Is Kleptomania a UK problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Kleptomania a UK problem?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by enviroian
You mean there are pumps in the UK that dispense gasoline without paying for it first? I don't think we had pumps like that in the US since the 1970's.

The aforementioned Tesco uses cards at the pump and no need to go inside to pay.
Yep you can fill your tank and then go in and pay for it. It's not unheard of for people to drive off and not pay which is why most places have cameras everywhere looking at faces and number plates. I was in a BP/Marks And Spencer petrol station a while back buying dinner for myself and someone else. I remember thinking this wouldn't have been possible until recently. Of course you could normally have bought something to eat but it wouldn't have been the same. I doubt many petrol stations sold a Beetroot and Lemon Ravioli followed by a Skinny Chocolate Frappe desert. .

Last edited by Jimmie76; Dec 9, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by stut
I don't think it's the delivery that's difficult (give enough of an incentive and people will queue round the block to use it - witness my local Asda and its cheap fuel) but rather the lure of the perennially eclectic stock of the petrol station shop. Why simply fill up with your card, when you can pick up a pint of milk, a bottle of fizzy water, an e-cigarette refill, a Ginsters pasty*, some screen wash, a bag of charcoal briquettes, a can of deicing fluid and, on special offer this week, a 12V hand warmer? Oh, and a tin of those boiled sweets dusted in icing sugar.

* Been spending most our lives living in a Ginsters paradise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glB6ZJfrEzs
I'll see your Ginsters Paradise and raise you an Amish Paradise

Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stut
I don't think it's the delivery that's difficult (give enough of an incentive and people will queue round the block to use it - witness my local Asda and its cheap fuel) but rather the lure of the perennially eclectic stock of the petrol station shop. Why simply fill up with your card, when you can pick up a pint of milk, a bottle of fizzy water, an e-cigarette refill, a Ginsters pasty*, some screen wash, a bag of charcoal briquettes, a can of deicing fluid and, on special offer this week, a 12V hand warmer? Oh, and a tin of those boiled sweets dusted in icing sugar.
Don't forget the cut flowers....a lifesaver when you arrive home six hours late from a fishing trip and the wife is waiting with the rolling pin.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You mean there are pumps in the UK that dispense gasoline without paying for it first? I don't think we had pumps like that in the US since the 1970's.
I have been filling up my cars in the US for years, and filling up first and paying later has also been going on in the US in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s. The US practices in this regard have varied for a long time, but that was true also in the 1970s.

While automated, bank card-using pumps are great in their own ways, in some places outside of the US they may be a pain when the traveler’s bank cards don’t get accepted and the station has ditched staffed/cash payment options.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:32 am

Our petrol stations have squeegees...and paper towels...and often a choice between pay at the pump or pay inside...but you certainly can pump-then-pay...except for the middle of the night IME... They do of course have excellent surveillance cameras. I received a call years ago asking for my housemate....it was the police. They were investigating a petrol theft from a local outlet. I was flabbergasted and said so...given he was a fairly senior Air Force officer...and a totally honest guy.. I asked them if they were SURE it was him. Turns out someone got confused looking at the camera footage... lol What impressed me was just how quickly that all happened. It seems our local police take the offence quite seriously.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:31 am

What is wrong with stealing? Theft are undocumented sales.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Analise
What is wrong with stealing? Theft are undocumented sales.
Undocumented sales involve an exchange of a good or service for money/valuables of a sort that the seller considers acceptable value for the goods/services wanted by the recipient/beneficiary of the goods/services sold. Sellers don’t consider their undocumented sales to be theft, but the government may consider such actions by sellers to be fraud (and or theft) by sellers of goods/services.

Until something is sold, there is neither a documented sale nor an undocumented sale. In other words, undocumented sales aren’t theft from the retailer/seller unless and until it involves embezzlement or fraud of sorts.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2017 at 12:16 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
Our petrol stations have squeegees...and paper towels...and often a choice between pay at the pump or pay inside...but you certainly can pump-then-pay...except for the middle of the night IME... They do of course have excellent surveillance cameras. I received a call years ago asking for my housemate....it was the police. They were investigating a petrol theft from a local outlet. I was flabbergasted and said so...given he was a fairly senior Air Force officer...and a totally honest guy.. I asked them if they were SURE it was him. Turns out someone got confused looking at the camera footage... lol What impressed me was just how quickly that all happened. It seems our local police take the offence quite seriously.
If you're a serious petrol thief you put on a set of stolen plates before you go and fill-up. The squeegees are usually so gritty and oily they're not worth using let alone stealing.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Many petrol stations have a car wash attached, so there is a financial incentive to have offer items to clean your car for free.

With large regional variations, I don't believe the actual crime figures bare out that the UK is a kleptomania, certainly 5x less likely to be murdered here.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Well my question still nags as today I went to Sainsbury's in Canterbury and one must deposit a pound coin to get your cart and refund it when it's returned. Is shopping cart theft a big problem in England? I can understand southside of Detroit, but Canterbury? To make matters worse they were all stuck together and could not be lodged apart. I tried to find someone to help but my efforts were futile. I waited among a group of others to get it sorted out. You think on England's biggest food shopping day they would take preventative measures to make sure their carts were all functional and not stuck together.

Half ...!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well my question still nags as today I went to Sainsbury's in Canterbury and one must deposit a pound coin to get your cart and refund it when it's returned. Is shopping cart theft a big problem in England? I can understand southside of Detroit, but Canterbury? To make matters worse they were all stuck together and could not be lodged apart. I tried to find someone to help but my efforts were futile. I waited among a group of others to get it sorted out. You think on England's biggest food shopping day they would take preventative measures to make sure their carts were all functional and not stuck together.

Half ...!
You are not ready Grasshopper!

This doesn't happen at Waitrose.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
This doesn't happen at Waitrose.
No, at Waitrose the shoppers all bring their own carts, made by Land Rover and pushed by their nannies or gardeners. ;-)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:37 pm

Half ...!
It's more do with forcing the customer to return the trolley to a designated collection point rather than have them scattered about with the risk of them blowing in the wind and damaging cars. If you really wanted a shopping trolley Ł1 seems a bargain price to me.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:38 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's not really theft that's the problem where you see the pound coin slots - a trolley is worth a good deal more than a pound - but more that it's a good way to keep staffing costs down in a location where they can have few trolley parks.

Where theft is a problem, you will see magnetically triggered brakes on the wheels. Locations for this may surprise you, but the proximity of university students (like in Canterbury) is often a factor...
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
A metal supermarket shopping trolley (if rotated 90 degrees so the handle rests on the ground) is quite an effective barbecue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.