Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Uber being banned from London

Uber being banned from London

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909
I'm quite saddened to see how many people are keen to turn a blind eye on unethical business practices and worse, purely because they want to pay less for taxis.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are actually just ignorant as opposed to abhorrent.

This isn't about black cabs. That's another bunch whose act needs to be cleaned up and I for one refuse to use them.
This is about what a truly atrocious racket Uber are.

Denying their licence was the right thing to do. If they clean up their act, play fair, and actually show some consideration for their employees and customers then they would be most welcome for those of us who would like to see a competitive industry.
I have some sympathy with your argument but, by your logic, TfL should summarily ban all black cabs and, while we're at it, all mini-cab operations as well (with the possible exception of Addison Lee). But wait, I've seen Addison Lee drivers doing atrocious things also on the roads, so they too should be banned.

Khan and his cronies at TfL need to remember that they are there to serve Londoners and not the other way around. Yes Uber needs to have its act cleaned up, but summary bans on grounds which, if applied across the board, would apply to all other operators too, is not the way to do it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But wait, I've seen Addison Lee drivers doing atrocious things also on the roads, so they too should be banned.
You've seen Addison Lee drivers sexually assault people? I'm sorry to hear that.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You've seen Addison Lee drivers sexually assault people? I'm sorry to hear that.
No, but black cab drivers over the years have and there has even been at least one murder.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:16 am

I suspect many reading this thread have never taken a bus at midnight.
I've taken loads of London buses at all times of the night. They're fine.

Khan and his cronies at TfL [...]
It seems you're getting a tad overwrought.

We all know that Uber isn't going anywhere - they have just been forced to sort out elements of their operation in London.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:53 am

No, but black cab drivers over the years have and there has even been at least one murder.
There have been plenty of cases of minicab drivers doing the same. That's not the point though. Uber not only knew that an offence had occurred, they choose not only to avoid telling the police as they are both legally and morally (I hope) obliged to do, they also chose to allow the offender to continue working for them.

There are those, mostly black cab drivers, who fundamentally have a problem with competition. The rest of us just have a problem with Uber and the way they behave.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite saddened to see how many people are keen to turn a blind eye on unethical business practices and worse, purely because they want to pay less for taxis.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are actually just ignorant as opposed to abhorrent.
It’s possible to come to a different conclusion about Uber without being either ignorant or abhorrent. @:-)

Many perfectly happy Uber drivers would lose their livelihoods over this. Many people will face the increased risk of using a completely unlicensed minicab instead of uber.

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they are stupid or evil.
GUWonder, Silver Fox and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not the point though. Uber not only knew that an offence had occurred, they choose not only to avoid telling the police as they are both legally and morally (I hope) obliged to do, they also chose to allow the offender to continue working for them.
Exactly. The issue is not that Uber drivers have committed criminal offences per se. There will have been some (rare) criminal offences committed by Uber drivers in the same way as there will have been some (rare) criminal offences committed by other minicab drivers as there will have been some (rare) criminal offences committed by black drivers.

Rather the issue is: when a firm is confronted with a complaint of alleged criminal assault by one of its drivers against a passenger, what should it do? Should it report it to the police or should it remain silent? And should a minicab firm be allowed to keep its licence if it chooses to remain silent and not report criminal offences allegedly committed by its drivers on passengers?

I suspect that, faced with those questions, most people would say: "of course, they should report it to the police" and "of course, they should have their licence revoked." I also suspect that, had you asked that question to all those people who have signed the Uber petition before this decision was taken, they would equally have regarded as self-evident that it is unacceptable for a minicab firm to behave in this way and that TfL should regard such firms as not "fit and proper" to hold a licence and therefore refuse to renew a licence in such circumstances.

But, somehow, just because it is Uber and they loooooove Uber, pfuittt... all that flies out of the window to be replaced by emotion: outrage and fear at the possible disappearance of a beloved service.

