if they want to. If the weather is nice you can just amble around watching the street entertainers and trying different foods from the market.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onylon
Watching this thread with interest as a friend is bringing her kids to visit in the summer. I was thinking about the Kensington museums as suggested up thread. I also thought we would do a day on the south bank starting with a photo opportunity at Big Ben/Houses of Parliament -> London Eye -> Wander past the street market, Tate modern, Globe Theater, Golden Hinde, Tower Bridge -> Tower of London (if time). Lots of opportunity to stop off for food or have a closer look at things if they want to. If the weather is nice you can just amble around watching the street entertainers and trying different foods from the market.
Maybe it's the difference between living there and visiting but during my first visit, I went in to watch Parliament. It was fascinating, and depending on the age of your friend's children (and the OP's), might be interesting, especially if they are learning about how their government works in school. As I recall, you can stay for a bit or leave any time you want, so perfect for kids.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Maybe it's the difference between living there and visiting but during my first visit, I went in to watch Parliament. It was fascinating, and depending on the age of your friend's children (and the OP's), might be interesting, especially if they are learning about how their government works in school. As I recall, you can stay for a bit or leave any time you want, so perfect for kids.
How did you arrange that? Thought you had to go through your MP for a visit?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
How did you arrange that? Thought you had to go through your MP for a visit?
Anyone can visit Parliament - they have a visitor centre and do tours - info on the Parliament website

Public Gallery is also open and except for busy times (PMQs for example) there should be seats in the gallery - no ticket needed.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Anyone can visit Parliament - they have a visitor centre and do tours - info on the Parliament website

Public Gallery is also open and except for busy times (PMQs for example) there should be seats in the gallery - no ticket needed.
They also have a special family tour, aimed at kids aged 7-12. I think it only runs during the UK school holidays.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
How difficult is it to get in? I was in the Public Gallery at Westminster in the 90's and for a Commonwealth resident actively involved in government and politics in his own country I found it a very moving experience to sit in the place where it all began. I would have anticipated with increased terrorism threats that it would be very difficult to get into the House of Commons.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Yep, that sounds right.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
How difficult is it to get in? I was in the Public Gallery at Westminster in the 90's and for a Commonwealth resident actively involved in government and politics in his own country I found it a very moving experience to sit in the place where it all began. I would have anticipated with increased terrorism threats that it would be very difficult to get into the House of Commons.
It was quite a while ago that I was there, so I can't comment on current state given the higher security. However, when I went, it was difficult to get into the House of Lords. I can't recall if it was impossible the day we visited or just a long wait. But there was no wait for the House of Commons. Perhaps not as interesting, but I still enjoyed it.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The main thing about visiting Parliament is that they don't like any sort of bags, so travel light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.