Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Torn between 2 London hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Torn between 2 London hotels

I'm taking my second trip to London this upcoming Summer and am trying to pick a hotel. Can anyone help?

There will be three adults in one room - which limits which hotels we can stay at and I'll be using IHG rewards to pay for the room - hence why the hotels we're narrowed down to are Holiday Inn brand.

The first one we're considering is Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. It's appealing because it's so close to the tube station and we could walk to St. Pancras (we are taking a day trip that we will have to meet at St. Pancras at 6:15 AM. Downside is there's no breakfast and the rating is a 4.0 (still good....)

The second we're considering is Holiday Inn Express Southwark. I've stayed at this one before and liked it. It's not in the heart of everything, but the tube station is a short walk away. It does include breakfast and is recently renovated and has a score of 4.5.

Can anyone share any insight or suggestions as to which one to pick? And why?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Can anyone share any insight or suggestions as to which one to pick? And why?
As neighbourhoods go, I prefer Southwark to Bloomsbury. With your trip from St. Pancras in mind, the Southwark is probably much more practical than you think. Rather than walking back to Southwark Underground station, you'd be far better off walking to Blackfriars train station and catching a train to St. Pancras (you can use contactless/Oysertcards and a ride is Ł2.4; similar to a zone 1 tube ride).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
As neighbourhoods go, I prefer Southwark to Bloomsbury. With your trip from St. Pancras in mind, the Southwark is probably much more practical than you think. Rather than walking back to Southwark Underground station, you'd be far better off walking to Blackfriars train station and catching a train to St. Pancras (you can use contactless/Oysertcards and a ride is Ł2.4; similar to a zone 1 tube ride).
Thank you for your help!

When I look at Google Maps it looks like there's a Blackfriars Station stop before going over the bridge, which means it would be only .2 miles from HIE Southwark. Is this correct or am I seeing things weird?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5085...7i13312!8i6656
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thank you for your help!

When I look at Google Maps it looks like there's a Blackfriars Station stop before going over the bridge, which means it would be only .2 miles from HIE Southwark. Is this correct or am I seeing things weird?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5085...7i13312!8i6656
hI,

There will be 2 entrances /exits to blackfriars station .

One that is seen above on the South side of the thames and one on the north side of the thames with the platforms on the bridge across the river so you may have a little walk from the station entrance to the train doors.

I like Southwark area and you can walk along the thames to the Tower bridge if you want.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
At that hour, I'd plan on getting to St Pancras via cab/uber/gett/mytaxi/minicab anyway. More expensive than thameslink from blackfriars but saves the faff of getting to the station from your hotel and you can go when you want instead of waiting for a train. And probably not that much more expensive than the train if there are three of you. Traffic should be negligible so probably around a 15 minute ride.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

All of this information is so helpful, thank you!
I read something (I can't remember where) that said Uber was going to be banned from London...? Really?

Another question: Is it an easy walk from HIE Southwark to St. Paul's Cathedral?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Not to make it more complicated, but....

Stayed at the Southwark HIE and it is adequate but not much more. Walkable but not all that pleasantly so to Borough Market, etc. The property formerly known as HI Bloomsbury Kings Cross now styled Crowne Plaza Kings Cross is worth consideration. This CP is an easy few blocks from the tube, about equidistant to Russell Square and Kings Cross on the Piccadilly line (= direct service from Heathrow) and is a nice property with great pool and spa. Stayed there using IHG points and thought it a good deal.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:54 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Another question: Is it an easy walk from HIE Southwark to St. Paul's Cathedral?
Yes, definitely - cross Blackfriars Bridge and turn right beside The Blackfriar pub on the corner (or stop for a drink!).

Alternatively, wind your way through to the Millennium Bridge and St Paul’s is directly across the river.

Time-wise they’re similar - about 15 minutes.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:32 am

Uber? Their licence has not been renewed but they continue to operate until the appeal is heard in the courts. The legal process won't complete until spring (at best) so there won't be any clarity on this for a while yet.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Uber? Their licence has not been renewed but they continue to operate until the appeal is heard in the courts. The legal process won't complete until spring (at best) so there won't be any clarity on this for a while yet.
There's a long thread on Uber's status in this Forum. Essentially, it's clear that they are in considerable legal difficulties but there's a fighting chance that there will be a political fudge to permit them to continue. However, no clarity at the moment.

I would anticipate that, should the ban stick, some other app will come along in no time and scoop up all the drivers.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Fabulous information! Thank you all for your help!
To the poster who suggested Crowne Plaza....we did consider that one in comparison to Holiday Inn Bloomsbury the HI won out which narrowed us down to HIE Southwark and HI Bloomsbury. After reading everything here in this thread we're thinking we'll go with Southwark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.