Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Travel from Philly to Dublin Via Heathrow - where is immigration?

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I live in the US and am travelling to Dublin, Ireland via London. I fly into LHR on AA and then onward to DUB on BA. Is the LHR - DUB flight considered a "domestic' one given that it is within the Common Travel Area, or will I be entirely within the immigration zone in LHR and only have to clear immigration in DUB? I ask because I am not a US citizen and therefore need to get a UK visa if I need to clear immigration in London. I will have a Irish visa.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:55 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...sit-visas.html
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by gahanna123
I ask because I am not a US citizen and therefore need to get a UK visa if I need to clear immigration in London.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...aspx?i=TIMATIC

What does TIMATIC say for your specific dates/passport/citizenship/residency circumstances?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. I travel frequently between the US and India via LHR, and know that a transit visa is not required then. However I was not sure if this was the case travelling to Dublin as well, because I had read some earlier posts indicating that since Ireland is within the Common Travel Area, the LHR - DUB flight was treated like a domestic one, and therefore we had to go through immigration in London. I confirmed via TIMATIC that this is not the case. Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @gahanna123.

Please follow the redirect for your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Most likely you'll do immigration twice, once in London, and again in Dublin

If flying from the USA to London via Dublin, you'd clear immigrations in Dublin, land as a special CTA flight in London, avoid immigrations but still go through Customs. Heathrow has spent quite a bit of money at T5 recently ensuring that CTA flights can bypass immigration

In Ireland though, it depends on the gate. If you get sent to one of the handful of domestic / CTA gates in Dublin, you wouldn't pass immigration. However, most flights from the UK drop into the main international area, and you still have to go through immigration. The Irish airports approach to the CTA seems to be one with a smaller budget than the UK version!

When you land in Heathrow, you'll need to follow the purple Flight Connections signs. When you get to Flight Connections in your departure terminal (via airside inter-terminal bus if needed), you'll see there are two Flight Connections sections. One for UK+Ireland, the other for International. You'll go through the UK+Ireland one, pass UK immigration, then security, then your flight
NWIFlyer, Calchas and gahanna123 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you Gagravarr, appreciate the detailed response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.