Advice on 6 hour LHR layover

Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Advice on 6 hour LHR layover

I will be landing at 10:30 am at LHR from MIA and my next flight is 4:15pm
to Barcelona.

Is that enough time to take the xpress train and spend some time in London
or not?

I am assuming my luggage is sent directly to the connecting flight to Barcelona and all i have to do is go back through security. i just am not sure about the time needed to get to the city and then back through the airport when i get back.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Do you hold an EU/EEA/Swiss passport or other entitlement to use the shorter passport queues?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:48 pm

"some time" yes. I would give yourself a max of 1-2 hours after clearing passport control, , customs, navigating the seemingly endless corridors in LHR, and taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington. This accounts for being back at your gate with some wiggle room to spare.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You could spend "some time" in London, but the question will ultimately be if it's going to be worth it. Personally I'd look at the more closer options. Chiefly Windsor castle and Kew Gardens.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:40 pm

Read a good book, have a meal, get some sleep
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You arrive at 10:30, lets say you are out the airport 11:30, allowing for disembarking, navigating heathrow, clear passport control...

If all goes well you could be out by 11

You would need to be back 2:45 ish

The train to Paddington runs very 15 minutes and takes 15 minutes but Paddington is not really very interesting. Green park. Piccadilly circus, Trafalgar square are all about 45 minute to an hour from heathrow.

So you would get about 1 or 2 hours.

You may want to consider instead organising a taxi to talk you to Windsor castle
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Please bear in mind in your calculation of how much time you actually have the latest time you need to present yourself at the gate for boarding and time to clear security before that.

personally I’d want to be at the security queue an hour before departure time in case of any problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.