Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Morning Flight From LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As it's a Tuesday, rather than a Saturday or Sunday, it really shouldn't be too bad at security at that time, off season. I've done this, with no Fast Track, about 3 times in the last six months and never experienced a problem, each time taking the train from Clapham Junction. Any earlier, however, and I'd be aiming for a taxi.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:18 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would personally stay near to East Croydon station - 15 minutes to LGW and trains more regularly than the stations further north. In many ways that’s much simpler than the airport hotels which involve shuttle rides.

There’s a Jury’s Inn adjacent to the station and a Holiday Inn Express about 10 minutes walk away - I’ve stayed at the latter several times and never paid more than Ł55 a night.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I would personally stay near to East Croydon station - 15 minutes to LGW and trains more regularly than the stations further north. In many ways that’s much simpler than the airport hotels which involve shuttle rides.

There’s a Jury’s Inn adjacent to the station and a Holiday Inn Express about 10 minutes walk away - I’ve stayed at the latter several times and never paid more than Ł55 a night.
Agree versus the off-site hotels, but only worth it if a fair bit cheaper than the on-site ones. That's often the case but not always, especially if you have access to a corporate/travel rates with Hilton.

The Hilton and Bloc are both on-site at South terminal (Hilton a couple mins walk through a covered walkway). Hampton is at North with free train shuttle to South every few mins that takes 2 mins. So if price is comparable to the East Croydon options, pick the on-site Gatwick ones.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sbgmiles
I just don't want my only full day there to be cut short. I also would like to try to see a show on Monday night.
I don't understand why you think your day is being cut short. Either you sleep 10.30pm-4.30am in a Ł150 central London hotel and go to Gatwick in the morning, or you go to Gatwick / East Croydon after the show and sleep from midnight-6am in a Ł50-Ł80 hotel. (If it's the Gatwick Hilton, breakfast starts at 5.20am.) Or pay that Ł150 but only sleep for 3 hours, if you want to stay out even later.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all of the information. I just spent 24 hours at various US airports because of all of the weather delays, and leave tomorrow for London. I flying in from Los Angeles, so I am not sure how I will be feeling. I booked a room for the first night at the Strand Palace. I can add a late check out for Ł30-Ł50 or another night for Ł100. I am diamond with Hilton, so I may just stay the second night at LGW or the Conrad? I am flying out of LGW on Monday morning, not Tuesday as I had said earlier. I am not that familiar with the Underground and don't know Blackfriars, but I will look into it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:46 pm

I live in SW London and if I have an early flight from Gatwick I stay at the Hilton. It's way better to be able to fall out of bed and head straight for security than have to get up at the crack of dawn. If you go out in the evening there will be a train down to Gatwick and it won't be busy.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Only consider staying at the Hilton, Bloc or Hampton (North terminal) though - no point faffing with the off-site hotels.
Not sure I get the logic of only considering those 3, and not the Sofitel, Premier Inn (both North terminal), or even Yotel (though not my cup of tea).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Not sure I get the logic of only considering those 3, and not the Sofitel, Premier Inn (both North terminal), or even Yotel (though not my cup of tea).
Ha, the logic being that I'd completely forgotten the other three existed!

I generally only stay at the Hilton, but you can't miss the Bloc and the Hampton is right by easyJet check-in. The other three = out of sight, out of mind.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Ha, the logic being that I'd completely forgotten the other three existed!

I generally only stay at the Hilton, but you can't miss the Bloc and the Hampton is right by easyJet check-in. The other three = out of sight, out of mind.
Ha!

For anyone else reading this, do be careful which Premier Inn you book if you do, there’s more than one described as ‘Gatwick’. The one you want is the one directly opposite the North Terminal, next to the Sofitel - both being right next to the transit and kind hard to miss ;-p
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Ha!

For anyone else reading this, do be careful which Premier Inn you book if you do, there’s more than one described as ‘Gatwick’. The one you want is the one directly opposite the North Terminal, next to the Sofitel - both being right next to the transit and kind hard to miss ;-p
Yep. Confusingly enough, they've both got "Gatwick Airport" in the name. The one directly opposite the North Terminal is something like "Gatwick Airport (North Terminal)." The other one is "Gatwick Airport (A23 Airport Way)." I've stayed at the North Terminal one for a morning flight and it got the job done, even though I had to take the inter-terminal monorail to the South Terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.