Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yup, "No HS1" means it's not valid to St Pancras. However, it's a common enough mistake, and there is a supplement you can buy to make up the fare.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I initially asked the clerk if he could add on underground to my ticket and he said it's 7 pounds extra + 31 pounds for the hi speed but if you have contactless use that instead separately.
the ticjet said “London terminals” and also said “no HS1” or something similar.

Strange that you had the conversation about St Pancras and the Ł31 ticket and yet ended up with the wrong one. Evidently some sort of miscommunication - I'm thinking maybe he was saying it's ~Ł7 extra for the High Speed rather than Underground, which you then declined. You can indeed get a Travelcard for about Ł8 more (at 2018 prices, not sure what exactly it was in 2017), so it could of course have been that, but then it's odd that he then sold you the non-HS1 ticket.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jan 4, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Strange that you had the conversation about St Pancras and the Ł31 ticket and yet ended up with the wrong one. Evidently some sort of miscommunication - I'm thinking maybe he was saying it's ~Ł7 extra for the High Speed rather than Underground, which you then declined. You can indeed get a Travelcard for about Ł8 more (at 2018 prices, not sure what exactly it was in 2017), so it could of course have been that, but then it's odd that he then sold you the non-HS1 ticket.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.
exactly all well that ends well but considering no non high speed trains to to st pancras I don't know why he sold me that ticket when I clearly told him where I wanted to go. What station should that "london terminals" ticket have take me too-- Charing Cross?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:41 am

To define "London Terminals" for rail tickets is worthy of a doctoral thesis. It depends....
In your specific case, your ticket was valid to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo, Charring Cross, Blackfriars, Victoria.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
To define "London Terminals" for rail tickets is worthy of a doctoral thesis. It depends....
In your specific case, your ticket was valid to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo, Charring Cross, Blackfriars, Victoria.

The synopsis is: any of the terminal stations plus major intermediate ones that you can reasonably get to without passing through Farringdon, plus a whole bunch of quirky exceptions*.

But from Ashford, you would have been able to get the Victoria or Charing X trains (plus occasional Cannon St and Blackfriars ones) and would have been able to go to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East, Blackfriars and City Thameslink quite freely (as well as all intermediate stations).

I'm surprised (and pleased for you) that the barriers at St Pancras let you through, though. They normally reject half the valid tickets, let alone the invalid ones!

*My favourite being that train tickets to London on Great Northern services are valid on the Tube to Moorgate. You can also get off at Old Street, but not at any other intermediate station. This is why the ticket barriers at King's Cross give back all tickets where most others retain them.

Last edited by stut; Jan 5, 2018 at 2:13 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
I'm surprised (and pleased for you) that the barriers at St Pancras let you through, though. They normally reject half the valid tickets, let alone the invalid ones!
Oh I would have gone completely mad if the turnstile didn't let me exit. I would have to find a way out all because the idiot back at Ashford screwed up and sold me the wrong ticket.

Oh I noticed that to get to Kings Cross I simply walk off the escalator and cross the street to the Picadilly line. For some god forsaken unknown reason, before I would walk all the way down to long corridor of St Pancras to get to King Cross tube. It was a solid 10 walk and let me tell you when I walk i'm cruising at about 8 kts LOL I don't know what I was thinking (or smoking).

I'm back in May. I'll get it right this time.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
For some god forsaken unknown reason, before I would walk all the way down to long corridor of St Pancras to get to King Cross tube
St.Pancras/King's Cross underground station is my least favourite station. It's crucial to get the correct entry/exit and avoid lengthy walks.

I generally use the exit/entry on the Southeastern corner of St. Pancras on the corner of Pancras Rd. and Euston Rd. From that ticket hall (the central ticket hall in the middle of the map below) you can reach all lines fairly quickly.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is the erroneous ticket in question lol
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:16 am

Actually.... The ticket agent did not sell you the wrong ticket. He /she saved you money. Because of engineering closure at London Bridge there was a special ticket acceptance regime in operation on your travel date. For the three working days between Christmas and new year, the list priced "not valid on HS1" tickets are actually valid on HS1.
https://www.southeasternrailway.co.u...idge.pdf?la=en
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Actually.... The ticket agent did not sell you the wrong ticket. He /she saved you money. Because of engineering closure at London Bridge there was a special ticket acceptance regime in operation on your travel date. For the three working days between Christmas and new year, the list priced "not valid on HS1" tickets are actually valid on HS1.
Thanks for this, rcspiers. Always good to get the answer to the puzzle.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:07 pm

My experience of Southeastern is that they're either excellent or abysmal. Glad to hear it was the former in this case!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The wealth of knowledge on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well it’s been three weeks and my Ipay charges from using the tube multiple times still haven’t shown up on my MC lol
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by WorldLux
St.Pancras/King's Cross underground station is my least favourite station. It's crucial to get the correct entry/exit and avoid lengthy walks.

I generally use the exit/entry on the Southeastern corner of St. Pancras on the corner of Pancras Rd. and Euston Rd. From that ticket hall (the central ticket hall in the middle of the map below) you can reach all lines fairly quickly.

Where did you get this map from? It's great!! I've interchanged there for years but one day I got off the Victoria or Picadilly line and went via the signage on the "new development" to the Northern line. Oh my Zeus! It was soooooo long to go that way!!! Its ridiculous to make people walk that just for the sake of getting some off the platform quicker. Piccadilly to Northern via the right passageway is less than a minute, Going the new route feels like 10 minutes - at least when there's a crowd in front!!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
Where did you get this map from?
Google. I remember seeing a similar (but much more simplified) map of that station with the general advice being "Follow the sign "Hammersmith&City Line" for relatively quick and easy access to all lines from street-level.

King's Cross/St.Pancras and Bank/Monument must be annoying to less regular users. Crossrail won't be making things easier. Trains will be quite a bit longer than tube trains making walking distances greater if you are at the 'wrong' end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.