Wiki Posts
Search

Customs & Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by poisson
Toiletries were in my larger bag. Toothpaste was a fairly standard US size tube, but too big for carry-on. About half of it was used up, however.

I still have no idea why toothpaste is considered a liquid. It's more solid than liquid.
Toiletries are supposed to be out of your large bag. This is fairly standard everywhere now. Perhaps you are used to TSA Pre where you can leave them in your bag? I am not surprised your bags were pulled for secondary screening if you didn't follow the rules. Also yes it is 100ml max per item. In terms of liquids it is anything which is a liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste. Again this is standard across Europe.

I am afraid if you had gone through FRA or CDG you would have encountered the same issue.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by KARFA
Toiletries are supposed to be out of your large bag. This is fairly standard everywhere now. Perhaps you are used to TSA Pre where you can leave them in your bag? I am not surprised your bags were pulled for secondary screening if you didn't follow the rules. Also yes it is 100ml max per item. In terms of liquids it is anything which is a liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste. Again this is standard across Europe.

I am afraid if you had gone through FRA or CDG you would have encountered the same issue.
While this is correct, I do find LHR T5 far worse than most (and I'm including other UK airports in this) in their "send it down the other conveyor, make them wait 20 minutes while it sits there then pore over the bag very slowly because security" stakes.

Yes, I know it's all justifiable if you want it to be in terms of security, but everywhere else goes "sir, do you have liquids in your bag" and just gets you to take them out. They even rescan them for you (if they're in-size) and usually explain the rules sympathetically if they're not.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by stut
While this is correct, I do find LHR T5 far worse than most (and I'm including other UK airports in this) in their "send it down the other conveyor, make them wait 20 minutes while it sits there then pore over the bag very slowly because security" stakes.

Yes, I know it's all justifiable if you want it to be in terms of security, but everywhere else goes "sir, do you have liquids in your bag" and just gets you to take them out. They even rescan them for you (if they're in-size) and usually explain the rules sympathetically if they're not.
It's odd that this is not my experience. On the odd occasion I have had secondary searching I have never had to wait 20 minutes. They can get the scan up of your bag to see what the issue is. Of course the easy way to avoid the problem is to follow the very widely signed rules which have been in force many years.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Of course the easy way to avoid the problem is to follow the very widely signed rules which have been in force many years.
The rules regarding liquids are pretty straightforward. So are the rules for notebooks and large tablets. They are IMO however somewhat unclear with regard to other electronics. I've had security screener seemingly making up different rules. In 8 out of 10 cases, my DSLR, additional lenses and cables don't cause a fuss when I travel with them. In the other cases I get pulled out for secondary checks or, if they see the camera before the scan, get scolded for not taking them out. After being pulled over in AMS and being scolded for not taking the camera out, I asked one screener at FRA if I had to take it out. Answer: "no". Moments later another screener scolded me for not taking it out. Same goes for cables: Sometimes out. Sometimes not. I'd appreciate a little consistency...
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The rules regarding liquids are pretty straightforward. So are the rules for notebooks and large tablets. They are IMO however somewhat unclear with regard to other electronics. I've had security screener seemingly making up different rules. In 8 out of 10 cases, my DSLR, additional lenses and cables don't cause a fuss when I travel with them. In the other cases I get pulled out for secondary checks or, if they see the camera before the scan, get scolded for not taking them out. After being pulled over in AMS and being scolded for not taking the camera out, I asked one screener at FRA if I had to take it out. Answer: "no". Moments later another screener scolded me for not taking it out. Same goes for cables: Sometimes out. Sometimes not. I'd appreciate a little consistency...
In my view, you’re better off creating your own consistency as far as you possibly can. What looks like a multitude of wires wrapped around a solid object on the 2D scan is bound to be suspicious - and these days most of us travel with many charger leads, mains cords and adapters. The answer is to be proactive and put all the leads in a bag, placing that separately in a tray and not in the same one as your main carry-on. Even if you get pulled for secondary, including at LHR, the check should be on a single bag, not your entire luggage.

You can’t plan for every foible - in ATH, for example, they always want me to take the lens off my DSLR so they can look through the glass, and there aren’t many ways round that - but you can certainly make your passage through much easier.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I have a DSLR and usually take at least one extra lens. The only consistent place seems to be China when they always have to be removed. LHR rarely asks me to take it out.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

The answer is to be proactive and put all the leads in a bag, placing that separately in a tray and not in the same one as your main carry-on. Even if you get pulled for secondary, including at LHR, the check should be on a single bag, not your entire luggage.
Earlier this year my bag was pulled at AMS. The agent went straight to the little tumi case I use for my cables and chargers. The issue was I had also thrown all my loose change in there too and that is what caused my bag to be selected. Lesson learned - and I no longer put my change in that case!

I also get ready for security before joining the queue so my phone, wallet, watch etc always go in my bag. I take out my ipad and liquids bag. When I'm near the front of the queue my belt comes off so when I get to the tray I'm ready to put my stuff in the tray(s).Far too often I see supposedly regular flyers leaving it all to the last second before doing anything to get ready and they are the ones in the main who complain about security being slow!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:55 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I just take everything that could confuse the person looking at the x-ray out. I also try to put them in separate trays. That way, I can repack most of my stuff if only one item is sent for manual checking, and when that is done I can chuck it in my bag while walking away.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:32 am

It never ceases to amaze me how people walk past racks of plastic bags, then big signs telling them to remove toiletries and ignore the lot.

Then complain when they are pulled for secondary screening and delayed, usually with comments that suggest they are above it all.

I doubt security at UK airports are really interested in what the TSA does or doesn't do. Particularly as their record is pretty pathetic in this area.

The TSA Continues To Miss 95% Of Weapons - HOW IS THIS OKAY?!? - One Mile at a Time
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut

This is pretty much the same experience I had. One out of every 3 bags was being pulled to the side for inspection. I waited almost 20min for the inspection.

And yep, it was my fault for leaving them in the bag. I guess I was exhausted from the long flight, plus having to walk a mile for the transfer at LHR.

Most other airports remind passengers to remove any liquids and laptops. I don’t recall getting any verbal reminder. And the signs are easy to miss because they are often placed near the entrance of security. If there is no line, you’ll walk right past it. They really need to rework their secondary screening procedure if they're going to pull 1 out of 3 bags.

Last edited by poisson; Jan 1, 2018 at 6:15 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:59 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by poisson
Most other airports remind passengers to remove any liquids and laptops. I don’t recall getting any verbal reminder.
I am quite sure that every time I go through UK airport security someone is shouting at me to remove liquids (and laptops and tablets). Even if I'm the only person going through at the time, and they can see that I've already taken out a laptop and some liquids.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by :D!
I am quite sure that every time I go through UK airport security someone is shouting at me to remove liquids (and laptops and tablets). Even if I'm the only person going through at the time, and they can see that I've already taken out a laptop and some liquids.
Indeed. If anything there are too many reminders (countless signs before entering security, then next to the line, then from the staff).
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Which then turns into people filtering them out because of hearing the same thing over and over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.