Let us face it: one could hardly describe the ethical standards that are expect of minicab firms, including Uber, as impossibly high. On a twenty point scale of such standards, we are perhaps at level 1 or 2. And yet Uber manages to fail even that very basic standard.

It is really not hard for Uber to clean up its act to satisfy these very basic expectations. We are not talking here about issues of exploitation, circumvention of labour laws. etc... We are just talking about Uber abiding by simple rules of behaviour which are not particularly onerous to comply with.

If people are ready to turn a blind eye to breaches of such basic standard for a firm because they like the service the firm provides, it seems to me a sign of a moral compass whose mechanism has gone very badly awry.

Even if one loves the service that Uber provides, even if one hates TfL and one thinks that they are just a bunch of luddites in cahoots with conservative (with a small c) forces in the LTDA, I cannot see how one can turn a blind eye to such flouting of very basic regulatory standards.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
The letter that the police wrote (in case it hasn't been linked already), obtained under FoI:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/met-po...-crimes-2017-8
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

I thought I'd mentioned this before, but if somebody was sexually assaulted, why did they go to Uber rather than the Police?

Has anything been proven?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I thought I'd mentioned this before, but if somebody was sexually assaulted, why did they go to Uber rather than the Police?

Has anything been proven?
Isn't that the whole point. Read that Met Police letter (link above). Uber have failed to cooperate with police in these investigations. I'd expect any Regulator to come down like a ton of bricks on anyone in those circumstances. Also note that this is not a shock to Uber Management however much they claim they weren't aware - tfl have already given Uber a four month extension to clean up their act and they failed to react.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
That link from the London Met says they "ascertained" that rumoured gun the driver carried was pepper spray. The Uber investigation found that it was some sort of (legal) marker spray for IDing assailants and vehicles later. One wonders what method of "ascertaining" it was that the Met used.

In this case, Uber has agreed that they should have told police immediately , since first report was a gun, but what was reported to them initially was not an assault on a passenger but a "road rage" confrontation with another driver. Not someone I'd want driving me but as I alluded before, hardly unique to Uber and much less likely to be reported if it was a normal cab compared to the Uber system which insists on passenger feedback on every journey and driver and positively encourages elaboration, beyond the simple star rating.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mandolino
That link from the London Met says they "ascertained" that rumoured gun the driver carried was pepper spray. The Uber investigation found that it was some sort of (legal) marker spray for IDing assailants and vehicles later. One wonders what method of "ascertaining" it was that the Met used.
Read the letter again.

The letter - 2nd paragraph - states that it was UBER (and not as you say the Police) that had 'ascertained' it was pepper spray - they asked the driver! - and not any sort of dye marker.

Where does it say that UBER said it was a legal dye spray? Because the letter dosen't say that either.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You would have to ask the unfortunate women in question. I can speculate that reporting a sexual assault would be a deeply unpleasant and time consuming experience and some people would wish to put the matter behind them rather than relive.

It is also stated in the letter that Uber intimated to the women allegedly assaulted by the driver that Uber would report the matter to the police on their behalf (which they did not do).

Here is the the letter, devoid of Business Insider's editorialising, which concludes with:
The significant concern I am raising is that Uber have been made aware of criminal activity and yet haven’t informed the police. Uber are however proactive in reporting lower level document frauds to both the [Metropolitian Police Service] and [the London Transport Private Hire department]. My concern is twofold, firstly it seems they are deciding what to report (less serious matters / less damaging to reputation over serious offences) and secondly by not reporting to police promptly they are allowing situations to develop that clearly affect the safety and security of the public.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 29, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
That letter has highlighted a very serious issue. It is unfathomable to me (if true) that Uber and/or any other company does not seem to have any obligation to report it to the Police. That needs to be fixed.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
That letter has highlighted a very serious issue. It is unfathomable to me (if true) that Uber and/or any other company does not seem to have any obligation to report it to the Police. That needs to be fixed.
I agree it needs to be reported, but if the victim doesn't want to, should a 3rd party (in this case Uber) have the right to ignore her wishes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.