Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs & Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by cubbie
Can I ask a UK customs question here too? I'm flying ORD to LHR. I'd like to bring some gin or other liquor in checked baggage as a gift for a friend. (Yes, I know taking gin to the UK is akin to taking coals to Newcastle.) What is the duty-free volume limit? Thanks for the help.
1 litre: https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks very much.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cubbie
Can I ask a UK customs question here too? I'm flying ORD to LHR. I'd like to bring some gin or other liquor in checked baggage as a gift for a friend. (Yes, I know taking gin to the UK is akin to taking coals to Newcastle.) What is the duty-free volume limit? Thanks for the help.
Well I have had some very good US made gins and most gin lovers would appreciate something different.

But you can bring in a litre of alcohol over 22% proof*

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
On the matter of proof, degrees proof (US) are double the % alcohol volume/volume, so the cutoff for it changing from 2 litres to 1 litre is 44° proof.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

This was actually my first connecting flight at LHR. What a freaking disaster! All of my belongings got searched piece by piece, yet I had no problems with the same items at ORD, MSQ, and IEV. Next time I'll make sure I have a connecting flight at CDG or FRA.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by poisson
This was actually my first connecting flight at LHR. What a freaking disaster! All of my belongings got searched piece by piece, yet I had no problems with the same items at ORD, MSQ, and IEV. Next time I'll make sure I have a connecting flight at CDG or FRA.
Any particular reason given? Just for comparison I have been through LHR security (mostly T5 but a few times at T3) probably over 100 times this year and have have secondary searches less than half a dozen times.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It happens at different airports for different reasons

On a recent flight I had a tin of corned beef in my hand luggage. No problem at LHR, straight through the scanner and bags to me at the other end.

Different story at FRA. They had no idea what this was. 4 of them huffed and puffed over it for 5 minutes. Eventually I was told I could take it this time but in the future to put it in the hold. S now I try and transit through MUC as I know I do not have to redo security
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FRA has its odd little laptop-swabbing obsession, too.

I'm led to believe they may also search your luggage for illicit meat products, but this is a wurst case scenario.
ajGoes, WorldLux, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by stut
I'm led to believe they may also search your luggage for illicit meat products, but this is a wurst case scenario.
My word! We are on meat puns now, how offal
ajGoes and farci like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

Any particular reason given? Just for comparison I have been through LHR security (mostly T5 but a few times at T3) probably over 100 times this year and have have secondary searches less than half a dozen times.
I was carrying two bags. A small personal item with my camera equipment and electronics. And another bag with my clothes.

The small bag was inspected because they said they couldn't see things clearly. Like I said, no other airport had issues.

The larger bag with clothing they were concerned about my toiletries. They pulled out every piece from my travel toiletries bag to make sure all liquids were within spec. My toothpaste got trashed because apparently it was too big, although TSA had no problems with it. They were also being weird about my contact lenses.

It's a real hassle having to go through security just for a connecting flight. For that reason I'll try to get all of my connecting flights through a non-UK airport in the future.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
... although TSA had no problems with it.
I wouldn't use the TSA as standard reference since they are rather poor at doing their job. I traveled for over two weeks with a small spray 3.4 oz bottle (filled with windex to clean my glasses and camera lenses on longer trips) in my carry-on. They didn't notice for two weeks! After that I noticed it when looking for something else. You could now argue that the TSA may not have said something because the bottle was within the limit. That's true but it wasn't in the plastic bag nor did I take it out so that they can scan it separately from the rest.

It's a real hassle having to go through security just for a connecting flight. For that reason I'll try to get all of my connecting flights through a non-UK airport in the future.
Which won't help you in most cases since plenty of airports will require going through security on transfers too. The difference to LHR will be that some airports don't make you systematically go through security. Many origins require going through security.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Totally agree with you! At least at LHR its consistent

At FRA flying Lufthansa ...
connecting from Schengen to non Schengen European flights no security
connecting from European non Schengen to Schengen ... security

connecting from US to Schengen ... no security
connecting from JNB to Schengen ... security

other connections when not on lufthansa on the inbound may mean clearing security twice
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
connecting from US to Schengen ... no security
connecting from JNB to Schengen ... security
Probably due to FRA considering the US clean and SA "dirty" thus requiring security before allowing passengers to mix with passenger having cleared security in FRA or in clean origins. But yes, the layout of FRA isn't helping...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:11 am

I was carrying two bags. A small personal item with my camera equipment and electronics. And another bag with my clothes.

The small bag was inspected because they said they couldn't see things clearly. Like I said, no other airport had issues.

The larger bag with clothing they were concerned about my toiletries. They pulled out every piece from my travel toiletries bag to make sure all liquids were within spec. My toothpaste got trashed because apparently it was too big, although TSA had no problems with it. They were also being weird about my contact lenses.

so I am not clear, your toiletries were inside your larger bag? How big was your toothpaste?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

so I am not clear, your toiletries were inside your larger bag? How big was your toothpaste?
Toiletries were in my larger bag. Toothpaste was a fairly standard US size tube, but too big for carry-on. About half of it was used up, however.

I still have no idea why toothpaste is considered a liquid. It's more solid than liquid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.