Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Uber being banned from London

Uber being banned from London

Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Again, there are many other issues that he could be addressing
No doubt, but Transport for London's London Taxi and Private Hire committee can only address a small number of issues.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Can only speak from my own experience, but I've found the quality and professionalism of Uber drivers far outweighs that of taxis.
Analise, DYKWIA, bruceba and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Dreadful news for Uber and riders , being me included. No way will i go back to paying expensive fares to some arrogant/rude black cabbie driver .
Analise and DYKWIA like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What can you expect from the tame midget Mayor of London who is only interested in either grief-whoring or latching onto a cause to attempt to raise any credibility he has. Which is none as far as I am concerned.
This is, to say the least, an odd statement. I don't support the political party the mayor belongs to but he seems even handed. His statement today supported Transport for London's decision but it seemed reluctantly given and I felt it left the door open for Uber to clean up it's act and retain or renew its licence.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:44 pm

I always found it surprising that Uber managed to break into the market in the UK given that it seems virtually impossible to overcome the cabdriver lobby in man other European countries. To the point where in a number of other places where you have Uber..it's just a way of calling a cab.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I always found it surprising that Uber managed to break into the market in the UK given that it seems virtually impossible to overcome the cabdriver lobby in man other European countries. To the point where in a number of other places where you have Uber..it's just a way of calling a cab.
I think in most other European countries cabs were already much less expensive than London black cabs. It's price more than anything that has made Uber such a transformative player in London.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The unexpected upside for some: http://www.suffolkgazette.com/busine...ta-prius-uber/
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CurtainRingSalesman
"Fit and proper" has an established meaning in law. It's used in a wide variety of contexts where persons are required to hold certain licences to deal with vulnerable people or have some sort of responsibility. All taxi drivers and private hire drivers have to be fit and proper people too. But here it is the operator that has been found to be not fit and proper.

It is not the case that 10,000 black taxi drivers have banded together to bribe government officials (good grief). Neither is it the case that if Uber were banned, black taxis would be the only alternative. Apps are here to stay and (imho) Uber's market share would be divided among Lyft, Hailo/Mytaxi, Gett, Wheely, Taxify etc. I use Uber a lot in London but it's not a big deal to switch.
Unfortunately I don't believe Lyft operate in London. I would certainly welcome them here, however.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:28 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Very unfortunate protectionist decision. It's unbelievable that TfL could be so myopic as to think that restricting consumer choice and forcing people who can't afford it to use wildly expensive black cabs is good for overall welfare, or for the welfare of any group outside of the black cab industry.
Analise, Silver Fox and mandolino like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The tweets from some people regarding the Uber ban are positively hilarious.

I rarely take cabs in London anymore, preferring to walk or use the tube/bus, but Uber always wins out over taxis wherever I am.

I got mad when the Black cabs started to become mobile billboards with hideous color paint jobs. Competition is good so I do hope Uber can stay.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Very unfortunate protectionist decision. It's unbelievable that TfL could be so myopic as to think that restricting consumer choice and forcing people who can't afford it to use wildly expensive black cabs is good for overall welfare, or for the welfare of any group outside of the black cab industry.
What? Mini Cabs have been in London for years! Why is Uber special?

Some of the comments here might enlighten you...
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/c...ail/story.html
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
It is my experience that in cities where cab companies offer competitive services including apps with automatic credit card charging and user-friendly features, Uber has had a considerably harder time establishing meaningful market share. When in Scandinavia, I check Uber when taking spontaneous trips to see what the projected wait times and prices are likely to be as compared to a normal cab, but for planned trips I always book ahead with a standard cab company.

I do not find the same to be true in London, where I've found Uber to be generally more useful and user friendly than cabs. I am not by any means price-insensitive, but price is neither my primary nor my secondary reason for choosing Uber when I need to venture beyond collective transport options in London. I've yet to have a negative experience with Uber there (or anywhere else, for that matter.)
mandolino and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by C W
A bit exaggerating, no? IME you can get around most of London with public transport. It's in the early hours where getting around may be more difficult.

While the decision certainly could be qualified as protectionist, bear in mind that Uber is setting foot all over the globe and gaining market shares quickly. AFAIK we're currently in the process of swapping local taxi mafias for one global transport mafia. It seems only fair that Uber plays by local rules. If they do, then I'll be sure that the appeal will be successful. If not, then the decision was probably well deserved and it's up to Uber to change.

Uber's certainly not going to abandon such a huge market without a fight.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
A bit exaggerating, no? IME you can get around most of London with public transport. It's in the early hours where getting around may be more difficult.
No one's arguing that it's impossible to get around London by public transport. It's just quicker and easier to take Uber in many, many cases, and often hardly more expensive. Public transport can be exhausting. If you are young and fit enough not to notice this, all the better, but it makes a huge difference to quality of life for some people.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by C W
In fairness I am all for Uber and I do not agree with this decision but it will not force anyone who can't afford it to regularly use black cabs. People in London who can't afford taxis take busses. Even in the dead of night, the London 24 hour night bus network is safe, affordable, extensive and frequent. The nightbus network in London ar 3am beats the LA regular bus service during the day(not saying much I know).

I agree that black cabs are way overpriced.
Aus_Mal and Silver Fox like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.