Reload this Page >

LHR mobility assistance provider leaves BBC's Frank Gardner stranded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I've been asked to post this by another FTer.

Frank Gardner, the BBC News' Security correspondent was left stranded on a Tunisair service at Heathrow when LHR's mobility contractor Omniserv were late to meet the flight inbound to T4. Mr Gardner uses a wheelchair but seems to be a frequent flyer. LHR apologised unreservedly for the failure. Over in the BA forum there are occasional reports of poor service from Omniserv, though also a few good reports too.

Disabled reporter Frank Gardner stuck on Heathrow plane | Daily Mail Online

He had a similar problem in January, this time in LGW (which uses OCS)
BBC's Frank Gardner criticises airline over disability access - BBC News

The core problem seems to be some communication failures, though on face value there doesn't seem much that a passenger can do to minimise the risk of this, particularly when inbound to LHR.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe someone might notice this, and do something.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:03 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'd venture that "communication failures" is cutting the guilty parties a bit more slack than they deserve. If this was a one-off incident then this excuse would probably wash, but it's a thing that seems to be happening regularly and is therefore more likely to be a systematic issue.

I would say that HAL in particular does need to be picked up on this - it's poor that disabled passengers receive such persistently poor service despite HAL charging some of the highest passenger service charges anywhere. It's hard to escape the conclusion that despite charging what it does, they're not interested in funding the assistance service sufficiently that it is able to operate effectively.

Which leads me on to enforcing improvement. This clearly isn't going to happen through action on the part of the CAA, which proves time and again that it's incapable of working in the interests of passengers and is only there to safeguard the interests of airlines. Somebody else needs to step in. The disabled aren't an inconvenience or a burden despite what society has told them in the past, and in many ways still believes.
farci and aidy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.