Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Nottingham 17:00- LHR 14:30 next day, where to sleep?

Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

I can be at the Nottingham rail station at 17:00 Friday and my flight out is 14:30 from Heathrow.

Obviously one answer is "somewhere close to KX Station" because the train comes to St Pancras and the Piccadilly line takes you to LHR . But really, is there nothing better than this?? I am quite surprised the fastest way is to get into the heart of London...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you do not have much luggage then anywhere in central london is a possibility.

On your leaving day you could either get the Picadilly tube to Heathrow or taxi/tube to Paddington to get the Heathrow Express.

There are no direct trains from Nottingham to Heathrow ( You could get a train from Nottingham to Reading and get a Rail air link bus to Heathrow.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

You could alternatively get the National Express coach direct from Nottingham to Heathrow. Scheduled journey time approx 3h25, although not necessarily a journey you'd want to make on a Friday evening.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:20 pm

Via Central London is by far the easiest way from Nottingham to LHR. The bus is less comfy , even being diplomatic , and Nottingham to Reading will require a change at Birmingham New St and onto a bus at Reading. The Nottingham to St Pancras train is reasonably fast . comfortable and usually reliable. There are two Premier Inns on Euston Rd a few mins walk from St Pancras , which are quiet , decent and and very convenient for Tube stations to LHR in the morning , (provided you are not too loaded with luggage )

Euston Rd isn’t far from tourist central for pubs and restaurants , if you want a real British boozer , basic but excellent beer , there’s one two mins from Euston and some OK Indian restaurants nearby. Bloomsbury , just behind the Premier Inns , has some nice old pubs , places to eat by the Brunswick Centre and is a pleasant place for a wander with nice architecture and garden squares.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I did research on Nottingham to Reading -- it can be done by a train change in Derby but there's no win since just Derby-Reading alone takes longer a bit than Nottingham-London and the rail air bus from Reading to Heathrow is not particularly faster (52 minutes but it's a bus) than the tube from KX to LHR (60 minutes and almost always is 60 minutes).

I guess this won't change until WRAtH (seriously? someone codenamed a tunnel wrath?) is built which is ridiculously far into the future.

What's the catch in http://www.blackberrycars.com/kings-...throw-airport/ this? 30 pounds sounds like a steal.

Last edited by chx1975; Dec 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
Thanks everyone.
What's the catch in Taxi Kings Cross to/from Heathrow Airport from only 30 this? 30 pounds sounds like a steal.
The catch is traffic which means it's not really saving you any time. I sometimes take a cab early morning, but even then it's not exactly an enjoyable drive.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You could alternatively get the National Express coach direct from Nottingham to Heathrow. Scheduled journey time approx 3h25, although not necessarily a journey you'd want to make on a Friday evening.
That's the option I'd certainly choose especially with luggage.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Or spend Friday night in Nottingham and catch an early train to KX.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The catch is traffic which means it's not really saving you any time. I sometimes take a cab early morning, but even then it's not exactly an enjoyable drive.
Well, it's more about comfort than time, I guess: you don't need to get to the station, the platform, make sure your luggage has space especially if you try to sit down.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by chx1975

I guess this won't change until WRAtH (seriously? someone codenamed a tunnel wrath?) is built which is ridiculously far into the future.
That's a good one, but not quite as good as the 2 week period the Met police had Fast Armed Response Transits...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.