Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which of Four "Extra" Car Rental Charges are Covered by Credit Card in Ireland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

I have a car rental arranged in Ireland. I know that my US credit card covers some of the "optional" insurance items I will be asked about on collection, question is exactly which ones are coverd. There are four separate additional insurance options, as follows
1) Collision (CDW). I am pretty certain this is covered by the CC.
2) Theft Protection (car theft). I believe, but am not certain this is covered by CC.
3) "Super cover" [Eliminates deductible that goes with CDW]. I have no idea if this is covered, or not?
4) Personal accident/Personal effects coverage. Not covered by CC?

Any direct knowledge of which of these is/is not covered is welcome!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
I have a car rental arranged in Ireland. I know that my US credit card covers some of the "optional" insurance items I will be asked about on collection, question is exactly which ones are coverd. There are four separate additional insurance options, as follows
1) Collision (CDW). I am pretty certain this is covered by the CC.
2) Theft Protection (car theft). I believe, but am not certain this is covered by CC.
3) "Super cover" [Eliminates deductible that goes with CDW]. I have no idea if this is covered, or not?
4) Personal accident/Personal effects coverage. Not covered by CC?

Any direct knowledge of which of these is/is not covered is welcome!
Your questions are unanswerable as currently stated. What card(s) do you have?
Some cards will cover CDW up to a certain amount. Likewise on theft, but usually capped at $50k depending on the value of the vehicle.
Supercover is not applicable.
Read this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-confused.html
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your questions are unanswerable as currently stated. What card(s) do you have?
Some cards will cover CDW up to a certain amount. Likewise on theft, but usually capped at $50k depending on the value of the vehicle.
Supercover is not applicable.
Read this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-confused.html

I have a Citi Elite Mastercard, so coverage is up to 100k/car.

Previous thread went all over the place!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:19 am

I have a Citi Elite Mastercard, so coverage is up to 100k/car. Previous thread went all over the place!
Is this not a question for your credit card provider?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
Is this not a question for your credit card provider?
Their written statement is vague, hence my question
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

Their written statement is vague, hence my question
You need to look very carefully at World Elite Mastercards. For many of the car rental benefits to apply, you must book through the CWT (Carson Wagonlit Travel) portal. If you don't, you have no coverage.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You need to look very carefully at World Elite Mastercards. For many of the car rental benefits to apply, you must book through the CWT (Carson Wagonlit Travel) portal. If you don't, you have no coverage.
Huh? I have the World Elite Mastercard benefit booklet in front of me at this moment and there is no mention of any requirement to book through any particular portal. I just returned from renting a car in Ireland and was certainly under the impression that the card provided CDW coverage based on my very careful reading of all the fine print. Where do you see this limitation?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, UA
If you refuse their insurance, be ready for a not-insignificant 'admin' fee firms in Ireland seem to have started charging for the privilege.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by ORDinant
If you refuse their insurance, be ready for a not-insignificant 'admin' fee firms in Ireland seem to have started charging for the privilege.
Yes, Hertz charged us 30 euros for this, for a one week rental (last week). But it was still far less than paying for their insurance.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Maykita
Yes, Hertz charged us 30 euros for this, for a one week rental (last week). But it was still far less than paying for their insurance.
There was one other annoyance worth mentioning: they put a 5000 euro hold on our credit card (plus the actual rental charge) during the period of the rental since we had refused all coverage. They told us if we got the cheapest form of coverage they offered, the hold would still be 2000 euros. The hold rolled off with no problem at the end of the rental period but it did greatly reduce our available credit on that card during our trip.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Maykita
There was one other annoyance worth mentioning: they put a 5000 euro hold on our credit card (plus the actual rental charge) during the period of the rental since we had refused all coverage. They told us if we got the cheapest form of coverage they offered, the hold would still be 2000 euros. The hold rolled off with no problem at the end of the rental period but it did greatly reduce our available credit on that card during our trip.
Much the same happens in the UK if you refuse the car hire company's insurance coverage, though the hold amount is lower.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:42 am

Also, the hold was apparently so large and strange that our credit card company suspected fraud and we had to contact them to say it was legit before we could go on using the card. So it is a little inconvenient to refuse all coverage but for us well worth the savings.

Back to OPs question, I can't speak for OP's card but my credit card benefit booklet (World Elite Mastercard) does clearly indicate covering CDW and auto theft (with 50k limits), but not personal accident and effects. My CC benefits also do something a little similar to supercover in that the credit card will cover the deductible if one's own primary auto insurance covers the loss (with a deductible). I'd recommend OP get hold of the applicable benefits booklet for his/her card because mine is extremely detailed in explaining coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.