Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from T5 to T3 at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Getting from T5 to T3 at LHR

Hello

In November I need to get from T5 to T3 Landside. What would the quickest way to do it?

Thank you.

Tim
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Take the Heathrow Express train free of charge between the terminals.

Alternatively, if you have an oyster card or contactless payment card, use the underground and you won't be charged.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
Take the Heathrow Express train free of charge between the terminals.

Alternatively, if you have an oyster card or contactless payment card, use the underground and you won't be charged.
Thank you. Do you know which is faster?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by xnetco
Is the a reason why you don't want/can't transfer airside? Given the short distance, both trains should be equally fast. It all depends on when you arrive and if there's a train ready to depart.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:24 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by xnetco
It's a wash really overall. The journey time is near identical. The Heathrow Express is less frequent (every 15 minutes compared to 10 for the Tube), although the walk from T5 to train platform and train platform to T3 is shorter than the corresponding distances to and from the Tube stations.

If there's a train due for the Express I'd take that - as it's less hassle getting to the platform and on the train if you have decent amounts of luggage, and there's more dedicated storage on the Express.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Heathrow Express - about every 15 minutes
London Underground - about every 10 minutes

Walking time - slightly shorter to HEX from T3 arrivals than to Underground station. At T5, train come in on parallel platforms so about same distance in lift to Departures.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I am traveling tomorrow and need to connect from T5 to T3. I see the two options above. I also see on the LHR website there is a bus.

Which is easiest? I don't have any local transit passes or anything like that. The Heathrow Express seems to be a paying train - I don't see where the free option is between T5 and T3 (or is the fare collected after T3 so I just get on at T5 and get off at T3)?

Minimal carry on, so baggage isn't an issue.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The HEX is free as are the tube and the bus for intra terminal trips.

With the tube you need to tap in and tap out using a contactless debit or credit card but you will not actually be charged once TFL does it's overnight sweep of transactions. With the bus you just state your destination to the driver.

With the Hex there is a ticket machine at the platform level that will issue you a free ticket to be able to get through the ticket gates at both ends.

These ticket machines are new and part of the plan to allow the use of contactless on the HEX trip to Paddington.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:09 am

Thanks. What's your recommendation as the easiest?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks. What's your recommendation as the easiest?
Airside bus. It avoids entering the UK.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:29 pm

If transferring 'landside' the tube runs slightly more frequently than Heathrow Express, but you need a contactless bank card or phone pay to get a free transfer.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:44 pm

Airside bus it is - seems quicker than entering UK as a US citizen and waiting at immigration. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
unless you need to collect luggage there is no benefit to use any of the landside options over the free airside bus.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Sapphire/One World Silver
Hello everyone, first time posting here. Hope it’s okay to tag onto this thread with a related question.

We will arrive T3 from PMO at 22:50 (this is at the end of a two week driving in Italy vacation and plus I am just not a night person ��). We will need to transfer over to T5 where we plan to spend 2 nights at the Sofitel before our final flight home to the U.S. ultimately departs out of T5.

Should we go through immigration/passport control there at T3 (and presumably have to take the express train over to T5) or should we stay airside and take the flight connections shuttle bus to T5 and go through UK Arrivals passport control there? Can we even stay airside without an outbound boarding pass?

We have carry-on hand baggage only.

Our U.S. Passports won’t allow us to use the eGates (although glad to hear eGates rules supposedly changing on June 1st) so we will have to use the “”All Other Nationalities” lane at passport control— not sure what that will be like at T3 or T5 that late at night, but I know I will be exhausted.

I tried using the Heathrow app/website for planning Flight Connections but it doesn’t work with different departure and arrival dates. (I could maybe fake it with different flight numbers though.) But mainly I see this as a choice of where to go through passport control that late at night, plus convenience issue re: airside shuttle bus or landslide express train.

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 4, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Little Washita
Hello everyone, first time posting here. Hope it’s okay to tag onto this thread with a related question.

We will arrive T3 from PMO at 22:50 (this is at the end of a two week driving in Italy vacation and plus I am just not a night person ��). We will need to transfer over to T5 where we plan to spend 2 nights at the Sofitel before our final flight home to the U.S. ultimately departs out of T5.

Should we go through immigration/passport control there at T3 (and presumably have to take the express train over to T5) or should we stay airside and take the flight connections shuttle bus to T5 and go through UK Arrivals passport control there? Can we even stay airside without an outbound boarding pass?

We have carry-on hand baggage only.

Our U.S. Passports won’t allow us to use the eGates (although glad to hear eGates rules supposedly changing on June 1st) so we will have to use the “”All Other Nationalities” lane at passport control— not sure what that will be like at T3 or T5 that late at night, but I know I will be exhausted.

I tried using the Heathrow app/website for planning Flight Connections but it doesn’t work with different departure and arrival dates. (I could maybe fake it with different flight numbers though.) But mainly I see this as a choice of where to go through passport control that late at night, plus convenience issue re: airside shuttle bus or landslide express train.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi Little Washita,

I suspect at 2250 there will be no airside buses to T5 as there will be no flights at this time from T5 so you will need to go landside at T3 and take the landside express train.

Regards
TBS
Little Washita likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.