Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Best way to Ireland from US? Chase/UA points and J class?

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Hello all, I may be behind the ball but I'm starting to think about a trip to Ireland with my wife next year. We prefer to avoid the peak tourist season, thinking May preferably or Sept. We have just over 280k UR points together, and I have about 78k UA points. We've never flown international. Would like to relax and experience J class for the first time. Based out of DEN.

I figure ideally the trip would center around Ireland for about 7 days or so. Wouldn't mind an open jaw arrival to DUB for a few nights, then drive the South and East for 3-4 days then return via SNN. I wouldn't even mind a short 1-2 day stopover somewhere nice on the way out if it's not too complicated.

How would you get there? We don't want to take the trip to fly as priority #1 , but if we're going to do it, we might as well try to find a decent product to fly J on if possible and enjoy the experience being first-timers.

Aer Lingus seems to be one of the easier solutions, but not sure the J class experience and shortish haul from Boston are the best way to spend my points. Their early departures and arrivals are a little bit of a turn off too. United doesn't seem to show much availability for their awards, especially for May. Am I too late, or too early? Any other better ideas?

I'm not too savvy with search and booking as I've never done it, but have done a bit of reading around to get somewhat familiar so far. Thanks for any help or info!

Mike
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You would have to check availability but, in general, it's better to do the long flight TATL and have just a very short flight rather than do two middling length flights. This is principally because it allows more time for sleep (especially eastbound) but also because both the service and the seating are much better on the TATL.

For *A this would suggest DEN-FRA-DUB and for OW DEN-LHR-DUB. Can't speak to ST. But ultimately you will be led by availability.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll keep digging for info.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You would have to check availability but, in general, it's better to do the long flight TATL and have just a very short flight rather than do two middling length flights. This is principally because it allows more time for sleep (especially eastbound) but also because both the service and the seating are much better on the TATL.

For *A this would suggest DEN-FRA-DUB and for OW DEN-LHR-DUB. Can't speak to ST. But ultimately you will be led by availability.
With UA miles, why not DEN-LAX-DUB on UA and EI or ET? Or DEN-SFO-DUB on UA and EI?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: MUCCI
If the balance you have is United Airlines, can I suggest their dedicated forum section on FT - as people there will know about their programme rules and practicalities, and their partner airlines, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
With UA miles, why not DEN-LAX-DUB on UA and EI or ET? Or DEN-SFO-DUB on UA and EI?
These would work fine if it's a permitted routing (going so far out of the way), but because a partner airline is involved for the main part of the trip, UA will charge more miles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Chase UR options>Europe

See this thread for ideas: UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]
madmike283 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by guv1976
Because LH's J is better that EI's J?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Because LH's J is better that EI's J?
Is it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.