Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden city LHR immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hidden city LHR immigration?

I am thinking of buying a BA first class XXX-LHR-LAS (home) and return the following month LAS-LHR-XXX. I would like to turn the second pairing into a London trip. I understand about baggage. My question is, as an American, would there be hassles with UK immigration? I would have an additional ticket showing me leaving the UK.

Thank you!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I highly doubt you'd get a second look. I find as an American going through UK immigration they're rather friendly and helpful. Your ticket showing departure & hotel/airBNB reservation should work no problem.

Is the ticket price different or much higher doing XXX-LHR-LAS LAS-LHR instead?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
UK immigration will not care about your ticket arrangements in this case.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you are young and state that you are coming to visit your boy/girlfriend after finishing university (college) without any plans to find a job in the US, then you are likely to be denied entry. Otherwise, it should be relatively straightforward unless you are really unlucky to be asked lots of questions about your holiday and you respond with what appear to be evasive or untrue answers.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
You may find the airline asking questions as well. I had a friend that had been studying in the UK for a year after living 9 years in Japan, but he was originally from Australia. He was going back to Tokyo for a couple of weeks before going back to Australia for good. While trying to check in for the return flight, he was stopped by the airline as he didn't have with him the ticket showing he was leaving the country. It was in Tokyo (in the days before electronic ticketing). He had to buy a fully refundable ticket out of Japan that he cancelled as soon as he got there and had refunded.

Similarly I'm a dual UK/Australian passport holder and I once showed my Australian passport in Oz when leaving for the UK. The check in person started to panic as I didn't have either a visa to stay in the UK or a ticket leaving the country. Showed her my other passport and that was fine. Less of an issue these days as you can change passport info via the airline APIS.

So, just be prepared for the airline to ask along with possibly immigration for exit details.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To the extent that "home" also means US National, this is simply a matter of a USN visiting the UK. If that is the case, no visa and no likely linkage between ticket and immigration. Even if there are immigration concerns, they will not be about this ticket, but rather about whether OP has onward or return tickets and plans to leave the UK at the end of his visit.

Thus, whatever immigration issues the OP may or may not face are extremely unlikely to be associated with this hidden city ticketing arrangement.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As long as UKBA don't think this is some attempt to try and extend your tourist visa validity you should be OK.

But why be so coy about XXX? the XXX could be important to the answer.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
As long as UKBA don't think this is some attempt to try and extend your tourist visa validity you should be OK.

But why be so coy about XXX? the XXX could be important to the answer.
Or confirm his nationality,

I've come to believe that FT ought to ban "XXX" as a term !
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

XXX

thank you for the funny replies. The XXX was a place holder. BA had similar F sales out of PRG, BUD, and points in Sweden. I hadn’t bought the ticket when I posted this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.