Search

Uber being banned from London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ft101
I agree it needs to be reported, but if the victim doesn't want to, should a 3rd party (in this case Uber) have the right to ignore her wishes?
Various third parties have a responsibility to report suspected incidents of sorts. And when it comes to the chances of dealing with a potential repeat (offender or victim/target), if not for 3rd party reporting to authorities mitigating for that risk, such reporting may be not only an obligation of sort but it may be even responsible business practice.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:04 am

"I agree it needs to be reported, but if the victim doesn't want to, should a 3rd party (in this case Uber) have the right to ignore her wishes?"
But that's not what happened. The victims had reported to Uber, in the (mistaken) belief that a full investigation would happen.
Silver Fox and ppp909 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Various third parties have a responsibility to report suspected incidents of sorts. And when it comes to the chances of dealing with a potential repeat (offender or victim/target), if not for 3rd party reporting to authorities mitigating for that risk, such reporting may be not only an obligation of sort but it may be even responsible business practice.
Uber should have told her to go to the police.

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
But that's not what happened. The victims had reported to Uber, in the (mistaken) belief that a full investigation would happen.
I can't follow the thinking here. Someone has just been raped/assaulted and says to themselves they need to report it - Who to? The assailant's employer or the authorities and they go to the first one. Something is missing.

I don't mean either of these replies to defend what allegedly happened, and I'm not overly familar with the case, but something doesn't add up from how it's been described.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
It’s possible to come to a different conclusion about Uber without being either ignorant or abhorrent. @:-)
Those who didn't know that Uber had chosen to ignore incidents of sexual assault, had refrained from informing or cooperating with the Police, and re-employed the perpetrator, are ignorant. I count myself among them. I knew Uber's business practices were suspect but had no idea it stretched to this extent. I suspect most people fall into this category.

Those who did/do know about this and think it's perfectly acceptable to behave like this are abhorrent in my opinion and I make no apologies for that.

Many perfectly happy Uber drivers would lose their livelihoods over this. Many people will face the increased risk of using a completely unlicensed minicab instead of uber.
Those happy Uber drivers are happy because Uber gives them a decent cut of the fare. They do this at a loss and all indications suggest that this is an attempt to shut down the competition. Do you really think this will last forever?

At the same time, those Uber drivers, who hold TFL licences are able to work for other minicab firms. They might not make as much money because those firms need to make a profit, but they will most certainly not lose their livelihoods any quicker than when Uber decide that they need to pay back their shareholders and cut what they pay to their drivers to a bare minimum.

Uber aren't exactly well-renowned for their treatment of their drivers.

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they are stupid or evil.
I haven't called anyone stupid, so please don't say that I have. And yes, I think people who think that rape and sexual assault are OK are fundamentally evil people. I would like to think that most people think the same way. If you knew that something like that had happened, would you turn a blind eye?

And in case you think this is about taxis, it's not. Any employer who is aware of criminal offences committed by their employees should ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice. They should not ignore it. They should not try to cover it up. Having customers who like them, no matter how many, is not an excuse.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

"Many perfectly happy Uber drivers would lose their livelihoods over this."

the precarious nature of the drivers' employment is not something created or exploited by TfL. It is baked into Uber's business model. Already we are at a point where Uber seems "too big to regulate" in London. That's bad for London and the wider world given London's importance.

Uber losing its licence (albeit for other reasons and probably only temporarily) might be just in time for drivers and customers alike to switch across to the various other minicab apps (many of which are just as good as Uber) and save competition in the minicab market. That's good for London (probably).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ppp909
They might not make as much money because those firms need to make a profit, but they will most certainly not lose their livelihoods any quicker than when Uber decide that they need to pay back their shareholders and cut what they pay to their drivers to a bare minimum.
This is speculation. I have not found Uber in London to be particularly cheaper than minicabs. In any respect, by itself it does not justify putting people out of work now.

I haven't called anyone stupid, so please don't say that I have.
I took it as a sharper synonym for ignorant.

I think people who think that rape and sexual assault are OK are fundamentally evil people.
I agree. I hope that Uber will be pressurized to change its policies regarding the reporting of these incidents.

Thousands of people are safely and comfortably using Uber every hour. Many people find that an Uber driver is a safer alternative to a minicab late at night. I am not persuaded that eliminating Uber and moving the criminal drivers to minicab companies will help reduce the level of criminality.

I think it is possible to come to that conclusion without being an abhorrent or ignorant person.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
This is speculation. I have not found Uber in London to be particularly cheaper than minicabs.
Can't speak for most Londoners, but this Manc tends to use Uber for the quality of the end to end experience, rather than going on price.
DYKWIA and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:01 am

Actually, the app is great. The integration with Concur is fantastic for people like me that use it solely for business. It's excellent to know exactly where to meet and drop off, and how long it will take to arrive. It gets around language awkwardness when travelling. (But the Wheely app and Careem do much the same things).

It's just a shame that the conduct of the company is so awful.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
This is speculation. I have not found Uber in London to be particularly cheaper than minicabs. In any respect, by itself it does not justify putting people out of work now.
I need to use a taxi for work on Thursday. I’ve never used Uber but my manager suggested I get a quote and compare it to our usual minicab company.

Uber estimate Ł16-22, minicab Ł30-35.

I’m going to try Uber for the first time.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Cassie55
I need to use a taxi for work on Thursday. I’ve never used Uber but my manager suggested I get a quote and compare it to our usual minicab company.

Uber estimate Ł16-22, minicab Ł30-35.

I’m going to try Uber for the first time.
The other thing you will hate about Uber is that you know where the taxi is, how long they will take to get to you, what route they will take, what make/model it is, who the driver is, the car will be clean, the radio will likely be on an easy listening station, and you don't have to bother with a card/cash.

/sarcasm off.

Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Heartwarming moment when walking home tonight. Cabbie had broken down and was being towed away by RAC.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Heartwarming moment when walking home tonight. Cabbie had broken down and was being towed away by RAC.
It would have been poetic justice if the RAC man had said "sorry mate, I don't want to go that far, I'll never get another breakdown back at this time of night".
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It would have been poetic justice if the RAC man had said "sorry mate, I don't want to go that far, I'll never get another breakdown back at this time of night".
Indeed
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
"Where ya goin' mate?"
"The garage 500 yards down the road."
"Sure. Ł150 mate."
Silver Fox, Calchas and WorldLux like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's hilarious reading some of your comments.

The RAC driver is likely to be on the staff and goes where he / she gets told to go and isn't paid per job like a cabby or uber driver is.

The UBER driver can (as does a mini cab driver) easily refuse to take you somewhere because he / she knows where you want to go before they accept the job. The cabby only finds out when you tell them once they have stopped for you.

An uber car can break down just as a cab can. Or are uber cars immune from mechanical trouble?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.